Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Petition and citizen request how?!  (Read 1770 times)

Romi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Petition and citizen request how?!
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:50:37 am »

Petitions are extremely annoying, since you aren't given any information on the applicant nor able to focus on them. After a while I just decide to accept everyone (I can afford it) and wait for the citizen request and use therapist to get more info. Which worked fine until now, I have a citizen request from someone who isn't listed in therapist, nor shown in the unit citizen/other/dead section, manually I can't find anyone in the inn with that name, nor my nobles are meeting with anyone.

What am I missing? and is there a better way of doing this?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 07:49:41 am by Romi »

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Petition and citizen request how?!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 08:49:29 am »

You don't have to accept right away, you can do it later, after examining the guy. Though I admit that even examining them it's hard, I use dfhack for it (I have my own script for things like skills or size, and use another script for relations, to know if I have a wife or husband of the guy already), but DT is as good.

Look for first names, examine all people in the guest tab (i.e. other), they don't have to have a meeting. If you have dfhack, there is option to enter and find a name, type in part of the first name to narrow selection. If there is no one with that name, then that's probably a vampire or some other miscreant.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 11:26:06 am »

I use Legends Viewer together with a yearly export of Legends info to look up applicants. If the applicant doesn't "exist" it's someone who uses a false name, which typically means they're a vampire or a spy. However, if you accept a spy as resident->citizen the resident acceptance immediately severs the ties to the old civ, and creates a new one with yours. Also, if they're residents/citizens they can't leave unless you kick them out...

I haven't accepted any applicants with a false name (I think all of them were vampires, and thus killed), but I've accepted performance troupes with goblin civ members (at my site), and they're no longer a threat as they're now members of my civ.

I don't know what happens if you accept a spy and then send the bugger away to a site of yours or send them to conquer a site, though.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 12:22:08 pm »

It's also possible to have a former spy of different civ, who just wants to settle after previous adventures. In my case it's much more probable than actual spy, sent to spy on my fortress. They will petition for citizenship, if able, and don't cause problems, as far as I see.

For example I have such a citizen, who is identified as a monster slayer, but in occupations menu is listed as a performer. He was a spy for other dwarven civ, but was captured, then became a poet, then was adventuring, until finally he settled in my fortress. He still uses his fake identity.

Romi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 05:01:25 am »

If you have dfhack, there is option to enter and find a name, type in part of the first name to narrow selection. If there is no one with that name, then that's probably a vampire or some other miscreant.

I have DFhack and I used the search (q) to check the unit screens, trying both first and last name (in case there is some weird letter) I also tried dwardtherapist (with nothing hidden and no filters) same.

I accepted the petition just for fun, still don't see the name anywhere. Also I use custom profession for everyone, so usually anyone new stands out and I don't recall anyone (forgot to check unit count before to compare.)

If the applicant doesn't "exist" it's someone who uses a false name, which typically means they're a vampire or a spy. However, if you accept a spy as resident->citizen the resident acceptance immediately severs the ties to the old civ, and creates a new one with yours.

If so then its a spy, because I just used the option to check if there are any cursed units and there are none.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 05:11:22 am »

All applying visitors should show up in u-menu "others". Then keep it short. If it is a dwarf, then say yes. If it is a group or non-dwarf, say no. Once they get "yes" you will have in u-menu "citizens" some peasants, whom you can't assign any jobs but hauling for next 2 years. Unless some will get depressed, as it happens with psycho system, then you get new application to make them full citizens and they will be yours to deal with as you wish.