Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Surrendered foes  (Read 2788 times)

Ronnoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Surrendered foes
« on: August 26, 2018, 09:57:13 pm »

I started a game of adventurer mode for the first time in a while. I made a standard human, got my gear and companions, and set out into the hamlet in search of a group of outlaws terrorizing the town, led by the dwarf Bethri Closedtower. I found a trio of elves who were not hostile, but openly claimed allegiance to the dwarf. I nearly died, but my companions rescued me and we hunted for the single elf who survived the battle. Instead we found a human bandit who we slew easily.
I found the elf but he escaped before we could fight. I headed for Routedportals, the bandit camp which seemed to be the direction someone the elf was fleeing towards. Outside the camp was a human sentry who I snuck up behind and crippled. The sentry yielded so I decided to try and stop the fight. Typically my companions will kill yielding enemies, but after shouting to drop hostilities it seemed they were content to let me speak with the sentry.
I gleaned little information from them other than confirming they worked for the dwarf Bethri Closedtower. I robbed the sentry of their gold, and afterwards tried to fast travel away. I was unable to, so i decided to speak with the bandit about the value of law in an attempt to convert them. They were having none of it, and apparently my companions grew tired of their refusal to obey the law as they butchered the bandit immediately after.

Attempts to get her to follow me, join me on adventures, and guide me to her leader all failed. My question is what can I do with an enemy who has yielded and is at my mercy, other than demand their valuables (I am thinking weapons so they can't attack me, armor if it fits, and any gems or gold they may have).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Surrendered foes
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:20:20 pm »

Not much right now. But interrogation is in the next update (and villaneous plots so that there's actually useful information to extract).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 08:54:53 pm »

I like making them drop their weapons (you can demand their weapons or whatever when they are yielded and they will drop them)

If they arent yielded they usually refuse.

I particularly enjoy demanding their pouches full of coins because i feel like a proper bandit when i do it and they listen :P .

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 09:21:55 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 07:03:09 am »

Just find a stack of wolves. Go to ground and crawl to them . Then silently grab/bite once and slay them all. Butcher corpses and drop everything except bones, when standing on top of campfire. Got to keep place clean, right? Then go to Human village... Carve a bone ring (100-240 value for 2 last qualities). You can have all their pouches with all their contents and they should spawn new ones on new run to forest looking for wolves. Endless pouches for everyone! :D

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 10:26:53 am »

Just find a stack of wolves. Go to ground and crawl to them . Then silently grab/bite once and slay them all. Butcher corpses and drop everything except bones, when standing on top of campfire. Got to keep place clean, right? Then go to Human village... Carve a bone ring (100-240 value for 2 last qualities). You can have all their pouches with all their contents and they should spawn new ones on new run to forest looking for wolves. Endless pouches for everyone! :D
That’s not how that works. New pouches don’t “spawn” if you take the pouch from someone it is gone.(maybe they do though, which would suck, and I haven’t tested that, so I can’t confirm or deny), try robbing a lord or lady and leave and come back and see if it “refills” I can test it but I don’t have infinite free time but I highly doubt it will “refill”.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:37:30 am by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 08:28:54 am »

I never robbed. I just sold bone rings. After I got few of those pouches for myself (one for gold, one for silver, one for coppers, one to keep change, <-x2 human civs, plus 2 pouches to keep any hypothetical future dwarven currencies), I just traded bone rings for coins only. As result, the humans were carrying 2 pouches instead of 1. !st kept inside the bone ring I sold. Legendary bone carver at work. :)

I was looking into purchasing an artifact book, as it didn't sell for 220 coins worth in bone rings. So, when I arrived with 10k+ coins to purchase it... the price asked for the artifact was merely 280 coins. I was like... what? Why there are no prices in Adventure Mode? Grrr... Oh well, I stored some coins in pouches and dropped them in their currency villages. Upon one of the arrivals I saw some of those pouches got lots of coins removed, but it didn't matter. I couldn't buy with them anything of worth really. Specially that steel armor in human size comes as large.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:48 am »

I never robbed. I just sold bone rings. After I got few of those pouches for myself (one for gold, one for silver, one for coppers, one to keep change, <-x2 human civs, plus 2 pouches to keep any hypothetical future dwarven currencies), I just traded bone rings for coins only. As result, the humans were carrying 2 pouches instead of 1. !st kept inside the bone ring I sold. Legendary bone carver at work. :)

I was looking into purchasing an artifact book, as it didn't sell for 220 coins worth in bone rings. So, when I arrived with 10k+ coins to purchase it... the price asked for the artifact was merely 280 coins. I was like... what? Why there are no prices in Adventure Mode? Grrr... Oh well, I stored some coins in pouches and dropped them in their currency villages. Upon one of the arrivals I saw some of those pouches got lots of coins removed, but it didn't matter. I couldn't buy with them anything of worth really. Specially that steel armor in human size comes as large.

You can press A and O to ask for or offer currency when trading.
I am an indie game dev!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 12:42:22 pm »

You can press A and O to ask for or offer currency when trading.

It works only, if you have correct type of currency with you. If you have only goods for a trade, then it doesn't help. You will be asked only for more goods to be offered in trade. Missing information about general value of items hits Adventure Mode hard in the barter trade.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:44:45 pm »

I agree that its awkward (one civs currency doesn't work in another civ's shops), also yeah i wish you could put points into http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Appraiser in the beginning of the game to get similar prices like you get in fort mode that show up.
edit: I asked on FOTF
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 12:50:46 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 01:02:06 pm »

Every trade suppose to train appraiser skill too. I did many trades. Even in depot with proper depot trader. Still I didn't get appraiser even to dubbing (1) level. Odd. I did invest in judge of intent on start of adventure though. I skilled it to expert(9) level by the 10th day of 3rd month.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:41:42 pm »

Why there are no prices in Adventure Mode?

you know you can [v]iew the item on the trade screen and it shows you its value, right?  like, it’s a pain in the neck having to look up and sum prices by hand instead of just having a column and running total for it, but you definitely don’t have to guess unless you want to for rp purposes or something.  this goes for both shopkeepers and random ppl you “exchange goods” with

everything sells/trades for its value exactly, there’s no markup or discounts, no sentimental or clearance prices, and nobody cares about “need” (anyone will happily trade you their weapon and entire wardrobe for an equivalent value of useless carved bone figurines, as long as they’re willing to trade with you at all)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:38 am »

you know you can [v]iew the item on the trade screen and it shows you its value, right?

You made me to start up the adventure, come up to closest dwarf and open personal items trading again. To repeat same again "v" operations on items on both sides of the trade... still no price. Only information about item's weight. It is good to know weight, as you end carrying everything by yourself in Adventure Mode, but... this is still no information about value of the item, right?

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 06:11:13 pm »

did you scroll down? post a screenshot

edit: e.g. this is the [v]iew screen i see: https://imgur.com/a/kpk1XGA

edit2: aaaaand it's just occurred to me that that value field is probably part of the "More information (DFHack):" section, so i guess you don't have it if you're playing without dfhack  ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 06:56:27 pm by HungThir »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 08:33:20 pm »

did you scroll down? post a screenshot

edit: e.g. this is the [v]iew screen i see: https://imgur.com/a/kpk1XGA

edit2: aaaaand it's just occurred to me that that value field is probably part of the "More information (DFHack):" section, so i guess you don't have it if you're playing without dfhack  ???
Yeah, thats df hack. But it also shows its doable for toady.
I am an indie game dev!