Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A Practical Guide to Evil  (Read 5387 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Practical Guide to Evil
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 05:24:02 pm »

Cat has a very interesting definition of mercy.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 05:57:59 pm »

PTW

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 10:03:02 pm »

Look, "murder ensued" is great and everything, but "it got worse" is probably the most accurate. Hakram remains my eternal waifu. Akua is a close second, now that she's actually learning how not to be a shitboy old fashioned villian and grew a fuckin sense of humor.

Added a new piece of APGTE fanart to my avi rotation, it's the woe + akua sitting around a campfire. Very cozy :)

also... I never noticed this, but Vivienne would be the only strictly white character in our main group, yeah? Unless you count Catherine, which I don't since it's been mentioned that the "slightly tanned" look of the deoraithe is meant to bring to mind the Huron or Inuit people. 's just an interesting thing I never picked up on, since all the nationalities get a tad confusing at times.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 12:34:01 pm »

I think the tagline should be "Fire. It's all on fire."

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 06:45:19 pm »

Anyone else really excited to see if this is the Prince's Graveyard?
OMG yes!  And let's not forget Cat's promise to Larat and the rest of the Wild Hunt: Seven Crowns and One, for Oaths of service in the spirit they were given.  Also, Archer's latest quip of "Prasei Treachery" is without a doubt my new favorite curse (in that context).

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2019, 04:59:53 pm »

I wonder how clever the Proceran commander thinks he or she is right now...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2019, 06:33:43 pm »

I wonder how clever the Proceran commander thinks he or she is right now...

Not very much, I imagine; I don't think our proceran hero band has the kind of patience to listen to their general staff and find the pivot like Cat/Black do, so I imagine triggering Juniper's trap early was the hero's idea, not the commander. They probably feel real reverent, and they'll keep feeling that way until Cat manages to find the actual pivot and shove it down their throats.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2019, 08:01:10 pm »

Without knowing what kind of Hero shenanigans are involved here, it's too early to tell.  Cat did specifically notice more of her dead than the enemy's.  That said, bluffing 7,000 cavalry with nothing but your reputation as a legendary Villain is pretty amusing.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:57 am »

Holy crap :o Today's chapter legit gave me chills.  To be fair though, we've never never seen Juniper miscalculate so badly, and this is Cat's first time having to deal with a real display of incompetence from her crew.  Still, I think The Woe faces trying times in the near future.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:13 pm »

Juniper's never really been good with stories - or politics - and I imagine her wilingness to learn is going to decide whether she keeps her command. The decision to take the grand majority of the Army of Callow into Procer to gather the legions makes perfect sense from a strategic point of view, considering the sensible choice would have been to keep a close watch on Callow and harry them out of the country. That Hasenbach even thought along the same lines, however, shows about how bad things have gotten in Procer. Hasenbach is holding on by a bare thread, beholden to people who dearly wish to exterminate the Legions and the Army of Callow in one go, and a nation as historically Good as Procer would never let a nominally Evil aligned army free reign to do whatever they wanted. Bringing in the army like Juniper did is a huge oversight, and it's bringing her blind spots into sharp relief.

The Woe are usually there to remind her of this, but in their abscence Juniper should have been able to make decent headway into accomplishing her goals. Instead, a decent quarter of the Army of Callow's high command are dead, and they very nearly failed at their goal of exfiltrating with the Legions in tow. Would have, if Cat didn't step in and do something very very reckless.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2019, 08:50:08 am »

The Drow holy book is going to be such a fun read when it's finished :D  On a serious note, Arcadia as a reflection of Creation just got a lot more interesting.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2019, 07:17:37 pm »

So, who do we want to think this is? The Dead King? Zeze? The Fae? Empress Triumphant returning at last?

Interus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2019, 10:48:18 pm »

My first thought was that it was an unforeseen consequence of the combination of Summer and Winter, causing Arcadia to breakdown, and the approaching figure was the King or Queen. I'm not sure that checks out though, and I have no idea what's going on. We know that the Wild Hunt fae who are with the army weren't able to open gates out, so the hellscape thing has been going on for awhile, but Cat just opened a gate not too far from the army and the part of Arcadia she traveled through at that point looked fine.

There was a fairly convincing argument in the comments that it's Zeze (Hellgates and something in the sky, indicating Flying Fortress-City, and possibly absorbing the power of Witnessing the events at that city), but I've got no idea. There aren't a whole lot of people who are capable of breaking off a splinter of Arcadia, and he's certainly powerful and crazy enough, but why would he be targeting the Army of Callow? I'm sure it's not just the location they happen to be at because they haven't been standing still. Maybe he's mad at Cat, and figured she would show up there eventually.

It doesn't seem to be the Dead King's M.O. but it's not like this isn't something he could do. Sure, he typically only attacks with massive armies of undead, but I remember Cat theorizing that he never actually led his armies in the previous invasions, so he might use all kinds of new tricks. He would probably be interested in a distracting battle that weakens all his enemies.

My theory? Larat or whatever his name is became/was-corrupted-by a demon, and now HellMirror!Arcadia is following him around.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2019, 06:56:08 pm »

I'm thinking zeze now. If you think about it, the kind of large scale effects from what i'm terming zeze's "fuck you everyone" bomb/weapon of mass destruction would affect Cat's forces just as harshly as the Dead King's and the Coalition's. That or Malicia is gonna go out in style.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2019, 07:46:00 am »

I don't think that Hierophant, even in a potentially crazed state, would resort to Hellgates.  He's too smart for that, to say nothing of his loyalty to his friends.  My money is on the Dead King pulling some shenanigans due to Hierophant's 'peeking backwards in time' stunt.
Pages: 1 [2] 3