Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampire with venomous bite?  (Read 613 times)

TechnoScrabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampire with venomous bite?
« on: January 22, 2019, 08:25:46 am »

I've been trying to muck about with adding different varieties of vampire to my DF world, but I'm struggling a bit. I'm mostly copying and pasting existing bits of code, but it doesn't seem to be working out, so I've come here to ask those better skilled how to do it.

I want to make a vampire syndrome that gives the vampires a venomous bite like that of the Black Mamba. Just copying and pasting the relevant venom data doesn't seem to be working out. That, and I'm not sure I'm adding the new vampire syndromes to the right file. What raw file do I add to to make new vampires, and how do I give them a snake's venom on their bite attacks?

Additionally, for testing this out in adventure or arena mode, is there a way to make an adventure mode action to give myself the curse, or an item that could do it? I've heard of people adding an interaction that lets them spawn necromancy slabs.

draconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire with venomous bite?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:12:34 pm »

ive never done work on vampires so i can not tell you but as for venom; venom should be its own syndrome attack; there might be a conflict if the syndromes are using the same body part since i have not added more than one syndrome attack though it might or may not actually work because vampires are not just a syndrome they are essentially their own creature.

to be honest it might be easier an better for you to create a new race & entity for the different vampire types an have the vanilla vampires being savage/wild vampires an than add the desired syndrome to them. (side note: while adding entities the easiest thing to do is copy an past the dwarf one an than change the creature reference; from there you can add an change things to your hearts content...an also while making a new sapient creature the easiest thing would be to copy an paste one of the sapient already there in the creature standard txt. preferably you should keep the new sapient in its own txt for ease of editing as needed)

TechnoScrabble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vampire with venomous bite?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 10:32:21 pm »

I think I've put together the code I need for the vampire itself, but I need a way to inflict it on myself for debugging and testing purposes.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is the object I'm spawning to try and give myself the 'ophidian vampirism' for testing, but it just gives me a spray of venom. Is there a way to just inflict it on myself via dfhack, or another way I should be doing this?