Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41

Author Topic: The Rise of a Demon (Number of ritual wedding duels: 1)  (Read 50908 times)

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of a Demon(Number of random wizards: 1)
« Reply #240 on: February 13, 2019, 12:53:03 am »

Urist Mc Dwarf, I say this without the slightest hesitation or reservation, you are a phenomenally talented writer, and it is a deep pleasure to partake of your work.

Now then, in response to the prompts:

- If mortals choose to Accept their place as our Thralls, it is only fitting we welcome them with open arms.
- The Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers were intended to animate the masses of our slain foes, and it is only fitting that they focus their efforts on the Wisp Wights.
- A trained wizard will be a significant asset to our Cult, and one we should seize immediately. Considering that with the aid of Desecrator we are as mentally mighty as no less than fifty-eight mere men, we should face minimal difficulty in shattering her mental wards and thoroughly corrupting her soul, in person if need be.

Our nefarious schemes are coming along quite nicely, and I see no reason we shouldn't continue as we have.

- Allow Kreth Woemaker to continue razing (and raising) the villages surrounding the ruins of Canord.
- Personally assist the High Seducer in corrupting the souls of those in Avar, focusing on the soldiery and local drunks, as before.
- Command the Thralls and Slaves to continue bolstering Canord's defenses with a focus on deepening the moat, while we pour any otherwise leaked Evil into corrupting the wall of thorns as we did with the crops, ideally with grasping hooks, gnawing maws, and eerily glowing eyes.
- Send two freshly-corrupted Seducers to sow discontent in two more townships, by encouraging rebellious hedonism.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 13, 2019, 02:39:29 am »

I would not have thought that >¡< would be worth a bonus,  but thank you!

I will spend that bonus on any action that involves converting the wizard to our cult. An actually skilled mage like her will be invaluable.

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 13, 2019, 07:14:40 am »

Urist Mc Dwarf, I say this without the slightest hesitation or reservation, you are a phenomenally talented writer, and it is a deep pleasure to partake of your work.

- If mortals choose to Accept their place as our Thralls, it is only fitting we welcome them with open arms.
- The Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers were intended to animate the masses of our slain foes, and it is only fitting that they focus their efforts on the Wisp Wights.
- A trained wizard will be a significant asset to our Cult, and one we should seize immediately. Considering that with the aid of Desecrator we are as mentally mighty as no less than fifty-eight mere men, we should face minimal difficulty in shattering her mental wards and thoroughly corrupting her soul, in person if need be.

Our nefarious schemes are coming along quite nicely, and I see no reason we shouldn't continue as we have.

- Allow Kreth Woemaker to continue razing (and raising) the villages surrounding the ruins of Canord.
- Personally assist the High Seducer in corrupting the souls of those in Avar, focusing on the soldiery and local drunks, as before.
- Command the Thralls and Slaves to continue bolstering Canord's defenses with a focus on deepening the moat, while we pour any otherwise leaked Evil into corrupting the wall of thorns as we did with the crops, ideally with grasping hooks, gnawing maws, and eerily glowing eyes.
- Send two freshly-corrupted Seducers to sow discontent in two more townships, by encouraging rebellious hedonism.

I like these actions, though I do think we should reconsider on sending Kreth on missions that’ll allow him to gather strength to surpass us. If we train him to be a better fighter than us, it will probably be inevitable that he will turn. Demons aren’t known for loyalty.

Urist, can we get a couple locations we could target next (towns, forts, and/or holy places)?
Also, your writing is great, you do a good job of creating atmosphere and communicating details. Keep it up!
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2019, 08:11:42 am »

Allow Kreth Woemaker to continue razing (and raising) the villages surrounding the ruins of Canord.

We should call him back sooner rather than later. Given that he's already managed to  influence our seekers, another form of tutelage would better serve them.  If the mage is corrupted, call the  Doom-Seers back.  Having them learn from a trained professional would provide a more
 mortal-accessible (and controllable) path to necromancy.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2019, 08:46:09 am »

+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2019, 10:03:18 am »

I like these actions, though I do think we should reconsider on sending Kreth on missions that’ll allow him to gather strength to surpass us. If we train him to be a better fighter than us, it will probably be inevitable that he will turn. Demons aren’t known for loyalty.

Make no mistake, I'm as paranoid of betrayal on Kreth Woemaker's part as any one of you, but he's at less than a sixth of our strength and intellect, and I feel he will better serve us with roughly 12/12 stats. Let me clarify, I don't intend to allow him to continue marauding with reckless abandon, only enough to get to a bare minimum of competence as a reward for his recent accomplishments and after this month, I suggest we reassign him to overseeing the Thralls and forging Artifacts as before.

Allow Kreth Woemaker to continue razing (and raising) the villages surrounding the ruins of Canord.

We should call him back sooner rather than later. Given that he's already managed to  influence our seekers, another form of tutelage would better serve them.  If the mage is corrupted, call the  Doom-Seers back.  Having them learn from a trained professional would provide a more
 mortal-accessible (and controllable) path to necromancy.
I agree, with the caveat we move both the Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2019, 10:07:38 am »

Fine by me.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 13, 2019, 10:15:47 am »

Fine by me.
In the future, do you think we should go for a quality or quantity approach in our minions? I'm leaning toward budget bin cult legions led by a handful of blessed(cursed?) warriors reinforced by masses of undead fodder, with the occasional squad of heavy hitting mutants, but that's more for the ease Necromancers can generate zombie/skeleton spam than any preference on my part.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 13, 2019, 10:51:29 am »

n the future, do you think we should go for a quality or quantity approach in our minions? I'm leaning toward budget bin cult legions led by a handful of blessed(cursed?) warriors reinforced by masses of undead fodder, with the occasional squad of heavy hitting mutants, but that's more for the ease Necromancers can generate zombie/skeleton spam than any preference on my part.
To be honest, it would depend on the army. The legion we've got at the moment seems to be working well against  village militias,  but a more organized force might give us some trouble. Plus, due to the prevalence of "Good" churches, its highly likely some of our later foes may have  cleric/paladin analogues, which would wreak havoc on our undead.  We can keep the current set-up at the moment, but here's how I'd like to organize the soldiers over time:
- Squads of 10: 9 regulars, and an Overseer (roughly equivalent to a sergeant), chosen  based on loyalty,  fighting skill, and leadership. Once we get more powerful, distributing minor boons might come into play.  Overseers will report to Thrallherds.
-  At least one  Godslayer unit: Anti-divine shock troops drawn from the most zealous of our cultist base. Should be trained to operate  as a group, the basics of clerical tactics( e.g: What this symbol means, what god it belongs to, what its priests do, and how to kill them.).  Mutants would probably be helpful in this role, plus whatever
Fleshmelders: Due to our experience in mutations,  training a group of mages skilled in this power would benefit us.  Could fill a support/ recruitment base, acting as both medics  and mutators.

As for the seduction cult, we should try to keep things as decentralized as possible.  Unless the tolerance of the country's faith changes, they'll have to be underground. Though  we can roust mobs of influenced people when things need breaking, the mainstay of the seducers should be some of our surgical strikers. Creating some more Bonies might serve them well, or finding a way to modify our Hunters further.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:24 am »

n the future, do you think we should go for a quality or quantity approach in our minions? I'm leaning toward budget bin cult legions led by a handful of blessed(cursed?) warriors reinforced by masses of undead fodder, with the occasional squad of heavy hitting mutants, but that's more for the ease Necromancers can generate zombie/skeleton spam than any preference on my part.
To be honest, it would depend on the army. The legion we've got at the moment seems to be working well against  village militias,  but a more organized force might give us some trouble. Plus, due to the prevalence of "Good" churches, its highly likely some of our later foes may have  cleric/paladin analogues, which would wreak havoc on our undead.  We can keep the current set-up at the moment, but here's how I'd like to organize the soldiers over time:
- Squads of 10: 9 regulars, and an Overseer (roughly equivalent to a sergeant), chosen  based on loyalty,  fighting skill, and leadership. Once we get more powerful, distributing minor boons might come into play.  Overseers will report to Thrallherds.
-  At least one  Godslayer unit: Anti-divine shock troops drawn from the most zealous of our cultist base. Should be trained to operate  as a group, the basics of clerical tactics( e.g: What this symbol means, what god it belongs to, what its priests do, and how to kill them.).  Mutants would probably be helpful in this role, plus whatever
Fleshmelders: Due to our experience in mutations,  training a group of mages skilled in this power would benefit us.  Could fill a support/ recruitment base, acting as both medics  and mutators.

As for the seduction cult, we should try to keep things as decentralized as possible.  Unless the tolerance of the country's faith changes, they'll have to be underground. Though  we can roust mobs of influenced people when things need breaking, the mainstay of the seducers should be some of our surgical strikers. Creating some more Bonies might serve them well, or finding a way to modify our Hunters further.

I agree on each count but I think we should call Overseers High Thralls to keep the Thrall naming scheme going, if nothing else. I think we should into making the Boney's status a transmissible, actively corrupting disease like some sort of less extreme, infectious ghouldom for the returns we'll get on the cost, and the deleterious effect on the enemy's peasantry if an epidemic breaks out. I feel we should try to match the Andorian Empire's human forces as much as possible, then surpass them through corrupting ends instead of destroying the system entirely like previous Demons, if only because cultist fodder don't really care about holy blessings, banishment, or the various smite [INSERT_EVIL] chants.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 13, 2019, 11:37:09 am »

Ideally, we could exploit the faith  the Andorians have within their religion. As we saw from our current conquest, there's an inherent trust in the Church. even if we don't overtake it completely, shattering that trust would further destabilize the region, potentially opening up more avenues of influence.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 13, 2019, 10:34:41 pm »

As you prepare to break the wizard, an idle thought flits through your mind. What are some good targets for your cult? The two closest town to Canord are Avar, where you currently are, and Henord Crossing. There is something of a rivalry in between the two. The villages in between are largely owned by the Lord Southbend, who rules from Castle Southbend, a little further to the north, built where the two rivers almost merge before splitting again. It’s quite a bit larger than Avar or Canord, and is frequently visited by traders.

But enough of such idle thoughts. You have a wizard to convert. As she leaves with the dawn, you follow her, carefully skulking in the shadows and remaining hidden from her eyes and her more…esoteric senses. When she stops to at about midday, that is when you strike. Unfortunately, you missed a ward of some kind she set up, and lightning arcs into your flesh. If you were a mortal, that would have almost certainly killed you. But you are not, and so as she turns and starts to stammer out a spell, eyes wide with horror, you grab her head and force it into you. Whirls of darkness assault her soul, her essence, her thoughts and memories. Claws made of your hatred and lust for power rip at bulwarks of identity, and a long and exhausting struggle ensues. If you were simply trying to break her, this would be simple. But instead it is painful work, and she manages to mount several counterattacks before you gain enough of a foothold to rewrite memories. And then it is a simple task to make her recall being your loyal follower from birth.

You step back, panting with exertion. The wizard rises from the ground, her eyes slightly glazed. Her head lolls to one side. “Master…” she pants. You command her to go south, to teach your followers, and send word that she is coming. Then you begin to stagger back to Avar. Once you reach there, you slip into the attic, and begin to lend your aid to the Seducer. Given your state of exhaustion, you cannot do as much as you would have liked, but your Seducer does well enough anyway. More people start coming to hear her speak, and some begin offering donations to help fund her “church.” More people start coming upstairs and swearing to you as well, including a pair of guards from the wealthier side of town. The Seducer’s Sign begins popping up here and there, carved into the eaves of a roof or scratched onto a cobblestone.

The other Seducers, perhaps spurred on by the success of the High Seducer, work frantically to gain new recruits as well, and several more join, although no one of importance.

Most of your attention is in Avar however. You pick two of her followers who won’t be missed, and turn them into Seducers as well, before giving them instructions to find new territory to begin corrupting.

While this goes on, your Hunters arrive. For now, they begin picking off the occasional merchant, leaving the corpses scattered in grisly displays. The response is swift – nearly 50 guards begin hunting them, with crossbows, axes, and support from two priests. They are competent and efficient, and your Hunters begin to slow their attacks. But they think there is an opportunity to strike inside the town, with so many of its professional guards outside.

As evil energy continues to leak from your form, you direct it towards Canord, hoping to further corrupt the thorns. Desecrator proves an excellent tool for this, and the thorn barricade grow tall and thick enough to rival Canord’s walls, their barbed points dripping with venom. Some of the thorns have grown as well, turning into massive things nearly a foot long.  There is neither crack nor seam in the horrible barrier, but when one who follows you approaches, the thorns pull away, although the long thorns tend to dangle just above their heads.

The Doom-Seers and Seekers continue to experiment with raising wisp wights, and they have some success. They managed to replicate the process, however, doing it deliberately is slow, costs resources, and requires use of both a zombie and a specter. The wizard arrives, and wants to know what she should teach them first. Her mind has mostly recovered, but she knows nothing of how to use Evil in magic.

Meanwhile, Kreth continues his rampages. However, by now he has exhausted every nearby village, and he does not wish to go too far. Only a few random farmers join your undead ranks.
The construction goes well, however, anything further will require experts or doing something new like building additional walls or creating traps. The forging ceases, and your smiths and artisans wonder if you have any projects for them. And in Avar, once more you hear word of an oncoming threat…an order of priest militants called the Spears of Cavana, a god of knighthood has heard word of the “desert raiders” who use terrible monsters in battle, and they have sent some of their knights to investigate. Numbers range from fifty to two thousand – you have heard no reliable reports of anything other than that they are coming.

Full status

Current Status

Name: Klx-Dryklfx

Time: 5.5 months

Physical Might: 60+6 (- 2 injuries, -3 thorns, + 12 worship

Mental Might: ] 52+6 (- 10 grappling with a soul, -2 thorns, + 12 worship)

Followers

13 Boneys, 92 thralls, 280 soldiers, 9 seducers, 65 peasants, 2 guards, 10 Hunters, 1 High Seducer, 14 Doom-Seekers, 2 Doom-Seers, 1 mage

Slaves
95 slaves

Servants

17 wisp wights, 2 brutes, 372 zombies, 79 skeletons, 50 wisp wretches, 9 weeping sores, 18 specters

Cults

The Broken
  Members: 13 Boneys, 68 thralls, 280 soldiers, 14 Doom-Seekers, 2 Doom-Seers, 1 mage
Slaves: 97
  Resources: 37(-30 construction,-15 raising a wisp wight, +5/week demonic crops, +5/week iron mines )
  Power: 22 (5 spent worshipping you, 6 spent on training, 6 spent on construction, 5 spent gathering resources)
Unnamed cult
Members: 9 seducers and 24 thralls, and 36 peasants split among 7 locations, 1 high seducer, 29 peasants, and 2 soldiers
Resources: 0
Power: 10 (3 spent worshipping you, 4 spent recruiting)
Fortresses
Canord
   Strong walls (45), Deep moat (25), Thorn Wall (20) Demonic crops, plentiful mines, Strong aura of domination
Champions
Kreth Woemaker
   Physical might: 14
   Mental might: 14
   Other: Magic Cloak

Duthrax Soul-Render, First of the Thrall-Herds
  Physical might: 5 + 1
  Mental might: 3 + 1
  Other: Duelist, skilled commander, Herald

The symbol competion is till open for you, Kreth Woemaker, and the Boneys.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of a Demon(Number of corrupted random wizards: 1)
« Reply #252 on: February 13, 2019, 10:39:45 pm »

The symbol competion is till open for you, Kreth Woemaker, and the Boneys.
Would my previous submission work for Kreth?  Also, what  magic does the mage know at the moment?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 10:43:45 pm by WyrdByrd »

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 13, 2019, 10:46:11 pm »

Yes. And she knows a fair bit about dreams and wards - those are her specialties. She is also quite skilled at detection related magic - both casting it and countering it. Other than that, she knows a smattering of other spells, like creating lights, summoning fire, and similar things.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 13, 2019, 11:29:13 pm »

Yes. And she knows a fair bit about dreams and wards - those are her specialties. She is also quite skilled at detection related magic - both casting it and countering it. Other than that, she knows a smattering of other spells, like creating lights, summoning fire, and similar things.
Can we get an approximate Physical and Mental score?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 41