Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tessellating Tomb Design  (Read 3402 times)

Karthas077

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tessellating Tomb Design
« on: January 15, 2019, 11:52:12 am »

I've seen a lot of fractal/tessellating bedroom layouts, where the average walk distance is an important factor in their design, but nothing for tombs where the only traffic is likely to be when dropping the body/belongings off. So I decided to do some experimenting on compact shapes and maximizing space efficiency, and I came up with this.

Peasant Floor
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Each tomb is a 3x3 space connected to a 3x3 stair room (only one stair). A random 11x11 slice of the tessellation will have an average of 7.166 rooms, which is more space efficient than pretty much anything except a grid of interconnected tombs (Where you have to walk through one to get to the next)

A lot of people might argue that 3x3 tombs are overkill for non-noble dwarfs, but it patterned easier and allowed for the construction of the following:

Noble Floor

Each tomb is 5x7, interspersed with stairways that lead up/down to peasant floors. The actual pathway connections between stairways and rooms could be adjusted to only have one entrance per tomb by constructing an outer ring to connect to each diagonal strand. Doing so however would prevent this pattern from being extended.

Both patterns can be extended indefinitely in any direction, and even layered on top of each other in any order by replacing any one directional stair with an up/down stair. The only real requirement is that at least one "Noble Floor" is required (somewhere) for access to the "Peasant Floors". I personally stacked mine as Peasant/Noble/Peasant, but any sequencing would work.

If people like these designs, I might be persuaded to upload a quickfort file for each of them ;)
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 11:55:13 am by Karthas077 »

pamelrabo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tessellating Tomb Design
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 04:22:33 am »

Please do. One of my recurring projects is carving a necropolis fortress for each one of the dwarves in my civ, and your design would be neat (also, I'm thinking of using a reduced version of it for surface buildings).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 12:54:18 pm »

I prefer a Moria level design to it's not easy to steal the candy armor and weapons in Balin's Tomb. 
Magma moat and traps included. 

paldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2019, 01:32:04 pm »

I've never understood why people make it a point to maximize 2D space in a 3D map. I mean, I get why you'd do this for tombs, but not bedrooms. The tessellations are usually beautiful, but 200 (currently living) dwarfs can be served by a 6x6x6 sized pattern. Your rooms are obviously going to take up more than 6x6 on each z-level, but you only need 6 z levels to make it happen. You don't have to put all 6 together either, just wherever you think you'll need 36 dwarfs to sleep nearby. Considering how many will die by the time you reach the end of accessible memory, a couple levels like your tessellation makes sense.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:18:23 pm »

The tessellations are usually beautiful

This explains most of why anyone does anything like this in DF, TBH.

The maximizing of space in projects like this is to retain a sense of practicality within the bounds of it's artistic goals.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 07:38:03 am »

I've never understood why people make it a point to maximize 2D space in a 3D map.

In my case it's pretty simple - it's easier to memorize locations of interest on a single z-level of any type. If there are multiple levels with similar/identical layout, like it happens with bedrooms (300-400 citizens) or sometimes with workshops, it can lead to mistakes. I go from the hotkey location, and after too many similar level I find it difficult to quickly pinpoint a place I want to do something to (I know it was three keypresses west from the hotkey, but was it level above or level below?). With layout contained on a single level it's easy, at least to me.

Sometimes I intentionally build differences into the particular level, to make it stand out, despite the overall design being already optimised.

Now, with this particular project my only issue is that I don't see a reason to make tombs for general dorfs. When a dorf with a tomb dies, his items are not inherited, but await transfer to his tomb, littering his room and vicinity of his no-longer-unoccupied body. One sock at a time. Which happens only if there's a free floor space in said tomb. Makes a mess of the bedrooms after some deaths.

However, I see a potential in a "personalise temple district" for this. Once I have dwarfpower, I'm going to do something like that.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 07:22:35 am »

I knew I had this thread somewhere! Earmaked it like a half year ago...

There's a catacomb design I've been using for years in my forts:

The design is fairly intuitive: start with drawing a fuckton of 5-tile crosses, then vertically join them in groups of 4 to form a rhombus. The stairway is itself a cross, and center to the entire ensemble - by which I mean it ‘joined in groups of 4’ with all adjacent rhomboids.

Here's an example of the first dug-out section; the two most distant pods got turned into tombs, and will eventually get engraved depending on the requirements of their owners:

A variation is to use straight connections in the top and bottom hexagonal sections (where I bury pets, who are in all cases fewer than dwarves), but that’s not as pretty:

Will add a "finished work" pic when it's done; at this point, I only dug out about half the place.

(Edit: added spoiler tags, and fixed typos).

EDIT #2: It is finished:

« Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 08:47:35 am by StrikaAmaru »
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 12:10:13 am »

I tend to use dug out veins of minerals. Accessible and as close to staircases as you make them. But while dwarfy, neither visually pleasing nor neat.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 02:48:52 pm by Laterigrade »
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment