Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41

Author Topic: The Rise of a Demon (Number of ritual wedding duels: 1)  (Read 50842 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of a Demon(Number of towns mostly burned down: 1)
« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2019, 01:39:32 pm »

I would oppose making some sort of monstrosity right now. I'd much prefer to have a horde. Much more manageable and easier to subsidise when necessary.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 10, 2019, 04:43:41 pm »

Excellent work chubby2man, the only thing that remains is the destruction of the Mayor's house, but they are trapped and we can destroy them at our leisure. That said, we are under severe time constraints and its destruction cannot wait. First, we will reanimate Canord's dead as zombies, skeletons, and wisp wretches. Second, we will find the weakest-willed mortals in the fortified manor, and bring them to our fervent worship through corrupting their dreams. Then, they will sabotage the defenses of the structure, and our much-bolstered undead hordes, toting militia weapons and sufficiently hefty stolen tools will swarm the mayor's home, butchering all in their path. Only those who swore themselves to us, drop their weapons, and beg for mercy will be spared.

Assuming they manage to rebuff the undead, WE, wielding Desecrator, will attack it ourselves! I highly doubt whatever peasants are leftover will be able to put up any sort of meaningful defense, and they should crumble before our unholy onslaught. As for the Commander, we will concede that his efforts have proven his loyalty to us, however, if he wishes to receive another blessing he must train one-hundred Thralls of his choice to Soldier standard within two month's time and gather at least half that number in peasant captives in one more. That should be a simple enough task to accomplish, yet difficult enough to truly test his skills.

+1
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2019, 01:01:02 am »

You call all the undead in the town to you, letting them form ranks just out of bowshot. Then, absorbing the vast amounts of evil that now fill the town, you send out a mental call into the town. The dead rise from where they fell, still clutching the improvised weapons. One by one, they shamble across the town to take their place at the head of the undead horde. You can see the fear in the eyes of the defenders as the army threatening them grows from a couple hundred to nearly six hundred. And worse, many of the dead are easily recognizable. Their defiant cries turn into moans of despair which gradually fade off into a silence, broken only by the occasional cry of twisted ecstasy when someone else in the desecrated temple joins your following.

But the silence is soon broken as you reach into the catacomb. This town does not have a graveyard, but entombed their dead in stone. Now those bones claw their way from their tombs, and another hundred skeletons join your ranks.

As the silent army’s dead gaze bores into the defenders, you allow the revelry to continue. Many of those who do not follow you are sacrificed in your name, and you return a mere fragment of the power you get from these gruesome affairs to your cultists as a reward for their devotion. Even this is too much for several, and nearly two dozen collapse, minds broken and souls burned out by your touch. You pay no attention,instead entering the mind of several of the people in the house.

A few put up a feeble resistance, but most break in seconds. They are not as strong as the priest was, and you have grown much more powerful since those early days. As the sun dips below the horizon, they sneak about, unlocking gates, breaking down barricades, and slitting the throats of guards. They are caught soon enough, but it does not matter.  Several hundred undead roll forth in a tide of death. The wisp wretches march at their head, the wisp wights just behind them, using their souls as shields from the barrage of arrows. They pause at the wall as a swarm of zombies forms a living ramp, clawing and slashing at the wall, and then at the defenders atop it.

The first few are easily dispatched, but then the wisp wretches climb over, and the defenders balk before their horrifying gaze, seeing their own death in the hollow eyes of the ancient warriors. Blades dripping with foul ichor rise and fall, and men die howling in agony.

And elsewhere, at a broken gate, a small horde of skeletons burst through. They are dispatched soon enough, but the threat draws warriors away. And some see an opportunity to run. The rest of the undead have taken the wall, and you expect it to be all over but for the wonderful screaming.

But ten have managed to cut their way out through the mostly destroyed group of skeletons, and are fleeing as fast as possible. No one else is nearby, and they might get away if you don’t do something. Fortunately, you planned for this. Or something like it at least. You knew the undead might fail, so you stayed nearby.

And now, with a single leap, you cross a dozen streets to land in front of them, the stones cracking under your feet. They pull up short, holding up hammers and homemade spears. You lash out with Desecrator, and cut the hafts of their weapons before they can blink. Before they can blink again you cut through nine of them. In truth, you barely scratch them, but greenish-black veins spread from the wound, reaching up to their necks in less than a second. They drop to the ground, writhing in agony. The tenth turns to run. You reach out with one of your other arms and rip out his heart, absentmindedly chewing on it, as the nine you killed with blade get back to their feet, skin covered with sores everywhere the veins meet, weeping some sort of vile fluid. You send them to help the other undead, and give the commander some orders.

He immediately returns to the festivities, picking out those already skilled soldiers and having them each select ten men for training. You take your place at the head of a table covered in human skins, and consider what to do next. You have begun to forge a realm, and you must determine where to go from here.

Will you stay, build it up, and make it into a bastion of evil? Will you take your followers and go on the warpath? Will you abandon them to seek another land to despoil?

And no matter what you decide, how will you go about it?

Full status

Current Status

Name: Klx-Dryklfx

Time: 3 months

Physical Might: 49+5 (+1 slaughter, +9 sacrifice)

Mental Might:
49+5 (+1 slaughter, +9 sacrifice)

Followers

13 Boneys, 273 thralls, 80 soldiers, 8 seducers, 1 commander

Servants

15 wisp wights, 2 brutes, 321 zombies, 56 skeletons, 50  wisp wretches, 9 special undead

Cults

The Broken
  Members: 13 Boneys, 162 poorly armed and trained cultists, 30 armed and trained cultists, 8 seducers
  Resources: 9(+8 looting)
  Power: 15 (10 spent worshipping you)

For your next actions, I would like a general plan for the next couple months and some specific personal actions.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2019, 02:10:35 am »

According to the glossary, we are now slightly above-average! Nice, albeit, not a tenth of the way to our former stature, but all the same, certainly an improvement. I strongly suspect these new undead passively spread some sort of poisonous plague, so I'll call them Weeping Sores by merit of their appearance. I estimate we have 20 years at the most before the rest of the Demons arrive, and I figure we meed to have this world conquered by then. That said, there's no reason we can't consolidate our power while we get the conquest underway, and I suggest we do so. Here is my plan for the next few months:

- The Seducers and the Thralls of their choice are to scatter to the nearest large towns, spreading as much corruption as they can, and notifying us of any potential obstacles to their progress. They should aim to establish subtle cults among the common people, with select members of the aristocracy and soldiery if the opportunity arises.
- The Commander, each of the Soldier-Thralls, and each of his hundred Militia-Thralls are to remain in the ruins of Canord, while we mutate the crops to yield an unholy bounty to sustain them, as we did previously. The cultists of the southern settlement are to be relocated to Canord, as the village is not a worthy site for a capital.
- The undead and cultist fodder are to be put to work fortifying Canord as much as possible, while Kreth Woemaker is tasked with distorting the temple into an unholy shrine for our own majesty, with another profane statue and Aura of Domination.
- Over the course of the next three months, we will corrupt as much of the region's military as possible through their dreams, attempt to foster hate among the peasantry toward the priesthood, and sacrifice at least one village's souls to us, and to a lesser extent, Kreth Woemaker for services well-rendered, per month.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2019, 04:28:47 am »

My me, another demon quest! Don't mind if I watch.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2019, 07:24:30 am »

According to the glossary, we are now slightly above-average! Nice, albeit, not a tenth of the way to our former stature, but all the same, certainly an improvement. I strongly suspect these new undead passively spread some sort of poisonous plague, so I'll call them Weeping Sores by merit of their appearance. I estimate we have 20 years at the most before the rest of the Demons arrive, and I figure we meed to have this world conquered by then. That said, there's no reason we can't consolidate our power while we get the conquest underway, and I suggest we do so. Here is my plan for the next few months:

- The Seducers and the Thralls of their choice are to scatter to the nearest large towns, spreading as much corruption as they can, and notifying us of any potential obstacles to their progress. They should aim to establish subtle cults among the common people, with select members of the aristocracy and soldiery if the opportunity arises.
- The Commander, each of the Soldier-Thralls, and each of his hundred Militia-Thralls are to remain in the ruins of Canord, while we mutate the crops to yield an unholy bounty to sustain them, as we did previously. The cultists of the southern settlement are to be relocated to Canord, as the village is not a worthy site for a capital.
- The undead and cultist fodder are to be put to work fortifying Canord as much as possible, while Kreth Woemaker is tasked with distorting the temple into an unholy shrine for our own majesty, with another profane statue and Aura of Domination.
- Over the course of the next three months, we will corrupt as much of the region's military as possible through their dreams, attempt to foster hate among the peasantry toward the priesthood, and sacrifice at least one village's souls to us, and to a lesser extent, Kreth Woemaker for services well-rendered, per month.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2019, 10:27:25 am »

+1
+1
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2019, 10:55:27 am »

Don't forget to check up on that wonderful castle! I believe he will be proud of what we've done with his surroundings/that accursed sword
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 11, 2019, 02:00:16 pm »

Since you guys are going to get more involved with the empire as a whole, would you like an infodump on it?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 11, 2019, 02:07:41 pm »

Since you guys are going to get more involved with the empire as a whole, would you like an infodump on it?
Of course, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say I've been curious.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 11, 2019, 02:34:36 pm »

The Andorian Empire was formed from the ashes of several dozen earlier nations which had been conquered or destroyed by Caliwick the Vile. Its founder and primary goddess is Andora, who was one of the leaders of the war against Caliwick. The Empire is semi-feudal – the children of nobles go into a pool, and when an appropriate position (Duke, Baron, etc.) opens up, one of the people in the pool is selected by the emperor, empress, or their representative. Noble positions are all located in the rural areas. Cities are run in a wide variety of ways – some are ruled by hereditary families, some are democracies, etc. – but the ruler must always be approved of the emperor, empress, or a representative.

The capital is Andora, located far to the north, built around a mountain from where four rivers flow. Supposedly it has been foretold that the empire will reach the end of each river, and once it goes beyond its doom shall come. The Imperial Palace is built atop the mountain, from where the current ruler oversees their vast empire with the aid of a massive bureaucracy.  This is one center of power in the Empire.

The other major one is built atop another nearby mountain, where the body of Andora is preserved in a mysterious glassy substance. Supposedly she shall awaken and return in the darkest hour of her people. The priesthood of the empire is built around her tomb, and at times they have had more power than the emperor or the nobles or the armies.

Each noble and city has a strictly limited personal force, and there are several Imperial Legions which rotate around the empire, each raised entirely from a single province – a province is defined as an area that can support a single legion. Each legion consists of 10,000 professional infantry, 5,000 professional cavalry, and a varying number of auxiliaries, typically including a particular type of soldier unique to the province. They also have a varying number of mages or priests.
Is there anything specific you want to know?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 11, 2019, 02:51:40 pm »

The Andorian Empire was formed from the ashes of several dozen earlier nations which had been conquered or destroyed by Caliwick the Vile. Its founder and primary goddess is Andora, who was one of the leaders of the war against Caliwick. The Empire is semi-feudal – the children of nobles go into a pool, and when an appropriate position (Duke, Baron, etc.) opens up, one of the people in the pool is selected by the emperor, empress, or their representative. Noble positions are all located in the rural areas. Cities are run in a wide variety of ways – some are ruled by hereditary families, some are democracies, etc. – but the ruler must always be approved of the emperor, empress, or a representative.

The capital is Andora, located far to the north, built around a mountain from where four rivers flow. Supposedly it has been foretold that the empire will reach the end of each river, and once it goes beyond its doom shall come. The Imperial Palace is built atop the mountain, from where the current ruler oversees their vast empire with the aid of a massive bureaucracy.  This is one center of power in the Empire.

The other major one is built atop another nearby mountain, where the body of Andora is preserved in a mysterious glassy substance. Supposedly she shall awaken and return in the darkest hour of her people. The priesthood of the empire is built around her tomb, and at times they have had more power than the emperor or the nobles or the armies.

Each noble and city has a strictly limited personal force, and there are several Imperial Legions which rotate around the empire, each raised entirely from a single province – a province is defined as an area that can support a single legion. Each legion consists of 10,000 professional infantry, 5,000 professional cavalry, and a varying number of auxiliaries, typically including a particular type of soldier unique to the province. They also have a varying number of mages or priests.
Is there anything specific you want to know?
How long ago did Caliwick the Vile scourge the world, how are wizards regarded throughout the empire, and what are the primary tenets of Andora's faith?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 11, 2019, 02:59:55 pm »

The primary tenets of the Andoran faith are loyalty, piety, and service to the empire. Most other cardinal virtues are assigned to other deified emperors or empresses.

Caliwick the Vile fell somewhere between 900 and 1500 years ago - history from these days is extremely fragmented, and apparently, some of his followers claimed to be him reincarnated after the castle fell, further confusing matters.

Most of the time, wizards are expected to register with a local mage's guild and are otherwise left alone. Some of the priesthood oppose the wizards, and there are occasional reports of witch burnings. However, by and large, they are accepted. There are several cities which are outright magocracies, and nearly every noble has a court mage or two.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 11, 2019, 03:02:50 pm »

The primary tenets of the Andoran faith are loyalty, piety, and service to the empire. Most other cardinal virtues are assigned to other deified emperors or empresses.

Caliwick the Vile fell somewhere between 900 and 1500 years ago - history from these days is extremely fragmented, and apparently, some of his followers claimed to be him reincarnated after the castle fell, further confusing matters.

Most of the time, wizards are expected to register with a local mage's guild and are otherwise left alone. Some of the priesthood oppose the wizards, and there are occasional reports of witch burnings. However, by and large, they are accepted. There are several cities which are outright magocracies, and nearly every noble has a court mage or two.
Interesting... I have a niggling suspicion that the presence in the castle is Caliwick himself, in which case I feel we should wait until we're at least 100 physical and mental power before digging further. This question doesn't relate to the Andorian Empire itself, but I feel it's worth asking all the same. How costly is it to mutate ordinary Thralls into Boneys?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 11, 2019, 03:13:18 pm »

Very little. More than it takes to raise a zombie, less than it takes to make a brute. Although it can vary somewhat, depending on scale, environment, and some other factors.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 41