Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How hearth-person invite works?  (Read 3761 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How hearth-person invite works?
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:27:54 am »

My Dwarf has built own site and zoned it as "Main Hall". There was a popup on screen announcing him as its lord. I tried claiming lairs before, but it wasn't working but creating new groups for my dwarf to be lord. This time after creation of 3rd group it worked finally. So, next step would be to invite some dwarves to be guards, right?

Clicking "invite listener to become a hearthperson" results always in "I cannot accept this honor. I am sorry".

I tried in local fortress and starting Hillock. No soldiers, no peasants, no woodcutters, no none. Not even local meadhall's drunks want to become hearth-persons. What am I doing wrong?

In starting Hillock: legendary hero, feared killer and legendary hunter.
In civilization: legendary hero and feared killer.

I tried asking also in a hillock without any standings, which belongs to different dwarven civilization, which however has standings: legendary hero, feared killer and legendary hunter. Also negative.

My hero is in social skills:

talented persuader,
talented judge of intent,
dabbling intimidator,
novice flatterer,
talented speaker,

and in attributes:

above average linguistic ability,
above average empathy,
above average social awareness.

I have also 5 adventure followers: 2 recruits and 3 axedwarves.

What am I doing wrong? Is there something special I have to accomplish to be able to invite someone to become hearth-person and guard my adventurer's site?

How hearth-person works? Are there some limits set for how many hearth-persons/adventurers/performers/travelers you can have? If so, then what are those for my adventurer?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 06:39:20 pm by Sarmatian123 »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How hearth-person invite works?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:37:59 pm »

I have solved the mystery of inviting hearth-persons!

Player needs to click "bring up specific incident or rumor", then wait through 1 min of DF freeze on 4ghz cpu... When DF starts responding again, then write down "conflict fight"... then scroll about dozen pages down to find description about slaying some famous wild beast. Then invite works finally.

What a horrible process. Particularly, when DF freezes, but thanks magic filter somehow still doable.

Question still standing is:
1. Should I somehow equip with armor and weapon the hearth-person for the guard duty?
2. How many hearth people can serve under my rule?
3. I have only 8 beds in my Main Hall, but do those matter in adventure mode?

Also... I've been to human hamlet...

4. Why Dwarves have no pouches for moneys? If economic system ever will be introduced, shouldn't they have a pouch? Also... how come Dwarves can not wear money pouches? There is no "large" size on these pouches.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 11:35:13 am »

I don't know if it is a bug or not... All dwarven soldiers, I ever encountered in my now 1 month old adventure, are on "important mission" and can not be recruited into following my adventures. Even if they are already successfully invited to be a hearthperson.

I resorted to recruit into adventure peasants, mostly woodcutters, as they come with battleaxes and got them into full metal gear. I also invited successfully all my companions into being hearthperson. It didn't change a thing.

What is more puzzling is, those peasants whom I invited as hearthpersons, but not into adventuring, just stay in their regular place. They do not set to guard my camp for example or any of those 2 lairs I claimed either.

I am little confused what hearthperson does in adventure and what benefits are of having hearthpersons...

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 02:12:08 pm »

There's basically no point to them beyond that the game will select a new lord from the heartspeople after you die, and I guess they try to defend the camp. I did have one situation where recruiting all heartspeople from a town meant that there were no squad captains to defend the town so it got captured in the week after my aventurer died. The game is unfinished.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2019, 03:12:51 pm »

being a hearthsperson is more like being an elite guard. Getting one probably makes it easier to claim sites without making a new Civ every time, being a lord means you can ask and or demand for tributes from other lords and set up agreements.
which the whole thing dips into the messing around with the world that slowly being added back in.

Getting peasants to become hearthspersons mean they live a daily life in their town then move to protect the small micro camp of some lord.
retiring and unretiring will net you some local nobles or folks to hang out at the site.

it probably helps that Becoming a hearthsperson is a difficult task of kissing up to a lord going from a peasant than it is to just starting as one.
then again it's possible to become a lieutenant and any other noble position that is appointed by someone else.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 01:42:35 pm »

I have solved the mystery of inviting hearth-persons!

Player needs to click "bring up specific incident or rumor", then wait through 1 min of DF freeze on 4ghz cpu... When DF starts responding again, then write down "conflict fight"... then scroll about dozen pages down to find description about slaying some famous wild beast. Then invite works finally.

What a horrible process. Particularly, when DF freezes, but thanks magic filter somehow still doable.

Question still standing is:
1. Should I somehow equip with armor and weapon the hearth-person for the guard duty?
2. How many hearth people can serve under my rule?
3. I have only 8 beds in my Main Hall, but do those matter in adventure mode?

Also... I've been to human hamlet...

4. Why Dwarves have no pouches for moneys? If economic system ever will be introduced, shouldn't they have a pouch? Also... how come Dwarves can not wear money pouches? There is no "large" size on these pouches.

Spreading rumors isnt hard, just tell them you slew somebody usually your most recent kill is at the top, then they will accept. You can also tell a story of you killing someone which is actually alot easier (since you can then search by name)

Becoming a hearthperson yourself means you can get tasks (agreements) from your lord to complete which show up as agreements in the quest log and gets pinned to the top of your quest log in the current version, which is handy. I always become a hearthperson (to do that just tell a lord about some kill you have and they will accept you), its actually not hard.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 01:44:25 pm »

being a hearthsperson is more like being an elite guard. Getting one probably makes it easier to claim sites without making a new Civ every time, being a lord means you can ask and or demand for tributes from other lords and set up agreements.
which the whole thing dips into the messing around with the world that slowly being added back in.

Getting peasants to become hearthspersons mean they live a daily life in their town then move to protect the small micro camp of some lord.
retiring and unretiring will net you some local nobles or folks to hang out at the site.

it probably helps that Becoming a hearthsperson is a difficult task of kissing up to a lord going from a peasant than it is to just starting as one.
then again it's possible to become a lieutenant and any other noble position that is appointed by someone else.

You are forgetting that hearthpeopel players can get agreements from their lords (bring up service blabla bla) is the dialog option you choose. Which are the only "proper quest" that currently exists in the game (though you can get similar agreements as a liutenant), it then shows up in your agreements list.
I am an indie game dev!

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 11:46:42 pm »

The starter peasant Dwarf begins as member of local hillock's citizens and as member of local Dwarven civilization. However, how this works in this feudal Dwarven society, that he is not hearth person to anyone? Logical would be, that he is a hearth person to local baron/major/settlement leader, but he is not it seems. Can you be hearth person of many leaders or just one?

It would be handy to have in vanilla DF some information on hero on those matters, alike z-d or z-k or z-k. :S

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 02:39:38 am »

The starter peasant Dwarf begins as member of local hillock's citizens and as member of local Dwarven civilization. However, how this works in this feudal Dwarven society, that he is not hearth person to anyone? Logical would be, that he is a hearth person to local baron/major/settlement leader, but he is not it seems. Can you be hearth person of many leaders or just one?

It would be handy to have in vanilla DF some information on hero on those matters, alike z-d or z-k or z-k. :S
should be under the Quest menu in persons where the person that is your lord or your group.
so it would be under q than z.

also you don't get hearth person dialog on any other lord unless they agree to letting you hearth for them.

on the subject of quests that hearthpersons get yeah I guess I was talking about everything else about lords and hearthpersons that I forgot about the most common thing you can do which is get quests that are legit quests and not walking to a point of interest to do something about and bring up as a rumor later.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 02:47:32 am »

"Q"-menu. 14 pages long. 219 notable entries for people and I didn't talk with anyone really yet for quests and such. I need to go through 219 entries to find the one relating to my peasant dwarf in matters of hearth? There simply must have to be easier way to do this. It is like wading through 295 pages of "conflict fight" filtered rumors to tell people, you killed the demon leader of goblin civilization.

This situation in Adventure Mode should be rectified long time ago. Either by better filters or specialized menus. Imho that is.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 12:56:22 pm »

"Q"-menu. 14 pages long. 219 notable entries for people and I didn't talk with anyone really yet for quests and such. I need to go through 219 entries to find the one relating to my peasant dwarf in matters of hearth? There simply must have to be easier way to do this. It is like wading through 295 pages of "conflict fight" filtered rumors to tell people, you killed the demon leader of goblin civilization.

This situation in Adventure Mode should be rectified long time ago. Either by better filters or specialized menus. Imho that is.

The lord is always in meed hall.
I am an indie game dev!

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2019, 07:53:53 am »

But... who doesn't love spaghetti