Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 334

Author Topic: MOOK: Such sights to see  (Read 452961 times)

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Occult is banned
« Reply #4335 on: December 01, 2021, 06:45:44 pm »

((Ji would remind Baldwin that the mushroom is not his to sell. It belongs to Ji outright, as was the agreement. He has lended his efforts to acquiring it, and that deserves compensation. But he has no stake in deciding what to do with it.))
Scoop up a tortoise in a containment pod. Name it Herbert.
Edit- Trade an empty containment pod for the mushroom one. Allow Baldwin to take a sample.

Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2021, 08:05:10 pm by The Lupanian »
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4336 on: December 01, 2021, 07:24:14 pm »

Satisfied with with seeing progress on its growth, Baldwin turns towards Ji.

"Since the mission is wrapping up and you've gotten ahold of your own containment pod now, I think now is a good time to give this back you. To be honest, I'm going to miss the fun little guy, but I'm pretty sure you'd kill me if I tried to hold onto this thing. I've already had enough attempted team killings for one mission."

Baldwin laughs when he says this. Perhaps it's his idea of a joke.

"There's just one last thing I want to show you before I let it go. As I mentioned at the airport before, I used to grow mushrooms. And take a look!"

He smiles while presenting the containment pod. You can see that bits of aluminum are now covered in a fuzz.

"That there is the Mycellium and it's finally managed to spread through the substrate. That means that if I take some of it, I can grow another mushroom, and I could grow one for you too if you wanted a second one."

Baldwin then takes out an empty containment pod and opens the plastic door.

"I guess this is my way of asking if I could take some with me? I've got a few exotic potted plants in my room, and I would love to add the mushroom to my collection."

If Ji allows it, Baldwin will take some of the Mycellium covered substrate and place it in the empty containment pod. With time and care, it will eventually grow into a full sized golden mushroom itself. Baldwin will also give the original mushroom back to Ji.

"By the way, do you have any plans for that jar of ghost rats?"

Spoiler: Baldwin Reborn (click to show/hide)
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4337 on: December 01, 2021, 11:08:27 pm »

Ask if they have a second shuttle ready to extract for if, nay, when Wil is done kicking undead ass and needs to get extracted as well.

If yes, let's just go. If not, maybe just fly off a bit to make sure we're out of the dangerous area, but then we can wait for Wil?

((Do note, Wilfred explicitly expected this to be a suicide mission, and made no request for anyone to wait for him.  At best he figured he might get redownloaded into the EdPC after dying.  OOC, I fully expect this fight to get auto-resolved within a few turns, and I don't see it ending well for Wil.  Neither I nor my character will mind in the slightest if you skedaddle early.))

(("Sooo.... you gonna eat that?"))

Chomp and grind up SAM's arm like an extremely hungry attack dog, while the main body of the Deadnaught slides behind SAM and attempts to decapitate it.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Accomplishments (click to show/hide)

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4338 on: December 01, 2021, 11:13:24 pm »

((More literally than you think. I’ll probably do it after I get back to base though. People are a bit paranoid about my occulty shenanigans right now.))
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4339 on: December 02, 2021, 03:14:43 am »

(When did this game turn into pacman?)
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: MOOK: Spooky
« Reply #4340 on: December 02, 2021, 07:32:50 am »

Bob eyes the shady dealings going down in the evac pod. If the slightest hint of occulty or otherwise dangerous behavior happens. Bob chomps hands. Otherwise, Extract get.

Spoiler: The MOOKiest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Mascot (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4341 on: December 03, 2021, 11:42:23 pm »

"I'm happy to be going back to base and finally leaving the horrid shit fest that is Detroit behind."
Play with my ghost fox while we return to base.
Spoiler: Is no longer dead! (click to show/hide)
You case the fox around the EdPC in a playful fashion. It does cheat a bit by phasing through walls but whatever thats fine.

"Yes please, my savior angel with the buttery smooth voice. Unfurl your wings and carry me away from this, frankly, fucked up place."

Extraction get

Spoiler: Edward (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: EdPC (click to show/hide)

The EdPC Reflects on the fact that it somehow lived through this and will now FINALLY have a real body back.

((Ji would remind Baldwin that the mushroom is not his to sell. It belongs to Ji outright, as was the agreement. He has lended his efforts to acquiring it, and that deserves compensation. But he has no stake in deciding what to do with it.))
Scoop up a tortoise in a containment pod. Name it Herbert.
Edit- Trade an empty containment pod for the mushroom one. Allow Baldwin to take a sample.

Spoiler: Ji (click to show/hide)
You acquire a lackadaisical tortoise ghost in a containment pod before trading an empty one to Baldwin. He gives you the mushroom pod after scraping a bit of mushroom goo out.

Satisfied with with seeing progress on its growth, Baldwin turns towards Ji.

"Since the mission is wrapping up and you've gotten ahold of your own containment pod now, I think now is a good time to give this back you. To be honest, I'm going to miss the fun little guy, but I'm pretty sure you'd kill me if I tried to hold onto this thing. I've already had enough attempted team killings for one mission."

Baldwin laughs when he says this. Perhaps it's his idea of a joke.

"There's just one last thing I want to show you before I let it go. As I mentioned at the airport before, I used to grow mushrooms. And take a look!"

He smiles while presenting the containment pod. You can see that bits of aluminum are now covered in a fuzz.

"That there is the Mycellium and it's finally managed to spread through the substrate. That means that if I take some of it, I can grow another mushroom, and I could grow one for you too if you wanted a second one."

Baldwin then takes out an empty containment pod and opens the plastic door.

"I guess this is my way of asking if I could take some with me? I've got a few exotic potted plants in my room, and I would love to add the mushroom to my collection."

If Ji allows it, Baldwin will take some of the Mycellium covered substrate and place it in the empty containment pod. With time and care, it will eventually grow into a full sized golden mushroom itself. Baldwin will also give the original mushroom back to Ji.

You start your very own golden chia pet.

Bob eyes the shady dealings going down in the evac pod. If the slightest hint of occulty or otherwise dangerous behavior happens. Bob chomps hands. Otherwise, Extract get.

Spoiler: The MOOKiest (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Team Mascot (click to show/hide)
Hmmm...that guy put one of these ghost snacks into a container....suspect. But not a threat. Hmm.

Ask if they have a second shuttle ready to extract for if, nay, when Wil is done kicking undead ass and needs to get extracted as well.

If yes, let's just go. If not, maybe just fly off a bit to make sure we're out of the dangerous area, but then we can wait for Wil? 

Spoiler: Yagyu d'Aubigny (click to show/hide)

"Hey can we wait for our teammate over there to get done fighting?"

"Copy. Which one is your teammate?"

"...Technically both are."

It is at about this time that SAM nukes several blocks of Ann Arbor with a beam of concentrated nuclear flame.

"I don't think they'd fit in the ship."

"Well...one of them is only human sized, he's just piloting the giant corpse mecha."

"I see. And he needs our help why now?"

"Thats....honestly kind of a good point. Could you at least point him in the right direction once he's done fighting, if he lives? You know so he can ride a pale horse home or something."

"Roger."

"Alright...uh...well good to go then I suppose."

"Roger that. Evac'ing now."

The evac ship rises soundlessly, though the EdPC vibrates like a bell, and shoots off back towards home. The men inside look back wistfully at their long adventures, smiling as an extended portion of the only shelter in the disaster zone burns with nuclear fire. They pat each other on the shoulders and smile at a job well done. Then they look away before the atomic flash blinds them.

((Do note, Wilfred explicitly expected this to be a suicide mission, and made no request for anyone to wait for him.  At best he figured he might get redownloaded into the EdPC after dying.  OOC, I fully expect this fight to get auto-resolved within a few turns, and I don't see it ending well for Wil.  Neither I nor my character will mind in the slightest if you skedaddle early.))

Chomp and grind up SAM's arm like an extremely hungry attack dog, while the main body of the Deadnaught slides behind SAM and attempts to decapitate it.

The battle ranges on for what seems like hours, Wilfred blasting away flesh that regenerates moments later and SAM exorcising the dead only for them to rise again.  In spite of leveling an area tens of miles wide and rendering huge parts of Ann Arbor dangerously radioactive, neither side can seemingly come out on top. They are simply too evenly matched. As they stand, face to face, across the ruined wasteland they have created an understanding seems to wordlessly cross between them.  They put their all into one final attack.  They charge, necromantic and flesh warping energies crackling across the barren earth as they scream forward.

This is the last thing Wilfred remembers, his cognition copier dumping his mind from the moments just before the final blow. Whether the destroyed each other or the being that was once SAM won out, he isn't sure. All he knows is that he stood toe to toe with a nascent god and held his own.

MISSION OVER!

Please compile your list of war crimes achievements for this mission.

Oh and if you feel like helping me out, please tell me what you thought of this open world meandering. What did you like, what did you dislike, what would you add to future open world meanderings, etc.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4342 on: December 04, 2021, 12:23:25 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I liked ze mission. The EdPC as a centralizing factor helped to keep the meandering down to a minimum.

Also, don’t forget I have some items in the LAF box
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4343 on: December 04, 2021, 05:22:37 am »

I didn't mind the mission. Bit long. The end of mission shenanigans kinda put all the action onto one or two players, which was kinda meh for me, but others seemed to get a real kick out of it, so I don't mind.

Spoiler: Bob (click to show/hide)
Things Bob did this mission
addressed human rights violations by attempting to dispose of substandard foodstock from contaminating the food supply.
flushed the toilet
depressurized butadiene and styrene-butadiene pressurized rotational ground contact devices
acquired sustenance
Established a beachhead in the yelllowzone along with Anya
fixed broken plane computer
Bob
Haiku
Ghost mystery solved, small snacks only
Mounted Upsetting Frog LogoTM to EdPC
Stealthily reconnoitered scientist's office for sna ... secrets. And also snacks.
Drove (well, rode along in) a Chevrolet to a movie theater.
Built Chevrolet Movie Theater
The MOOKiest
No, really. We stuck our dicks in it this time. For Science
Fact (and apple) finding
Survived S.A.M. -9
Blob
Bob
Team Disciplinarian
Spectral Snack Enthusiast
Spoiler: Tara (click to show/hide)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #4344 on: December 04, 2021, 06:01:16 am »

I liked the mission.  I have somewhat of an opposed view from Lupanian--I wish we had more freedom to explore separate from the main group, without feeling like we'd get significantly separated.  Wilfred didn't actually have this problem, what with the hardsuit (and monopolizing the silverfish to a degree), but it was quite clear other players were affected (Heydude).

I also disliked using a real-world map for the city.  It worked, and was a creative way to make a city plan, but it's simply more annoying to read a real map (especially on mobile) than a traditional RPG grid/hex map.

I liked the very open nature of the world, with lots of options for dealing with the Smiles, for instance.  It felt pretty overwhelming for me a lot of the time, especially being preoccupied with real life, but I felt like I had more than enough freedom to come up with creative solutions to problems, or go find something interesting to do.  I didn't use that much, but when I did it was a high point.

Second spoiler is mission accomplishments, as always.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4345 on: December 04, 2021, 06:11:21 am »

Spoiler: Things I did! (click to show/hide)

I liked the open world of the mission, but I was a afraid to leave the group after being killed by a beam I also liked all the warcrimes.

The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4346 on: December 04, 2021, 09:31:53 am »

I think the Silverfish added a lot to making the mission enjoyable. I don't know what the ideal amount of freedom too split off is, but there definitely has to be some it. Maybe there could be two silverfishes next time or something like that? Maybe each of us could have their own motorcycle? I think having a central "mothership" is important though. Large groups need someone they can recognize as a higher authority to keep them coordinated. The person driving the EDPC-equivalent is the person we should all try to get back to at some point.

Besides tethering, what else can I say about the mission? I think individual locations should have multiple things to do in them. The only thing at the prospector's bar for example was the bar. Everything else there was a ruined house. The only thing at the airport was the haunted plane, and a few bits of scattered loot. The only thing at the orange zone clinic was the tree Kaiju fight and a conversation with those hospital guys.

If traversal across the world map should be tethered to a central command vehicle, I think the individual locations we arrive at should encourage splitting the party a lot. The image I have in my mind is a Mario Oddyssey level for some reason. Imagine if we put The Razor and The Bizarre in roughly the same area for example? What if we encountered a ruined city with data disks buried in the somewhere in the rubble and we had to split off because that would be the fastest way to find them? Power disparity among members would make balancing this kind of tricky I suppose, but I have an idea for a possible solution to that.

When Wilfred and Sam split off to raid Smiles base and summon the skele-kaiju and the rest of us explored the factory for a battery, that was great! The hardsuit and the fleshmonster took on an army while us regular folks explored a dungeon where wits were needed rather than brawn. I think stuff like this is why less tethering to the EDPC is better. You'll have to figure out how to incentivize people to split up though (maybe some sort of overall time-limit, and thus a greater need for efficiency?)

Long story short, I think giving people reasons to spilt-up is a good goal to work towards. Just make sure you don't take it too far. I don't know how much can be learned from You are a monster, but that was a great open world game! It might be too individualistic to be of use to you though.

In the end, I would say that I enjoyed myself, but I say this as an occultist who managed to get involved in a lot of shenanigans.

Spoiler: Things Baldwin did (click to show/hide)

Also, I think its time to distribute the rewards from this:

Spoiler: STANpool (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 03:43:41 am by heydude6 »

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4347 on: December 04, 2021, 08:50:55 pm »

I quite liked the mission, playing as the EdPC was a lot of fun. It's nice being almost a literal tank and not having to worry about my fleshy bits.

That said, I'm not sure a completely open world/free reign map is the way to go. I just feel like this game, due to the play by post nature, needs a little bit of directing maybe? Something like the FTL map, where you each time have the choice of going between 2-3 possible routes, but in the end you're always progressing from sector 1-2-3-etc. Completely open ended would work fine if we were playing in real time and could quickly ping-pong questions, but with several days of time between each question/action and answer having a couple of well defined options might help in keeping things going and on track. It would also mean that at each junction we can decide to either pick one as a group, or split up to hit multiple options at once.

That said, this certainly wasn't bad. I had fun, mission was interesting, SAM-9 kinda came a bit out of nowhere for me but the kaiju fighting itself was very neat.

5/7, perfectly cromulent mission, Bob is best mascot.

Spoiler: EdPC achievements (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4348 on: December 07, 2021, 03:34:06 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I liked ze mission. The EdPC as a centralizing factor helped to keep the meandering down to a minimum.

Also, don’t forget I have some items in the LAF box

Message from OMNITECH accounting:
1200 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Moonlighting is not allowed. 

Message from OMNITECH Admin:
You have been given an additional title: Gardener
Start Each mission with a Chainsaw (d10)
Note: Hedging our bets.

Message from OMNITECH legal department:
Employees are technically considered decorative topiaries.

I didn't mind the mission. Bit long. The end of mission shenanigans kinda put all the action onto one or two players, which was kinda meh for me, but others seemed to get a real kick out of it, so I don't mind.

Things Bob did this mission
addressed human rights violations by attempting to dispose of substandard foodstock from contaminating the food supply.
flushed the toilet
depressurized butadiene and styrene-butadiene pressurized rotational ground contact devices
acquired sustenance
Established a beachhead in the yelllowzone along with Anya
fixed broken plane computer
Bob
Haiku
Ghost mystery solved, small snacks only
Mounted Upsetting Frog LogoTM to EdPC
Stealthily reconnoitered scientist's office for sna ... secrets. And also snacks.
Drove (well, rode along in) a Chevrolet to a movie theater.
Built Chevrolet Movie Theater
The MOOKiest
No, really. We stuck our dicks in it this time. For Science
Fact (and apple) finding
Survived S.A.M. -9
Blob
Bob
Team Disciplinarian
Spectral Snack Enthusiast
1550 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Keep up the good work.   

All extradimensional locations entered by OMNITECH employees are considered OMNITECH property .

I liked the mission.  I have somewhat of an opposed view from Lupanian--I wish we had more freedom to explore separate from the main group, without feeling like we'd get significantly separated.  Wilfred didn't actually have this problem, what with the hardsuit (and monopolizing the silverfish to a degree), but it was quite clear other players were affected (Heydude).

I also disliked using a real-world map for the city.  It worked, and was a creative way to make a city plan, but it's simply more annoying to read a real map (especially on mobile) than a traditional RPG grid/hex map.

I liked the very open nature of the world, with lots of options for dealing with the Smiles, for instance.  It felt pretty overwhelming for me a lot of the time, especially being preoccupied with real life, but I felt like I had more than enough freedom to come up with creative solutions to problems, or go find something interesting to do.  I didn't use that much, but when I did it was a high point.

Second spoiler is mission accomplishments, as always.

3000 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Never speak of this again. 

You have officially been classified as a Class 02 weapon of mass destruction.
A free cognition copier is available before each mission to maintain your existence as an OMNI asset.
Note: Your sales price has risen exponentially

Under section 87 of the United States Judicial code, corpses can not be considered murderers.

Spoiler: Things I did! (click to show/hide)

I liked the open world of the mission, but I was a afraid to leave the group after being killed by a beam I also liked all the warcrimes.

1400 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Satisfactory. 

You have been promoted to Advanced Combat Technician
Extra 100 Omni per mission
Note: An army marches on its bloody stumps.

I think the Silverfish added a lot to making the mission enjoyable. I don't know what the ideal amount of freedom too split off is, but there definitely has to be some it. Maybe there could be two silverfishes next time or something like that? Maybe each of us could have their own motorcycle? I think having a central "mothership" is important though. Large groups need someone they can recognize as a higher authority to keep them coordinated. The person driving the EDPC-equivalent is the person we should all try to get back to at some point.

Besides tethering, what else can I say about the mission? I think individual locations should have multiple things to do in them. The only thing at the prospector's bar for example was the bar. Everything else there was a ruined house. The only thing at the airport was the haunted plane, and a few bits of scattered loot. The only thing at the orange zone clinic was the tree Kaiju fight and a conversation with those hospital guys.

If traversal across the world map should be tethered to a central command vehicle, I think the individual locations we arrive at should encourage splitting the party a lot. The image I have in my mind is a Mario Oddyssey level for some reason. Imagine if we put The Razor and The Bizarre in roughly the same area for example? What if we encountered a ruined city with data disks buried in the somewhere in the rubble and we had to split off because that would be the fastest way to find them? Power disparity among members would make balancing this kind of tricky I suppose, but I have an idea for a possible solution to that.

When Wilfred and Sam split off to raid Smiles base and summon the skele-kaiju and the rest of us explored the factory for a battery, that was great! The hardsuit and the fleshmonster took on an army while us regular folks explored a dungeon where wits were needed rather than brawn. I think stuff like this is why less tethering to the EDPC is better. You'll have to figure out how to incentivize people to split up though (maybe some sort of overall time-limit, and thus a greater need for efficiency?)

Long story short, I think giving people reasons to spilt-up is a good goal to work towards. Just make sure you don't take it too far. I don't know how much can be learned from You are a monster, but that was a great open world game! It might be too individualistic to be of use to you though.

In the end, I would say that I enjoyed myself, but I say this as an occultist who managed to get involved in a lot of shenanigans.

Spoiler: Things Baldwin did (click to show/hide)

Also, I think its time to distribute the rewards from this:

Spoiler: STANpool (click to show/hide)

1400 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Careful. 

You have been promoted to : Occultist
----?-----
Note: They are watching

All records erased.

I quite liked the mission, playing as the EdPC was a lot of fun. It's nice being almost a literal tank and not having to worry about my fleshy bits.

That said, I'm not sure a completely open world/free reign map is the way to go. I just feel like this game, due to the play by post nature, needs a little bit of directing maybe? Something like the FTL map, where you each time have the choice of going between 2-3 possible routes, but in the end you're always progressing from sector 1-2-3-etc. Completely open ended would work fine if we were playing in real time and could quickly ping-pong questions, but with several days of time between each question/action and answer having a couple of well defined options might help in keeping things going and on track. It would also mean that at each junction we can decide to either pick one as a group, or split up to hit multiple options at once.

That said, this certainly wasn't bad. I had fun, mission was interesting, SAM-9 kinda came a bit out of nowhere for me but the kaiju fighting itself was very neat.

5/7, perfectly cromulent mission, Bob is best mascot.

Spoiler: EdPC achievements (click to show/hide)

1500 Omni has been added to your account.
Note: Beep Beep

You have been given an additional title: Driver
Roll with advantage to driving attempts.
Note: Questionable advantage.

Class 4 license is required to drive yourself. 

After a long flight the return ship comes to a stop above what appears to be a completely empty patch of desert. As it lowers, the ground beneath the EdPC opens like a camera shutter and reveals a seemingly endless shaft downward. The ship and its payload descend into this darkness as the doors above them seal shut. Another half hour or so of darkness passes until floodlights suddenly flick on. The EdPC is sitting alone in a large hanger, with no sign of the ship and no sign of how it would have gotten in or out of this room. Huh....

"Greetings everyone! Including Wilfred who we'll be dumping into a temporary body in just a minute. If you could all scamper down the hall to conference room 3da88 for debriefing, it would be much appreciated. Except you Ed. You stay where you are; we have a deal to make good on."

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4349 on: December 07, 2021, 05:36:30 pm »

Will to d10. Implants to d10. Allow myself to be directed to the debriefing.

Pages: 1 ... 288 289 [290] 291 292 ... 334