Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Do you still need dining halls?

(1/2) > >>

snow dwarf:
I was really wondering if you could forgo designating a dining hall from a table and just only use a tavern designated from the (i) meeting zone. And then if I designated a dining hall and a separate tavern what will happen? I really enjoy giving different rooms their own anesthetics and it doesn't really fit for taverns to be huge halls filled with chairs and tables instead of being cozy little wooden buildings.

Saiko Kila:

--- Quote from: snow dwarf on January 17, 2019, 07:19:32 am ---I was really wondering if you could forgo designating a dining hall from a table and just only use a tavern designated from the (i) meeting zone. And then if I designated a dining hall and a separate tavern what will happen? I really enjoy giving different rooms their own anesthetics and it doesn't really fit for taverns to be huge halls filled with chairs and tables instead of being cozy little wooden buildings.

--- End quote ---

You can do as you wish, mix up, and join. I don't use tavern zone at all (except a small part of booze storage, to keep innkeepers going), instead designate dining rooms from tables, and attach them to the tavern. Tavern can have multiple rooms (including offices or bedrooms) and zones attached in locations screen. They can be rooms, zones, or both. They can be located in different levels and places. The dining rooms can be designated as meeting hall or not, doesn't matter. I added a meeting hall/dining room to the tavern, haven't seen much difference, really, except the secret police innkeepers started to cater to people in the meeting hall. But before that the meeting room was separated from tavern for years.

callisto8413:
Interesting - I wad wondering about that.  Few people use the Dining Room and seem to use the Tavern or just eat their food in the stockpiles.  Thanks for the question and the answer.

PatrikLundell:
As opposed to Saiko Kila, I just use a tavern zone and have tables and chairs in it (plus a dance floor). I do make dining rooms for the nobles that require them, though, but they're not part of any tavern. Thus, there are several way to get this working (although having bot a tavern zone and a tavern designated from a table within the zone resulting in stuff in containers counted twice, or at least it did (the bug may have been fixed).

pamelrabo:
Once your place is really big and deep, it's convenient to have several dining rooms to avoid long walks.

Your magma smelter operator is hungry, but why should he ascend 120 z levels + corridors when there's a convenient dining hall every 20 levels or so?

Also, it allows for more customization, you can do theme dining rooms, plant statues of the deities associated with each work zone, etc.

This is how I do it, anyway. Probably it's in fact worse, but I like it. Like having several wells around.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version