Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Slight Stockpile Issue  (Read 1130 times)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
Slight Stockpile Issue
« on: January 21, 2019, 04:33:22 am »

So I've been trying to get some stockpiles going for my jeweler for a bit now. But it's not working how it should be from what I could find. So I understand you can setup stockpiles so they decorate a specific item. So long as they also have gems you'll have no issues. So I have 3 stockpiles and my workshop, 1 stockpile has the gems I want to encrust with, one has the item I want to encrust and both are set to "give to workshop" everything is working fine. But the issue lies with my third one...I have it set to "take from workshop" and set to take the same thing being decorated. Issue is they will not put those in there they take random ones of the object instead of the ones in the workshop. I am totally confused and everything I could find said that's how you set it up to have a stockpile for decorated things. But with the take thing on or off it takes randoms including ones from the stockpile set to only give to the workshop. Am I missing a step by chance? Not done linked stockpiles much and this is the only one that wants to be a special snowflake, and by Armok I just want it to take from the workshop not from every random spot!

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Slight Stockpile Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 05:34:41 am »

The result stockpile should be set to accept from links only (a).

The feeder object stockpile cannot be protected from receiving encrusted items so you need a result stockpile.
Quantum stockpiles work nice, except you cannot process the items/gems that needs the minecart dumping first.

Quite a hassle, but mandatory for having your fortress symbol on your armors. Bonus for squad symbols ;-)

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 06:55:54 pm »

I wasn't having issues with the one that was set to give having encrusted ones it was always unencrusted ones. I wasn't sure how the link only worked since I couldn't find how to do that so I wanna hit a and target the workshop then or....? Sorry bit confusing since setting up these for other things like say barrels for booze and then empty ones for later refilling is much easier to do. ^^; If I multi encrust them that's fine since I was gonna do that anyways for the traders unless something looks really nice then it's going in the fort. I was having issues with my results stockpile is the thing. After they get encrusted they jsut sit in the workshop, and the pile set to take from the workshop (my results one) is getting filled with randoms that aren't in the workshop in the first place.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 04:48:56 am »

I *think* (if I remember correctly) it is possible for the workshop to use items already in the workshop.  So if it takes too long to haul it out after it gets finished, it ends up getting encrusted more than once.  I'm pretty sure that's what I observed when I was doing something similar.    To help with this, I use the manager to encrust one item per day.  If you have a good hauling squad, it usually works.  If I set it to 1 per week, it's pretty much guaranteed in my forts.  I usually don't have that much to encrust anyway (I don't mine very much).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 12:39:02 pm »

So a theoretical setup is.

Pile A: rough gems only. Give to Shop 1. 
Shop 1. Jeweler, cut gems only. Take from A.  Profile, cut gems.

Pile B: cut gems only. Take from Shop 1. Give to Shop 2.
Pile C: furnitures only. Give to Shop 2. 

Shop 2: Jeweler, encrust with gems. Take from B. Take from C. Give to D.  Profile, encrust 1x per week. 

Need Furniture Hauler, and Item Hauler enabled with Gem Cutter and Gem Setter.

Alkmayix

• Bay Watcher
  • God Red Mage
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 02:33:09 am »

Shop 2: Jeweler, encrust with gems. Take from B. Take from C. Give to D.  Profile, encrust 1x per week. 

I'm not using 2 shops for this Pile A has statues, Pile B has cut gems, Both Pile A and B are set to give to the workshop. Pile C is set to take from the workshop so in theory it'll take finished works. It's not though which as I understand it should be doing. Which is where the confusion is coming from. Everything I was seeing said it should be working instead it isn't. Instead it's taking from everywhere including at times stuff from Pile A despite being set to take from the workshop itself. Hauling is enabled for those as it should be.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:43:01 am »

I'm not using 2 shops for this Pile A has statues, Pile B has cut gems, Both Pile A and B are set to give to the workshop. Pile C is set to take from the workshop so in theory it'll take finished works. It's not though which as I understand it should be doing. Which is where the confusion is coming from. Everything I was seeing said it should be working instead it isn't. Instead it's taking from everywhere including at times stuff from Pile A despite being set to take from the workshop itself. Hauling is enabled for those as it should be.

Try adding a burrow that only includes Shop 2, Pile B and Pile C. 
In the burrow, there are option to limit task within burrow, which means the dwarf should not look for items listed in Pile C outside the burrow.