Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Toilet unclogging trick I wanted to share  (Read 5632 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Toilet unclogging trick I wanted to share
« on: January 15, 2019, 09:38:04 pm »

I havent seen this one around but I've used it in the past with great success. Obviously works better with partial obstructions as you'll see.

Fill a buclet with water, lift bucket over your head, aim water trajectory towards toilet.
If I've done my math correctly, you're aiming 20kpa of water pressure at the obstruction, which will deal with most problems.  If there is a complete obstruction you can still try, but be cautious with the amount of water as you dont want to overflow
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Toilet unclogging trick I wanted to share
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:59:23 pm »

Truly living up to your name.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2019, 02:17:39 am »

Laugh all you want. One day you'll clog your toilet and you'll remember my words. And you'll say "shit, old man ChairmanPoo was right!"
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2019, 02:27:21 am »

Seriously, what the hell are you putting down there that requires 20kpa of pressure to dislodge?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2019, 02:37:51 am »

Seriously, what the hell are you putting down there that requires 20kpa of pressure to dislodge?

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far...

I have looked upon all that the universe has to hold of horror, and even the skies of spring and the flowers of summer must ever afterward be poison to me.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 02:45:21 am »

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.
Lost my shit here.
Then got the reference, which is still very apt.

This is an interesting trick which I will keep in mind, though I've thankfully had no clogs since my move- since relocating to a new place.
It does sorta sound like a good way to get toilet water everywhere, though.
In my experience:  A toilet brush serves as a crappy toilet plunger.  Particularly if you use it rhythmically, building up a wave effect which is probably similar to what you're suggesting.  Use the water's weight.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:14:55 am »

A toilet brush serves as a crappy toilet plunger.

It will certainly be crappy afterwards.

In all seriousness, I haven't used it with a fully clogged toilet but the bucket of water has done wonders for me in cases where the content refuses to go down no matter how many times you flush,
without even needing to raise it above the height of the toilet itself and with minimal splash.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 11:49:13 pm »

I live in Asia, with a bathroom that is also a shower (no separation, could take a shower while on the john, if I wanted.) The drain which sits in the corner drains rather slow because the building is quite old. Although it's not really an issue, to avoid having water slowly drain throughout the day, I decided to start taking showers standing in what is effectively a large bowl (think of a catering pan). I pour this into my toilet after each shower and noticed something similar. This building, with its old pipes, should have clogs really often - my previous apartment had it almost daily - but I haven't had a clog yet. I figure that frequently flushing it out with high water pressure is probably doing some good.

I use this same strategy for clearing sinks that are draining slow - as I have no garbage disposal.

As I was writing this, I just thought about pouring the water on the drain in the corner too.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2019, 10:59:51 pm »

I just made a comment elsewhere on the forums about my shitty existence. Maybe the advice of the aptly-named ChairmanPoo can help that existence be a bit less shitty.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 03:10:57 am »

If it's related to a clogged toilet it probably will. It wont necessarily help you get a raise at work or a girlfriend (though it MIGHT)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 05:28:06 am »

Perhaps if your boss thinks drain unblocking skills are sexy and worthy of financial compensation?

I'm sure there's some sort of innuendo you could make about cleaning pipes.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 09:16:09 am »

No, sorry. Silly reference to how my life is all about managing shit. Cats, toddler, a toilet that the landlord refuses to replace. It clogs every day or two. Assuming the issue is a partial block somewhere, maybe some high pressure will fix it. Or maybe it'll blow an old pipe loose and get me some free work done.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 10:18:55 am »

ChairmanPoo's crap-tastic anti-poo shitavaganza. Toilet plungers hate him.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 04:14:40 pm »

Although you might want to be careful with pipes that aren't in the ground (second floor, etc.). High pressure can cause pipes to stop being connected, and if it's already unpleasantly full...

Although at the low pressures (20 KPa ~= 1/5 atm) ChairmanPoo is talking about, there shouldn't be a problem.

Bobbop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 02:33:13 am »

I havent seen this one around but I've used it in the past with great success. Obviously works better with partial obstructions as you'll see.

Fill a buclet with water, lift bucket over your head, aim water trajectory towards toilet.
If I've done my math correctly, you're aiming 20kpa of water pressure at the obstruction, which will deal with most problems.  If there is a complete obstruction you can still try, but be cautious with the amount of water as you dont want to overflow

:-[ :-[  It did not work (((
Pages: [1] 2