Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Sleeping Rain: Weapon Usage  (Read 2020 times)

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Sleeping Rain: Weapon Usage
« on: January 20, 2019, 10:52:10 pm »

So, idk if this has been reported yet or anything, but I apparently embarked on an evil glacier that only rains the cure to insomnia. It knocked all my Dorfs out within the first second and I was prepared to just quit, but I stayed and soon enough, they all woke up no worse for wear.

Just think of the weaponization properties of this!

The Rain
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Effect

The Result

Thoughts?
The Tale of Runlance - A Succession Fort in a Dying World

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
Re: Sleeping Rain: Weapon Usage
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 10:55:11 pm »

Heres a link to the Discord Serevr where the Succession Game for this particular Fort is taking place:

Link

While the drink stocks run low and violence is rampant, the narcissistic tyrant demands a monument to his name

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2019, 11:14:28 pm »

Further !SCIENCE! on this weather: Evidently it only works once. The Rain came again and knocked out a Yeti that wondered on the map, but my dorfs caught out in it didn't fall asleep again and continue working on.

They are still covered in the stuff from last time, so maybe it only works when freshly applied?

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:36 pm »

Update, it is raining a third time, the dorfs remain unaffected, but the yeti and Animals fell asleep again? I am baffled by this slightly less than malevolent weather

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2019, 03:15:04 am »

They are still covered in the stuff from last time, so maybe it only works when freshly applied?
Only the fresh rain causes the unconciousness (imagine a pile of dwarfs all sleeping because they all attempted to rescue the first "rained on" dwarf...)

If you are embarked on multiple biomes, or your dwarfs were working on above-surface construction, they might have luckily avoided the rain at that time by being under cover or in the other biome.

Does your biome also reanimate? That would effect weaponizing options, and it also makes the rain more dangerous, for friend or foe.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2019, 06:22:42 am »

The most obvious application would be that you could get the drop on invaders and murder them in their sleep.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

TheImmortalRyukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Story Weaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 10:14:39 am »

I'm on a  glacier, the Dorfs hard 0 cover. And as far as I can tell, we're not reanimating. And yeah, this is a succession fort, so I only play the first year for now, but this makes things interesting. For an evil glacier, it's not that evil

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 02:15:41 pm »

I had rain like that once.

Birds would enter the map, get covered in the stuff, pass out, fall out of the sky and explode.

That was entertaining.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 09:27:13 am »

I did some science way back in DFVD and it seems that evil yuck only effects dwarves when it's applied, not just whenever they're in contact with it. This makes sense because otherwise a dwarf would get some yuck on it's hand, constantly have the yuck debuff applied and inevitably be subject to some horrible fate. In addition a coating of yuck means that no new coating will occur, if there's yuck on your hand evil rain won't put any new yuck on.

The end result is that if you've been yucked on and you haven't washed the yuck off you're basically inoculated to yuck. Use your home-field advantage to thrash gobbos.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2019, 12:25:20 pm »

This is when dwarven bathtub project becomes a hindrance.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 03:00:03 am »

I had rain like that once.

Birds would enter the map, get covered in the stuff, pass out, fall out of the sky and explode.

That was entertaining.
That is hilarious.

Contaminants tend to migrate to the walls of a pool of water.  Since walls are tiles with no "inside" or "outside", if you dig a corridor around the walls of a bathtub, dwarves can scrub the walls clean from the exterior and thus clean the bath, preventing it from becoming a permanent source of contamination.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 04:19:12 am »

:
Contaminants tend to migrate to the walls of a pool of water.  Since walls are tiles with no "inside" or "outside", if you dig a corridor around the walls of a bathtub, dwarves can scrub the walls clean from the exterior and thus clean the bath, preventing it from becoming a permanent source of contamination.
The comment referred to the fact that the bathtub removes the contaminant and thus allows a new batch (and effects) to be applied, while not scrubbing it off "inoculates" the dorf, rather than issues with the tub itself.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2019, 12:03:54 am »

:
The comment referred to the fact that the bathtub removes the contaminant and thus allows a new batch (and effects) to be applied, while not scrubbing it off "inoculates" the dorf, rather than issues with the tub itself.
You are of course, correct.  It's so much of an instinct for me to want my dwarves to be clean that my main concern was "Oh no, if they are re-contaminated they'll fall asleep again!" and not fully realizing that "They are immune so long as they remain dirty."
"Urist had a little lamb
his sooty foot he put."

robofish7591

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 07:33:36 pm »

Now the question is, could you apply some of this stuff onto crossbow bolts for some dwarven tranquilizer guns? :P
Pages: [1] 2