Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Forgotten Beasts corpses  (Read 4551 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Beasts corpses
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 06:37:57 pm »

It seems strange that it became a bone item rather than a skeleton. That is something a severed arm will do after the meat rots off.

Any corpse with no non-rotting components except bones will decompose to a bone-stack. This tends to happen when certain types of creatures (like giant cave toads) who lack durable body coverings (feathers, scales, etc.) are beheaded (removing the skull, horns, etc.). However, these bone-stacks display specifically as bones with an "item count" (if larger than 1).

Judging by the descriptions provided, OP's corpses are not bone-stacks. 

By the way, the hair of my beast seems to be bugged, because it can be used to produce threads ad infinitum. Each thread is only 6 value, but the hair is zero, so it can be used to increase value forever.

The game doesn't display an "item count" for hair, but it's use is still limited by the "size" of the part. Note that a llama produces 15+ thread and a forgotten beast is roughly 50x the size of a llama, so a very hairy forgotten beast could theoretically yield some 800+ thread, but not infinite.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2019, 08:02:27 am »

By the way, the hair of my beast seems to be bugged, because it can be used to produce threads ad infinitum. Each thread is only 6 value, but the hair is zero, so it can be used to increase value forever.

The game doesn't display an "item count" for hair, but it's use is still limited by the "size" of the part. Note that a llama produces 15+ thread and a forgotten beast is roughly 50x the size of a llama, so a very hairy forgotten beast could theoretically yield some 800+ thread, but not infinite.

But where is the counter? I checked the size of the hair, and it doesn't change. In case of llama wool, the size of stack decreases, but here there is no stack, just a single item.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2019, 05:26:53 pm »

But where is the counter? I checked the size of the hair, and it doesn't change. In case of llama wool, the size of stack decreases, but here there is no stack, just a single item.

As stated, the counter is not displayed for hair. In Dwarf Fortress, lack of display is not indicative of lack of existence. You can easily order your forgotten beast hair spun into thread on repeat if you don't believe usage is being tracked. Either the hair item disappears, or you have a new bug to report.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 06:42:25 am »

As stated, the counter is not displayed for hair. In Dwarf Fortress, lack of display is not indicative of lack of existence. You can easily order your forgotten beast hair spun into thread on repeat if you don't believe usage is being tracked. Either the hair item disappears, or you have a new bug to report.

I believed it's tracked, I hoped for info how it's tracked. However, I've found it already. It would be infeasible to spin it in game, because as it turns out it would take about two months to use up the beast's hair (of this particular beast, and with my not so skilled spinners). The cows or yaks have much less "charges" in their hair, and will produce less threads.

Well, it's not a money printing machine, but better than chitin or other useless remains.
Pages: 1 [2]