Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting new Fort and need some advice!!  (Read 976 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting new Fort and need some advice!!
« on: January 25, 2019, 09:39:54 pm »

Okay, been a few years since I played DF, but I come back to these forums often. I'm starting a new world which is a small island so I can read up on everybody and have a good idea of the going-ons and important figures in the world. Theres a dragon in the world who I want to base my fort around. Got some questions for you guys.

1. Should I try to embark right on top of the dragon's lair? (is this possible?) or should I just try to attract it to my fortress through wealth? (whats the best way to do this?)

2. I want to breed something like chickens or something that I can feed to it in its own little habitat. Will it hunt wild food like that?

3. If I keep feeding it creatures to attack and kill can it get stronger like a dwarf does when his skills increase? I know dragons can be kind of squishy, but its still a neat idea.

Any help/suggestions to make this idea work would be super appreciated

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Starting new Fort and need some advice!!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 03:40:48 am »

I never seen animals eat anything. Animals either attack, steal or run away. Sort of animals changes also every season. You could check the name of the terrain the dragon nest is in. To make sure you get dragon spawns in your embark's biome, make sure it is the same terrain.

Maybe you shouldn't embark directly on their nest, ass all-eggs-grabby dwarves could kill entire dragon population off too fast. :D

Still, dragons are not 100% tame-able megabeasts. Even if you get a breeding couple. They are born grown-up. Even half-wild dragons will attack your military on sight. So, there is no good value for them except maybe for cages on display, I think.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:34 am »

So, there is no good value for them except maybe for cages on display, I think.
Flamethrower turrets.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 11:22:46 pm »

Thanks for the help/advice guys!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 08:54:51 pm »

Some facts about dragons:

They won't eat, but they will murderate anything that comes near them.

They are not intelligent, and therefore will not gain skills.

They are extremely difficult to keep and tame, and if you use them in tandem with your dwarves, your dwarves are not immune to it's dragonfire AoE. It's very indiscriminate.

IIRC the main difficulty with capturing and taming dragons is that if they have ever killed a dwarf from your civ they will always be hostile. It's very unlikely that you'll find one that has not. It's therefore a megaproject in and of itself to not only get a breeding pair, but to extract the relatively safe dragonlings from the parents.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0