Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts corpses  (Read 4500 times)

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Forgotten Beasts corpses
« on: January 14, 2019, 02:26:41 pm »

Hello!
I realized that i have the 2 forgotten beats corpses that i have killed on my stockpiles.
If i seach them on z > stock, they are on the corpses tab, but the stockpile where theyre placed desnt allow corpses.

Whats going on? Do they have any utility? Thank you a lot. Im just asking because i didnt find anything on the wiki, tried to help myself but i just cant figure out whats going on :(

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts corpses
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 02:43:40 pm »

If you can butcher them, they have utility. Butcher a dead animal in butcher's shop, preferably close to the stockpile (because hauling may take too much time and the corpse rots).

"Corpses" stockpile is for sentients now, your stockpile probably has "Refuse" with sub-option "corpses" enabled. Or the beasts died on the stockpile, and there isn't just any other available to move them to.

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 03:09:41 pm »

Thanks for your answer.

I cant butcher them even when they are not roted. One of them hasnt rot for a year (a "pains titans body"). My stockpile doesnt have allowed corpses on refused neighter. Beast didnt die there, dwarfs hauled them to a stockpile that only allows skulls, bones, shells,theeth, horns/hooves.

I have a refuse stockpile with many other corpses and free space, but dwarfs just dont haul the beasts there.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2019, 03:33:20 pm »

Thanks for your answer.

I cant butcher them even when they are not roted. One of them hasnt rot for a year (a "pains titans body"). My stockpile doesnt have allowed corpses on refused neighter. Beast didnt die there, dwarfs hauled them to a stockpile that only allows skulls, bones, shells,theeth, horns/hooves.

I have a refuse stockpile with many other corpses and free space, but dwarfs just dont haul the beasts there.

In case of more exotic titans and forgotten beasts it's possible that what remains is already rotten, or as rotten as it can be, and that counts as bones or shells. Some bodies can't be butchered (because they are either from sentients or made from exotic material, not from regular flesh). If this was butcherable, it would rot in a year for sure...

If you like experiments you can make another small stockpile, and allow only bones for example, and disallow it on the present stockpile. See if this make dwarves move it. Of course forbid all other skulls first. If it doesn't work then try with shells or hair etc.

Check if this body is available in the stocks/corpses list.

This may be also a bug of sorts - stockpiles used to have settings for various forgotten beasts. They don't have this now (though they still have settings for angels), but beasts are brought to the stockpiles anyway. Possible it cannot be disabled. For example full skeletons of fleshy forgotten beasts, which are listed under stocks/corpses, are brought to the refuse/bones stockpile. I suppose your case is such a skeletonized remains.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2019, 03:49:10 pm »

"Refuse" stockpiles and "Corpse" stockpiles are different. "Refuse" stockpiles can hold corpses and body parts of non-sentients and Corpses stockpiles hold the non-butcherable sentients (including the semi-sentients like trolls and animal men).

You need a "Refuse" stockpile with Corpses and Body Parts enabled to hold titan and FB corpses.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 04:44:10 pm »

Try building a butcher's shop near the corpse (or dump the corpse near a butcher's shop) and paint a burrow over the workshop and corpse (so it will only select that one.) Queue up a butcher job, then remove the burrow once it's done.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2019, 05:31:51 pm »

Well, if your refuse stockpile was created by allowing refuse (or as a refuse stockpile) and then forbade the "corpses" sub option, procedurally generated critters are nevertheless hauled there. If you create a refuse stockpile and block everything, and THEN permit bone, etc. procedurally generated critters won't be hauled there. It's a quirk of how stockpiles work with critters that aren't listed. Note that this is based on 0.40.24 experiments, and corpses of non dwarven sapients have moved from "refuse/corpse" to "refuse" since (and reanimated dwarves to the "refuse/corpse" one), so things have change, and thus this might be out of date.

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 09:49:41 pm »

Okay so as i could test, it detects the corpse as bones.

In the image you see the corpse on the stockpile that i said that only has allowed skulls, bones, shells, teeths, horns and hoover.
I created that 1 unit stockpile up, and only allowed bones. Called dwarf to take stuff from the bottom stockpile and here the it is. Its detected as a bone! I guess i can make some bone stuff with a whole pains titans body :/

https://imgur.com/a/Qh1wI9W

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2019, 04:00:46 am »

Depending on how you created the stockpile (see my previous post) you may well conclude the corpse is considered to be skulls, teeth, shells, horns and hooves as well. A corpse is not bones (and cannot be used for bone crafting), but has to be butchered first to yield bones (and a skull). Butchering is done either when the the corpse is fresh (yielding meat, etc. as well) or when the flesh has rotted off it. It can also be noted that non organic procedurally generated creature corpses are completely useless as they can't be butchered into any useful components, and thus will remain as a corpse (and possibly corpse parts) indefinitely.

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 12:19:21 pm »

Well but as you can see at the image, that corpse just got hauled to an *only bones* stockpile.

Ill try to make some bones stuff and test if they use it. Ill inform.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 12:48:24 pm »

Well but as you can see at the image, that corpse just got hauled to an *only bones* stockpile.

Ill try to make some bones stuff and test if they use it. Ill inform.

You can perform such test:
 try to move the corpse to one of two different, new stockpiles.

First one should be made as refuse stockpile (select option r when creating stockpile with p), then change settings to b block all, then p permit all refuse except corpses on it.

Second one should be made as non-refuse stockpile (for example default animals), THEN change settings to d disable animals, e enable refuse and f forbid refuse/corpses.

In both cases do not touch the Corpses main category (which should remain disabled), only Refuse/Corpses is of interest.

This way you will have two stockpiles with seemingly identical setting, yet they should behave differently. The second one should take the corpse, the first one should not. Probably, because I create stockpile in the second manner almost exclusively, starting with animals usually, and enable required category (refuse), then disable what I don't need. This way my refuse also takes FBs and titans, despite having no corpses permitted.

qratz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:51 pm »

You can perform such test:
 try to move the corpse to one of two different, new stockpiles.

First one should be made as refuse stockpile (select option r when creating stockpile with p), then change settings to b block all, then p permit all refuse except corpses on it.

Second one should be made as non-refuse stockpile (for example default animals), THEN change settings to d disable animals, e enable refuse and f forbid refuse/corpses.

In both cases do not touch the Corpses main category (which should remain disabled), only Refuse/Corpses is of interest.

This way you will have two stockpiles with seemingly identical setting, yet they should behave differently. The second one should take the corpse, the first one should not. Probably, because I create stockpile in the second manner almost exclusively, starting with animals usually, and enable required category (refuse), then disable what I don't need. This way my refuse also takes FBs and titans, despite having no corpses permitted.

Yeh mate ure talking about bassic stockpile managment atm... I already did that. Its recognized as a bone item.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2019, 04:14:44 pm »

Yeh mate ure talking about bassic stockpile managment atm... I already did that. Its recognized as a bone item.
Can you make bone goods out of it?

Try disabling bones on the stockpile and see if they still haul it there. Conventional wisdom says they will, because it's controlled by a hidden category.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 04:22:14 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2019, 08:56:06 pm »

How much does it weigh? It seems strange that it became a bone item rather than a skeleton. That is something a severed arm will do after the meat rots off.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:24 am »

This test would say whether it is treated as bone (which I suggested first) or it is just an effect of hidden setting on a corpse (which was suggested by PatrikLundell, and it was also my second suggestion).

I have corpses of long-dead FBs brought to my bone stockpile, but they can be further butchered by butcher shop usually, and converted into a big pile of actual bones (stack), not a single item (*), which can then be used by bonecrafters. This suggests that they are treated as corpse rather than bone.

EDIT *)or sometimes into a single chitin item and a single hair, depending on their composition. Interestingly this hair also is brought to the same stockpile, even if it has hair/wool disabled. By the way, the hair of my beast seems to be bugged, because it can be used to produce threads ad infinitum. Each thread is only 6 value, but the hair is zero, so it can be used to increase value forever.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:43:26 am by Saiko Kila »
Pages: [1] 2