Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133]

Author Topic: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game  (Read 90726 times)

Radio Controlled

  • Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1980 on: October 15, 2019, 01:17:24 pm »

Quote
If you were to lock it in a sufficiently robust vessel you could convert it. Its not unable to be converted, but it is alive and will resist being destroyed in the same way that if you threw a live chicken in a frying pan it wouldn't just sit there. Fighting with it is a reasonable way to gain mana, sure.  Though to really gain the most it would have to be a real dangerous fight, not a spar.

How much for such a flask?

Move on, to the capital, on foot for now. Just follow the road, keep going until we either reach a town, find something noteworthy or get a random encounter. Be sure to have a watch rotation for the night.

Finally, question: suppose I wanted to use my diamond word to find naturally occurring diamonds, and assuming we're already in more or less the right location for it (volcano near he capitol, as per our earlier discussion), what would be the easier: senses spell to find them (eg. draw their location on a local topographical map) or end roll to make a diamond detector (assume we buy something like a compass and change it, not create one fully de novo)?   


Quote
More the second thing. You could remove them and place them in a container and then have the reaction happen while you are distant to it. You might have to go in and make adjustments every now and again but its not a "hands on" process the whole way.
((Just for the record, this is somewhat different from how you described it in the past, where it was a more involved/hands-on process.))

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Logged


Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Pancaek

  • Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1981 on: October 15, 2019, 04:10:28 pm »

Keep travelling with Darwin, be on the lookout so we don't get ambushed or otherwise surprised. Whistle whatever tune that comes to mind when I think about the fat stacks of diamonds we're gonna be chasing.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
Logged

Ozarck

  • Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1982 on: October 15, 2019, 10:58:20 pm »

Eat one of the magicoals - the one that I used to power the blue glowy thing. See if that doesn't kill me., or over saturate my stomach with mana.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)

syvarris

  • Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1983 on: October 18, 2019, 03:03:51 am »

Hrm.  Okay, robots are bust for now.  Set them aside somewhere they're protected from the elements, probably inside the wreckage.

Look over the clockwork tools that were found in the ship and trivially removable.  First things first, choose one tool that's redundant with another tool, preferably relatively simple, and qualifies for the "piece of clockwork machinery" part of Ekrov's sculpture.  Set it aside somewhere protected, it is now just raw material and otherwise does not matter in any way.

Then, make a list of all tools and weapons that are small enough to be man-portable, and start removing them from the ship.  Things that are loose or can be removed with a screwdriver/crowbar come out first.  For anything that's bolted/welded/built-in, try to have Benedict rip the structure away from it, and then have the guard that was brought along help move the piece out into the open.  I guess a day can be spent on this, prioritizing weapons once the easy stuff is out.

Once Ekrov has a nice collection of weapons and tools, he will start deconstructing them.  Deconstruct at least one copy of each tool and weapon that isn't completely unique and obviously useful, drawing detailed schematics of all the internals.  Cataloging and entirely understanding the designs isn't important right now, I just want to have them available for future experimentation, or possibly to sell.  Up to two full days can be spent on this project, prioritizing weapons, then the tools starting from the heaviest ones.  (Read: You don't need to tell me how many can openers of which varieties I get designs of, I'm happy with "You now have a pile of miscellaneous clockwork schematic sketches", "You fucked things up and destroyed almost all the tools, with only a few schematics to show for it", or even "haha no you'd need months to do that")

Once that is done, or time has run out, pull out a bomb, and... look at it.  Try to figure out what triggers detonation, and whether it can be deconstructed safely.  If the dice Ekrov decides that it can be deconstructed safely... yeah, do that.  I want access to the explosives inside, because explosives are awesome.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)

piecewise

  • Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1984 on: October 18, 2019, 11:59:21 am »

Retcon that to be complete resistance to some specific quickly-deadly toxic gas. Take your favorite or something. If I pick this it's going to end up being something dumb and ineffectual, because I have a -1 to my chemistry skill.

Then, get on with it. Repeat getting on with it as many times as necessary.


Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Alright. I have some ideas. Questions regarding that:
1. Do you want it to be something like a neurotoxin or something more corrosive? Ie do you want to cause tissue damage or just stop them breathing?
2. Do you want it to be flammable? There could be some good synergy there with your explosive powers but also it could be dangerous.

Accelerate I choose you!

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Done.

The two of you wait for evening and then head out. You have plain clothes escorts somewhere near by, following at a distance, crossing and intersecting, walking in parallel until you reach the spot. They've laid out a path for you to follow, one that takes Zavi through much of the area that the others were kidnapped in. And so there is nothing much to do but to walk that path.

The first night nothing happens. Same with the second.  On the fourth someone attempts to mug her but she runs away.  Only on the sixth night, near the point of giving up, does it finally happen. Zavi is alone on a stretch of tight road, almost more of an alley between two tall buildings. There is barely any light in that tight passage; it is tunnel-like in that expanse of darkness, with nothing to do but push forward. When she reaches the halfway point she hears something behind her. A tinkling noise of metal on stone. She stops and turns around, following the noise, squinting against the dark. She kneels and finds several gold coins laying scattered on the cobblestones. She reaches for one and suddenly a hand is clapped over her mouth from behind. Her vision starts to go fuzzy almost immediately. She struggles as best she can -or at least tries to make it look like that- but unconsciousness quickly overtakes her.

She wakes up some time later, though she can't really guess how long. She's in a dark room but finds herself oddly unbound or restrained. There are cracks in the walls, thin lines of twilight light leak through.

*****

Those tracking Zavi follow her signal as she leaves the city entirely and moves out to an area in the middle of nowhere practically, off the main road in the  ash plains that extend from the area around the capital to the artifacters' grave. Recon shows a handful of small shacks out there and some people scavenging the ash for parts. Zavi cannot be directly observed; she must be somewhere inside a building.

Get myself into a resting position by any means necessary, even if that includes climbing into its mouth. Once I'm in a safe resting position, pull up the rope, retrieve the ax and get it stuck inside the Ray's mouth.
Should I fall with no way to catch myself, shrink myself down to a size that would allow me to survive the fall.

Spoiler: Robert Grant (click to show/hide)
[5+1 v 4]
You climb the feeler until you reach its root near the mouth and wrap your legs around it, pressing your back against the ray's flesh to steady yourself. You pull the ax up and then cast it out in an arc, whipping it around so that it flies straight into the ray's mouth. You then pull the rope back until you feel the blade snag somewhere inside the creature. You give it several good tugs and it seems secure.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
head north

You continue north and eventually reach Ens Vereris. The town is on the River Worm, surrounded by tall grasses, an oasis in the wasteland. The town itself is smallish, packed on the north side of the river directly after the large bridge that crosses it. Mostly it seems to be constructed along the road there, with some branching out to dip into the river with short angled docks. Its a trade town in the purest form, here at the cross roads of the river and the the actual road north. All industry and services seem geared towards travelers and merchants.

It looks as though there was a fire or raid somewhat recently, as several buildings in the north of the city are in ruins.


Keep travelling with Darwin, be on the lookout so we don't get ambushed or otherwise surprised. Whistle whatever tune that comes to mind when I think about the fat stacks of diamonds we're gonna be chasing.

Spoiler:  Écalir Speedwagon (click to show/hide)
Quote
If you were to lock it in a sufficiently robust vessel you could convert it. Its not unable to be converted, but it is alive and will resist being destroyed in the same way that if you threw a live chicken in a frying pan it wouldn't just sit there. Fighting with it is a reasonable way to gain mana, sure.  Though to really gain the most it would have to be a real dangerous fight, not a spar.

How much for such a flask?

Move on, to the capital, on foot for now. Just follow the road, keep going until we either reach a town, find something noteworthy or get a random encounter. Be sure to have a watch rotation for the night.

Finally, question: suppose I wanted to use my diamond word to find naturally occurring diamonds, and assuming we're already in more or less the right location for it (volcano near he capitol, as per our earlier discussion), what would be the easier: senses spell to find them (eg. draw their location on a local topographical map) or end roll to make a diamond detector (assume we buy something like a compass and change it, not create one fully de novo)?   


Quote
More the second thing. You could remove them and place them in a container and then have the reaction happen while you are distant to it. You might have to go in and make adjustments every now and again but its not a "hands on" process the whole way.
((Just for the record, this is somewhat different from how you described it in the past, where it was a more involved/hands-on process.))

Spoiler: Darwin Zeppeli (click to show/hide)
Depends on size but I'd say 20 gold for a big sturdy flask would work.

Lemme roll...you actually don't encounter anything on the way. Rare. Consider yourself in the capital.

Hmmm. I think that the sense spell would be able to have a larger range, but would be more difficult to pinpoint the locations exactly. You could get within a range on the map. The end "Detector" route would require wandering around until something came into range BUT would be much more specific and the "Signal" could be followed. Think of it like the difference between a GPS and a Metal detector.  For naturally occurring diamonds, I think the End path would probably be the most functionally useful to you.

((Really, I think I just wanted to make it so people didn't just walk off and leave the thing processing on its own. Ie its not something you need to constantly poke at, but you can't let it run on its own. You have to always be there to monitor it but not always have your hands in it? Maybe.))

Damn.  I hope I'm not going to suffer from two weeks of feeling increasingly awful.  I could die, or end up badly crippled.  I'll take action if this continues through tomorrow.

See if I can find someone to haul my goods up to the capital for sale.  Bring the steel ingots and the black cloth-like metal today.  Sell the steel ingots, and attempt to identify the black cloth stuff.. maybe someone knows what it is.

Also, see if there's an auction house in the capital, and find someone to approach about selling one of the machine guns.


Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Easy enough. -1 gold for workers to haul things. Steel ingots will sell for 170; steel isn't terribly rare but yours is good quality.  The black cloth-metal stuff is recognized as being artifacter in origin though people don't know the exact name. They call it "Adamant Weave" or things similar, though there is apparently a "Technical" term people in Fearce use. Apparently it is commonly found in "Braided cables". They offer 20 gold for it.

There are such institutions though they are often more suited towards luxury goods like art. They're an object of the wealthy. However, there are arms dealers who you could see about the guns.

Eat one of the magicoals - the one that I used to power the blue glowy thing. See if that doesn't kill me., or over saturate my stomach with mana.

Spoiler: Felix Testimony (click to show/hide)
The pieces are about the size of your fist or a bit bigger so you break one of them up before trying to eat it. Once you have a reasonably sized rock you swallow it.
[6v4]
For a few minutes nothing seems to happen, but then you suddenly sieze and collapse, bolts of green-blue electricity crackling across your skin. You lay on the ground, spasming painfully for several minutes, apparently being electrocuted. Eventually the sensation slows to a few jolts a minute and then stops. You lay on the cavern floor, exhausted.

[34 mana gained]
[word "Break" gained]

Hrm.  Okay, robots are bust for now.  Set them aside somewhere they're protected from the elements, probably inside the wreckage.

Look over the clockwork tools that were found in the ship and trivially removable.  First things first, choose one tool that's redundant with another tool, preferably relatively simple, and qualifies for the "piece of clockwork machinery" part of Ekrov's sculpture.  Set it aside somewhere protected, it is now just raw material and otherwise does not matter in any way.

Then, make a list of all tools and weapons that are small enough to be man-portable, and start removing them from the ship.  Things that are loose or can be removed with a screwdriver/crowbar come out first.  For anything that's bolted/welded/built-in, try to have Benedict rip the structure away from it, and then have the guard that was brought along help move the piece out into the open.  I guess a day can be spent on this, prioritizing weapons once the easy stuff is out.

Once Ekrov has a nice collection of weapons and tools, he will start deconstructing them.  Deconstruct at least one copy of each tool and weapon that isn't completely unique and obviously useful, drawing detailed schematics of all the internals.  Cataloging and entirely understanding the designs isn't important right now, I just want to have them available for future experimentation, or possibly to sell.  Up to two full days can be spent on this project, prioritizing weapons, then the tools starting from the heaviest ones.  (Read: You don't need to tell me how many can openers of which varieties I get designs of, I'm happy with "You now have a pile of miscellaneous clockwork schematic sketches", "You fucked things up and destroyed almost all the tools, with only a few schematics to show for it", or even "haha no you'd need months to do that")

Once that is done, or time has run out, pull out a bomb, and... look at it.  Try to figure out what triggers detonation, and whether it can be deconstructed safely.  If the dice Ekrov decides that it can be deconstructed safely... yeah, do that.  I want access to the explosives inside, because explosives are awesome.

Spoiler: O.o (click to show/hide)
You carefully wrap them up and place them in the wreckage.

Okie dokie.

Alright so you got
1. A large number of tools (These are what you could call mundane tools like wrenches, screw drivers, plyers, and the like. There are a lot of them in different sizes and shapes but none are hugely rare or valuable on their own. Though they are admittedly well made.)
2. A pnumatic self heating rivet gun and the air compressor for it
3. Some sort of set of mechanical gauntlets that appear to be designed for use with the robots, to enhance their strength. Seemingly for bending metal.
4. A circular saw style cutter designed for cutting metal. The blade does not seem replacable and isn't sharp to the touch, but a test on metal pieces shows that it can indeed cut easily through metal.
5. A sort of "Jaws of Life" style combination spreader and cutter. Basically a massive pnumatic pair of plyers/snips.
6. 3 more working machine guns, and a half dozen that are broken in some way
7. About 10 or so big boxes of ammo (there are a lot of loose belts around so the amount isn't exact)
8. A welding system
9. Something that you're pretty sure is a weapon. It seems to be a straight bladed sword or something like that, but there's a slot on the handle for something to plug in. That something is missing.

We will assume you get schematics of any of the simple tools that have moving parts and of one of the machineguns. The other tools are effectively unique or at least singular. With Kno (or just enough time) you can disassemble and reassemble them, documenting as you go.

[8] You check the bomb over. You think they're impact based but their triggers are reliant on being "Primed" by a propeller like thing here on the rear. If that propeller is not spun, then impact system isn't activated and the bomb won't blow up.  You use some of the tools you scavanged and Benedict to open the bomb up. The mechanisms are basically what you expected and the majority of the bomb is made up of small metal bomblets around a core of packed shaped explosives. This thing is a clusterbomb of sorts and quite a nasty one at that.
 

Naturegirl1999

  • Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1985 on: October 18, 2019, 12:17:03 pm »

Continue north, try to search for any activity. Is there anyone still alive? As I near the burned buildings look for anyone who could have been the burners

Lenglon

  • Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1986 on: October 18, 2019, 03:35:22 pm »

One of us should go back and bring a proper force to raid this place. We'll need more manpower to make sure we capture everyone and none of the kidnappers escape, and we dont know if the victims could be mind-controlled into fighting us. 3 people is not enough to surround and contain an entire encampment after all. Note that it doesnt need to be magebreakers. City guard can do this just fine.

Spoiler: Nina (click to show/hide)
Logged
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Egan_BW

  • Bay Watcher
  • D'yeh feel that stirrin', longfriends?
    • View Profile
Re: Cabal: Wizard Open World Game
« Reply #1987 on: Today at 06:52:16 am »

Neurotoxin works. Preferably not flammable, unless you're going to tell me permanent immunity to explosions and fire will come cheap.

Use a Knowledge spell to scry for information on whatever chemical just made me unconscious. Probably still enough of it in my system. If I can get its identity, follow up with a spell to see that substance through walls.

Check the walls. Estimate how much force would be needed to demolish them.

Look through the cracks.

Locate the exit.


Spoiler: Zavi (click to show/hide)
Logged
There can be no escape, only victory.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133]