Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: No migrants, no merchants, even though civ is not dead.  (Read 1189 times)

BigIndianFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
No migrants, no merchants, even though civ is not dead.
« on: January 26, 2019, 11:59:13 am »

Hey everyone, I started playing dwarf fortress about a month ago and I love it, but after creating a new fortress I encountered a reccurent problem and I don't know what's causing it.

The first migrant wave is nowhere to be seen, even after 3 years, same goes for merchants. I didn't get any message about it ("no outpost liaison, how curious", "no migrants have come this year" etc..) Which is really curious to me. I did check my files and the migrant caps (strict and normal) are set to 200 and 220, I actually didn't change anything before the problem occured, or even after that.
I figured I would create a new fort and make sure to embark near my civilisation, no luck, I then created a new world, made sure my civilisation was alive and well, embarked near them, then far away, then I reinstalled the game, and I'm still not getting any migrants. Only visitors (some of them dwarfs).

I'm sure the problem is something really dumb and I should have figured it out long ago, but I just wasn't able to find someone with the same problem.

Any suggestion would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:09:00 pm by BigIndianFish »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No migrants, no merchants, even though civ is not dead.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 01:16:35 pm »

Did you try running plain vanilla client alone on those embarks?

BigIndianFish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 02:26:48 pm »

Did you try running plain vanilla client alone on those embarks?

I ran both dfhack and vanilla, I downloaded the game again to make sure I had all the default files.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 04:10:08 am »

The only way I know of not to get the first 2 waves of migrants is if you set your population cap to 7 or lower.  However, you usually still get a caravan (I *think* -- I have to admit I don't actually remember).

In either case, I would blow away (or rename, anyway) you DF directory (the one with all the config files and saves) and reinstall.  It *has* to be something in the config.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13:26 am »

Was one of your dwarfs named king?

What method did you use to ensure your civ is alive?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?