Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Whats the traders problem?  (Read 1053 times)

Sgt.Awesomeness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Whats the traders problem?
« on: January 19, 2019, 08:51:03 pm »

I was recently trading with a human caravan with a VERY big trade i offered about 7k in profits...

They demanded 20k in proftits

Eventually he got impatient and i settled for 18k

Does anyone know the sweet spot for these things or bend over and give up your jeweled flasks

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the traders problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2019, 09:21:15 pm »

How much was what you were buying worth?
I've found it to be around 40-50%.
I shoot for 50%. Depending on the broker's skills, sometimes the trader is ecstatic at 40%, sometimes they won't take anything under 60% without a counteroffer.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Sgt.Awesomeness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2019, 09:23:20 pm »

How much was what you were buying worth?
I've found it to be around 40-50%.
I shoot for 50%. Depending on the broker's skills, sometimes the trader is ecstatic at 40%, sometimes they won't take anything under 60% without a counteroffer.

I believe it was around 30ish but i wasnt exactly taking notes.

But i remember it was a LOT of stuff

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2019, 09:28:24 pm »

The secret is to only provide enough to allow the 7k profit, and preferably significantly less than that, even. Any excess you have, unselect it from the trade depot menu. If they really will not accept it, then try going higher.

The key is, the game considers how much more it could possibly squeeze out of you for this transaction. Take away the fat, and offer all of whats left, and the game concedes its probably getting the best possible deal. I try to give them like 15-20% profit total.

The other part of the equation, is that you need the highest skilled broker possible. Negotiator, persuader and intimidator skills all factor into trading success. Appraiser just gives you prices and doesnt need to be above novice to my knowledge, and trains fast too.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2019, 03:16:32 am »

I was recently trading with a human caravan with a VERY big trade i offered about 7k in profits...

They demanded 20k in proftits

Eventually he got impatient and i settled for 18k

Does anyone know the sweet spot for these things or bend over and give up your jeweled flasks

Don't look for absolute value. Look for a relative value, i.e. percentage, because that's what they do. Initially, with relatively low trading skills, offer them 100% profit (you buy 50k, give them 100k of goods). Later, or if have some proficiency in trading skills, you may give only 50% of profit (you buy 50k, give them 75k). With high enough skill, and some luck, you can offer only 20% or so profit.

Then there's their mood. If they are ecstatic, the profit for the next transaction (assuming you make multiple transactions with the same trader, which in my opinion is easier and better) may be even lower, in single digits. But you have to have both good skills AND a happy trader. That's why it's best to make them ecstatic with few small transactions with 100% profit first, before any big trade.

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2019, 07:03:31 am »

Mispost.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 07:09:49 am by Deus Machina »
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.