Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Which version for less !!instability!! and more !!quality of life!!?  (Read 1097 times)

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Pretty much what the title says - I've played on and off since .3.X but not touched the game since multi-tile trees were introduced.

I like being able to make places that my Dwarves can call their Home Away From Mountainhome while taking care of their needs; of managing a fort as it grows and I branch into trying to keep it sustainable throughout goblin incursions and forgotten beasts. I'm not against !!fun!! as such, but I like to feel that things are manageable without a high level of stress on the part of the Overseer.

I've looked at the patch notes and it seems .44.X has some issues with keeping dwarves happy/stress-free and also with friendships being formed?

If I was to dive back in, what version would you recommend?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 06:22:39 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: Which version for less !!instability!! and more !!quality of life!!?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 07:10:55 am »

The version just before the psychology release is good if you want to have a stable fort. If you're going for adventure mode, I'd stick with the latest. Nemesis load unit came back with terrifying vengeance and was not fully fixed until a certain version (prior to that it continued but stopped saying nemesis load unit), and I can't remember which.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 12:55:51 pm »

Current version with dfhack and remove-stress command.

You would need dfhack in the end anyway when fps drops due too many items. Also it allows to set up auto save. Auto saves reduce crashes to nuisance instead of disaster.

Older version would not need remove-stress but lacks interaction options with world.

Not sure if this applies to mac users. I saw some forumpost dfhack is a bit hard to setup on that.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2019, 09:57:19 pm »

To be fair you can set up autosaves in the init files as well. I do them seasonally so I'd only lose about an hour's work at a time. With backups in case.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »

There is also a raw file tweak to lessen the stress received from rained on or saw someone die. 

There's also option to expel dwarfs citizens from the fort that are showing these "don't handle stress very well" traits.