Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No invasions, siges.  (Read 1069 times)

karbomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No invasions, siges.
« on: February 03, 2019, 02:21:14 pm »

I am starting my 5th year and I only hard 1 titan attacking. No ambushes, thievs or snachers nothing. Peace and quiet. Is it normal? I have around 130 population.

CyberianK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No invasions, siges.
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 02:42:03 pm »

Are you at war with the Goblins? And was there Goblins near when you embarked?

Also you can attack one of their sites. And sometimes they are busy with other sites but might eventually come to you.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2019, 04:35:46 pm »

War with goblins isn't needed. They'll start a war by attacking you.

Goblin neighbours are needed. If there are hundreds of sites in between you and the goblins, they'll most likely be attacking someone else. A decent sized population of goblins is also needed of course. How old is your world? What's the population of your nearest Dark Fortress?

Raid goblins to persuade them to attack you. They'll forget the distance restrictions then.
Having visitors, should ensure spies which may or may not help (no real statistics on how well that works yet).

karbomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2019, 05:23:33 pm »

I checked the "c" tab and only two dwarven, one human and one elven Civs are listed here. World history was set to 250y so now it's 255. The nearest Fortress is 7 days trip from me and has 4000 population with 4 smaller attached to it with only double digit numbers. Theres also goblin city slightly above it with another 4000.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:29:20 pm by karbomer »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2019, 05:38:42 pm »

I checked the "c" tab and only two dwarven, one human and one elven Civs are listed here. World history was set to 250y so now it's 255. The nearest Fortress is 7 days trip from me and has 4000 population with 4 smaller attached to it with only double digit numbers. Theres also goblin city slightly above it with another 4000.
Ok, so you may be suffering a distance problem.
That's easily solved by raiding one of those 4000 pop fortresses.

Before you choose your embark spot, check the list of your "neighbours". It's a good idea to embark with goblins in that list.

It's a pain, but ways of making the world more dangerous and helping ensure your fortress is in more imminent danger are slowly added in each major update. For now you just have to work around it as you would work around the issues in any other unfinished game which you're testing.

As for thieves and snatchers, they'll come if you're near kobolds and goblins. And not if you're not. One day it'll mean unique challenges for each fortress, for now it means no snatchers and thieves.

And only elves ambush right now. Annoy them (or attack them) and you should get attacked. Next release might see bandit ambushes I suppose. To early to tell yet.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 05:43:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

karbomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2019, 06:34:45 pm »

Thanks, I will look for those next time I am embarking. I guess for know I need to annoy elves because literally nothing is happening. One lame Timber Mountain Titan and some Olmman in Cavern.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 10:14:12 pm »

There are also ways to alter the triggers which start to make you a target for goblins and others. Each civ and each meagabeast and semi-megabeast has siege triggers based on population and wealth. Editing these down from default (80 pop for goblins with no siege trigger based on wealth for example) to something much lower will ensure they're thinking about you from year 1.

Instructions are at the wiki. Basically you just edit entity_default.txt and set each trigger for each entity as you like. I forget which file contains megabeasts but each had it's own individual set of triggers. Titan triggers are set in Advanced Worldgen (think that effects Forgotten Beasts too).

If you can set your options in vanilla Dwarf Fortress, this is just the same. Think of it as an advanced options menu rather than "modding".

Something to bear in mind for your next world maybe!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 03:06:23 am »

Note that the 'c'-'c' screen does NOT show what neighbors you've got, only the ones you've met. Before embarking you can see which neighbors you have, but they won't show up on the c-c screen until they've actually visited.

I believe the Titan attack trigger is for Titans only, and that FBs don't have any triggers (like necros): it's easy enough to just block caverns, while it's a lot harder to block access to the surface.

As mentioned, having goblins as neighbors pre embark doesn't mean much if there are 100 juicy targets in between them and you. If you want to basically ensure attacks you should make sure to be their closest neighbor (and, of course, that they have the numbers to mount decent sieges).

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2019, 04:10:04 am »

The wiki has "Forgotten beasts are attracted by wealth and population size. They start coming from breached caverns once the population reaches 20" and I've not seen anything to contradict that.

Though in terms of an editable trigger I don't remember there being one for FB's either.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 05:28:38 am »

The wiki has "Forgotten beasts are attracted by wealth and population size. They start coming from breached caverns once the population reaches 20" and I've not seen anything to contradict that.

Though in terms of an editable trigger I don't remember there being one for FB's either.
Having deja vu. Think we had this discussion a while ago and it ended "So the wiki is wrong!", "So edit it then!" before all involved forgot about it and went on with their lives.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 06:09:35 am »

I remember nothing.  (Totally different to, I admit nothing.  :P)

There was a recent-ish discussion about wealth not currently actually being an effective trigger, even if enabled.  That is likely the case though I haven't tested. 

I have seen FB's very early in some of my forts, well before the 50 pop level sometimes even as low at 20-30ish, although it is possible that there is in fact no minimum as I don't rush to breach the caverns in the first few months.  Semi-mega's I've also experienced before 80 pop but after 50 which also accords with the wiki.  And 80 seems to have held for sieges from other civilizations (assuming no raiding) and titans.  All with vanilla settings. <shrug>

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 06:41:48 am »

I remember nothing.  (Totally different to, I admit nothing.  :P)

There was a recent-ish discussion about wealth not currently actually being an effective trigger, even if enabled.  That is likely the case though I haven't tested. 

I have seen FB's very early in some of my forts, well before the 50 pop level sometimes even as low at 20-30ish, although it is possible that there is in fact no minimum as I don't rush to breach the caverns in the first few months.  Semi-mega's I've also experienced before 80 pop but after 50 which also accords with the wiki.  And 80 seems to have held for sieges from other civilizations (assuming no raiding) and titans.  All with vanilla settings. <shrug>
80 pop is goblins (and other civilized entities are all 80 I think). Each entity and each megabeast has its own independent set of triggers. Giants are different from dragons, etc.

karbomer

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2019, 07:40:29 am »

Then either they are afraid, dead or away because I am hitting 140 and still I only had 1 Titan. I let Monster slayers roam Cavern and only think that happend is my Miner had to go down to save two of them by slamming his copper pick into Blind Ogre head. I thought I will die horribly around year 1-2 because it's my first Fortress in a couple of years but despite some mistakes and not finding any coal or metal better than copper I slowly grow bigger. Rather my population grows bigger, industry still needs alot of work.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 07:43:20 am by karbomer »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 07:41:34 am »

Megabeasts default to 80, while semi megabeasts default to 50, although each race has its own adjustable attack trigger parameter (I change them all to 14) as Shonai_Dweller said. The siege pop trigger for civs defaults to 3 = 80 for all civs (again, as stated by Shonai_Dweller).

I've definitely had FBs in in the caverns of my dead civ fortresses with less than 20 dorfs (and no residents) before raiding was introduced, and probably after that as well (until I found out that raiding is completely broken for dead civs).