Dwarf Fortress > DF Gameplay Questions

Fullfilling Crafting Needs

(1/3) > >>

UristMcPea:
Almost every dwarf in the fortress having the need of regularly crafting something is a pain in the ass nice and interesting challenge with fortresses beyond 50 cititzens so I was looking for a rather permanent solution - and I think I've found one which I'd like to discuss.

So here's what I do:

First I select my regular crafting dwarves and limit their workshops to them, personally. Next, I build a room conaining five distinct stockpiles (stone, wood, cloth, leather, bone) and make sure they're filled all the time. I don't use bins for cloth and leather as I just need something - not a lot.

For every five dwarves with an unfulfilled crafting need, I build a Craftsdwarf's Workshop restricted to those individuals. Then they each get a different crafting labour assigned and finally every workshop gets a work order "Make 1 <material> crafts" for every material that's repeated seasonally or monthly - I'm not sure which is better.

That way every dwarf gets a single crafting job once a month/season without any adverse effects that I'm aware of. I haven't found a proper solution for military dwarves so their needs are ignored at the moment. It is some effort to set up, but after that it should run without further maintenance.

Any ideas, hints or other suggestions?

mikekchar:
That's pretty much what I do.  Although I tend to run fortresses with low populations anyway.  It occurred to me that having a workshop for every dwarf is not *actually* that onerous (a bit of a pain to set up, though).  Why not have a clothier shop each for socks, shoes, hats, gloves, etc, etc.?  Like you said, one job a month.  Shops are only 3x3 tiles.  I was thinking about the world gen fortresses with their inevitable 15 forges and 15 leather working shops and I thought, why not?  Lately I've been attaching 6x6 workshop rooms (big enough for 2 workshops and some small stockpiles) next to each family dwelling.  It works fine -- again, with the proviso that it takes a really long time to accommodate new immigrants.

Saiko Kila:
I do something similar as OP, except I don't build separate stockpiles. I have a long factory hall with craftsdwarf workshops built in a line, with access from south. Each workshop has four orders (make bone crafts, make wooden crafts, make rock crafts and make scroll), and is restricted to four dwarves, each with a respective job enabled. Each order except scrolls is to make one item (scrolls are made in two, because they are both used up and also use up rollers made elsewhere), repeated monthly. This is for dwarves whose needs to craft is to be fulfilled, but their main job is elsewhere - for example soldiers or farmers.

Additionally I have order to make several silver (I've got lots of silver) rollers in one magma forge, but without restrictions to any dwarves, because there are not too many of metalcrafters.

There are also separate "proper" workshops which have permanent orders, mostly for bone bolts, totems and horn crafts, but only one of them is restricted for quality (skill level), not for particular dwarf. So one of the soldiers or hobbyist crafters sometimes do something there. But only these proper workshops do have stockpiles linked, the factory ones do not. There's no reason to complicate it too much.

After I ran out of easy adamantine (i.e. couple of hundreds of raw stones) I repurposed two workshops previously used by strand extractors, they make bone bolts now. For this reason when another dwarf without crafting skill needs a fulfilment I usually make him a bonecrafter.

anewaname:
I avoid any sort of dwarf-specific assignments, instead the workshops are limited by skill ranks and the shotgun approach of hoping each dwarf gets enough of what they need each year.

Otherwise, the setup is similar. Three or more workshops; monthly job triggers for different crafting jobs to force a change of dwarfs at at the workshop, and the forges queue extra jobs for weaponsmith because I have a greedy tendency to assign weaponsmith to migrants who arrive without a crafting skill (like weapon/crafts/weapon/furniture/weapon/armor).

The military dwarfs manage to get some crafting done during their off-duty four months, but some have been getting skipped some years.

Sarmatian123:
I was thinking about pity wasting leather on crafts, when you need every year 420-660 leathers for civilian cloths.

How about bee wax? Pottery? Glassmaking? Even metal crafting with copper bars? You can set some of the crafts for ornamentation, specially you have already stockpiles linked to do it safely?

13 jobs in total/1 craftdwarf's workshop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version