Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do you learn poem forms & how often fortress items refresh?  (Read 1834 times)

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you learn poem forms & how often fortress items refresh?
« on: January 23, 2019, 02:00:52 pm »

How do you learn poem forms?

Besides those forms I can compose, I noticed I started with some poem, music and dance forms, which I can't. Those belong to local civilization. I can not compose any new versions of those to show off my skills. How do I learn to compose those?

How often fortress items refresh? Do all items refresh or only some?

I noticed items in fortress regenerating. I couldn't find additional waterskin and then *bang!* suddenly after 1 month there is one and in leather as well. Workshop+sleeping underground area in fortress is switching from time to time on random. This disappears parts of fortress for a time in a fashion of blink-in, blink-out. Is this somehow linked to fortress refreshes? Do I have to stay away from fortress for few weeks for items to respawn? For now, I returned on 1st of new month to check up on fortress items contents and those seemed exactly same like 1 week earlier. Also one fortress out of 2 got depot bugged out (I used tavern there to sleep and then it happened, but I noticed it only upon return some longer time later), so all items are $$ unmarked and can not be grabbed from ground.

Does anyone have any idea about those hidden DF mechanics?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: How do you learn poem forms & how often fortress items refresh?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2019, 07:09:08 pm »

you learn new poem forms by waiting for someone to each you one via performances.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 03:46:46 am »

you learn new poem forms by waiting for someone to each you one via performances.

Yeah, how this part exactly works?

Do I need to have this poet (I find no dancers and no singers in my world) as joined into my journey as artist and then wait for him to perform? Or do I have to wait for many days (waited some already) in his house to see some form of poetry performed?

Or do I just have to idle in some room with many folks in and then one of them (not poet, not singer & not dancer) will suddenly perform some entertainment form?

Can I bait them to perform by performing too or will it satisfy their performing need and stop them from performing by themselves?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 04:10:05 am »

Yeah, how this part exactly works?

Do I need to have this poet (I find no dancers and no singers in my world) as joined into my journey as artist and then wait for him to perform? Or do I have to wait for many days (waited some already) in his house to see some form of poetry performed?

Or do I just have to idle in some room with many folks in and then one of them (not poet, not singer & not dancer) will suddenly perform some entertainment form?

Can I bait them to perform by performing too or will it satisfy their performing need and stop them from performing by themselves?
you need to wait for a poet to say a poem in a tavern on their own, them being in your company will probably be overwritten by a follow command that keeps refreshing,
so basically you need to wait for others to perform to learn anything new, or you luck out and find a book on a performance in a library?
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:59:16 am »

you need to wait for a poet to say a poem in a tavern on their own, them being in your company will probably be overwritten by a follow command that keeps refreshing,
so basically you need to wait for others to perform to learn anything new, or you luck out and find a book on a performance in a library?

ONLY IN A TAVERN? I've been wasting my time then. Even didn't sleep through one night. So this human poet from this human village needs to be in a tavern and NOT AS MY FOLLOWER? OMG!

So, there is a tavern in one out of two dwarven fortresses, but they have no artists of any kind and no tavern keeper. They have mugs but no cups. Music instruments, which none music form I know uses. Some alcohol magically refilling in barrels from thin air and no tavern keeper of any kind. I rather doubt this human poet will go there on his own.

So basically, I need to make him hearth person and artistic follower. Then drag him to my crazy lagy with animals camp, build tavern, assign him to tavern and release from companion agreement and... he will stay in tavern performing? Or will he leave for his own village. Also, I will need to get him some LARGE armor, because large cloths are rotting completely out of my followers bodies in 20 days... If only trolls were using armor, this could be so... easy, but it just bites. I guess time to haggle some human soldier out of his metal armor. Armories in human main halls do not have enough of either lather or metal type of armors.

Also... I have seen villagers and fortresses refreshing their items in their armories and on their people. However for more then 1 month there is no refresh of any of those. I would like to know, what triggers inventory refreshes in fortresses and on peoples. At first 2-3 few weeks those were happening almost constantly. Now for over last entire month it did not happen even once. Only thing still switching from time to time is layout for sleeping rooms/workshops layer inside 2 dwarven fortresses. Did I break something with mechanics? All I did was to leave here and there some items or chests with items on floor, traded few bone rigs for this and that, or put some useless combat equipment into their armories. Any advice what to do to restart those refreshes again?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 01:44:15 pm »

I think it would be easier to just find a human town (or elven retreat) with a tavern (larger towns may have multiple taverns, sometimes half a dozen) and just wait manually (i.e. by pressing the '.' key) until people start reciting. I can't say for sure, but I somehow doubt making a tavern at your own site will work as well.

And I'm not sure, but I don't think sites/personal inventories are intended to refresh, at any time. If items are being re-created or duplicated it's probably a bug.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)