Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Waterfall For Every Bedroom  (Read 2618 times)

Torchwood202

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Waterfall For Every Bedroom
« on: January 21, 2019, 09:33:31 pm »

I wish to embark on a megaproject that, for whatever reason, is not listed on the wiki (making me think no one else has thought this up before).

Simply put, I want to channel water in such a way that there's a waterfall in every bedroom, every meeting hall, every corner of the fortress, all of which will generate mist. In theory, the channel lines would have to look intricate and arcane in order to actually reach any conceivable spot in the fort. And to look pretty.

Here is a prototype:

XXXXXXX     X = Wall/Stone        B = Bed
XBFWFBX     F = Fortification      W = Waterfall falling down another z level.
XDXXXDX     D = Door

Just as mist can travel through fortifications, so can water. Testing has shown that, in order for water to not 'spill' into the bedrooms, the power of the water has to be relatively low (2/7 or so). In theory, having multiple branching tunnels will cause water rushing in to spread out, never reaching more than 3/7... at least, until it reaches a hole to fall through.

Dwarfs cannot pass through the fortification, since they are not submerged in 7/7 water. Creatures that somehow infiltrate my plumbing system won't be able to pass through the fortification since, not only are they not 7/7 submerged, but they're falling down z-levels at a rapid pace until they hit the bottom.

If the entry for the water you use is 7/7, using a 3x1 hole instead of a 1x1 hole will never cause spillage but only if the entry for the river is 1x1.

Will work:
RRRRR      R = 7/7 River    X = Wall/Stone
XX  XX       H = Hole, falling down several z-levels
X      X
XHHHX
XXXXX

Will NOT work and will flood your fort:
RRRRR
X      X
X      X
XHHHX
XXXXX

If there's anyone out there that knows a lot more about water mechanics/physics than me, please share your thoughts! I definitely feel like this is feasible but would take a lot of trial-and-error.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Waterfall For Every Bedroom
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 09:52:31 pm »

I think I can explain the lack of others doing this. The FPS drain would probably be enormous for all that water movement.

I don't have anything else constructive to say, and I'm not discouraging you. Just pointing it out for the sake of the thing, in case it's not something you considered.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 03:40:38 am »

I haven't read the post in detail, but depressurizing water by forcing it tho pass through a diagonal is useful to keep water passing through at a low rate. I've use that in my dwarf washer (having water fall down on everyone passing through the fortress entrance) after getting good advice from the forum.

But yes, the FPS hit from such a megaproject would make it painful, so consider building it such that you can turn it off if you want to continue to play your fortress after it's been constructed (and it's good practice to be able to disable fluid flow anyway, as that allows you both to correct errors in the design and to extend the construction).

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2019, 12:46:32 pm »

If you can utilize the 4 pump mist generator moving 7/7 units, it would be an FPS saver and can benefit as much as 16 2x2 bedrooms probably. 
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mist

I am not sure how much FPS can be saved from Fluid Logic Repeater. 
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Repeater#Fluid_logic_repeater

It has an output of 4/7 water that can drop onto a grate and generate mist. 
I would pair this with as much z-level drops with 4 adjacent bedrooms. 
Then use a portable minecart drain. 

But really, the mist giving happy thought can be accomplished by setting it on a spot where all traffic will come by it, e.g. central stairs. 
So, there is no need to have multiple waterfall generating mists, when 1 mist generator can satisfy the give mist/waterfall happy thought.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2019, 09:26:27 pm »

But really, the mist giving happy thought can be accomplished by setting it on a spot where all traffic will come by it, e.g. central stairs. 
So, there is no need to have multiple waterfall generating mists, when 1 mist generator can satisfy the give mist/waterfall happy thought.
That's like saying 'we don't actually need magma cannons when a cage trap works just fine' :P  I'm more curious to find out if mist will interrupt a Dorf's sleeping, and if happy thoughts can be created while sleeping.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:29:51 pm »

That's like saying 'we don't actually need magma cannons when a cage trap works just fine' :P  I'm more curious to find out if mist will interrupt a Dorf's sleeping, and if happy thoughts can be created while sleeping.
I'm pretty sure someone discovered that dwarves can train swimming their sleep without drowning.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 10:32:07 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 10:53:52 am »

The context of the OP is to create FPS hungry water falls to multiple bedrooms. 
My point was if give happy thought from mist/waterfall is the goal, then 1 mist generator can do the job. 

Magma cannons once set are pretty much a fire and forget when the paths are unblocked by a single lever pull. 
Cage traps need dwarf power to maintain.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 04:59:31 pm »

You should be able to use pressure-teleportation to significantly reduce the amount of flowing water and make the behavior consistent across the fortress.

side view:

####wwww#
####wwww##########
#xwwwwwwwwwwwwwwx#
# ############## #
#,,________#________,,#
#,,________#________,,#
# ############## #
# ############## ########
#wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww#,,F
####################www#
########################

Water from the reservoir will pressure-teleport to keep the entire "supply run" full. Diagonal passages ('x') block pressure but allow 3-4 water to flow into open space and start falling. The falling water passes through your fortress levels and lands on a permanently-flooded drain so it pressure-teleports to the map edge and out through a fortification ('F'). The result is only 1-2 flowing tiles per waterfall, which should be more processor-friendly.