Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41

Author Topic: The Rise of a Demon (Number of ritual wedding duels: 1)  (Read 52411 times)

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of a Demon(Number of corrupted random wizards: 1)
« Reply #255 on: February 13, 2019, 11:35:03 pm »

Physical: 0.5

Mental: 4.5 maybe.

She will get a little stronger as damage from you forcibly corrupting her fades.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 14, 2019, 12:36:31 pm »

She will get a little stronger as damage from you forcibly corrupting her fades.
Thank you for clarifying.

I feel that Kreth Woemaker is more than strong enough at this point, and our defenses have reached the point we can safely consolidate our territorial gains. That said, if we want to meet our deadline we'll need to hasten our current rate of expansion. All things considered, here is my plan for the next month:

- Our High Seducer has more than recouped the investment we've spent, and our power is such that we would be foolish not to invest our leakage in more. The Unnamed Cult, which I dub the Ceaseless Consumption will continue recruitment at its current pace. However, we shall send a dream to each of the Seducers scattered throughout the townships, that any who manage to convert no less than twenty men in the span of one month will receive an immediate promotion.
- Next, the Mage we've converted will teach the Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers the ins-and-outs of Warding, while the Doom-Seers teach her the ins-and-outs of Necromancy. Once both sides have learned the basics of each other's disciplines, they will cooperate to reverse-engineer Necromantic Wards. If the Mage manages to teach the Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers within a month's time, she will receive 1 Mental Boon equivalent to a Doom-Seeker's, and become a champion, dubbed Lurrothel, Weaver of Nightmares.
- It is clear to me that our Thralls in the ruins of Canord are of no use as they are, so Duthrax Soul-Render will be tasked with training them into Soldiers, with the understanding that once he manages 1,000 he shall receive an additional boon of Might, further sword corruption, and a gift of demonic armor. I have no doubts this won't go off perfectly, but all the same, make it clear our wrath will be incurred should he fail, and allow him to sleep on that.
- Kreth Woemaker and the Artisans desire a new task, and we shall give it to them. Kreth Woemaker is to teach the Artisans how to apply Evil to their works, and then lead them in the further corruption of the temple in the ruins of Canord. If need be, Kreth Woemaker is to gift those who show no capacity for the manipulation of Evil, the inestimable boon of Necromancy as it applies to artifice.
- The Spears of Cavana are a minor concern, so to delay their approach, we will spread rumors that the Rebellion is openly wielding Necromancy and burning shrines in the name of a fictitious Necromancer named Yol'Thoh the Brazen. If remotely possible, we'll send dreams to the Rebellion, encouraging them to embrace any means of achieving victory, no matter how wisely forbidden, corrupting, or Evil it may be.
- Lastly, if we have any leftover time we will personally spread corruption in villages near Avar and if successful, encourage the Peasants to immigrate to Canord and take on become Thralls. Those who lack magical talent will join the Soldier-Thralls and those who possess it will join the Doom-Seekers until such time as they have earned the right to be called Doom-Seer.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 14, 2019, 01:57:33 pm »

Thank you for clarifying.

I feel that Kreth Woemaker is more than strong enough at this point, and our defenses have reached the point we can safely consolidate our territorial gains. That said, if we want to meet our deadline we'll need to hasten our current rate of expansion. All things considered, here is my plan for the next month:

- Our High Seducer has more than recouped the investment we've spent, and our power is such that we would be foolish not to invest our leakage in more. The Unnamed Cult, which I dub the Ceaseless Consumption will continue recruitment at its current pace. However, we shall send a dream to each of the Seducers scattered throughout the townships, that any who manage to convert no less than twenty men in the span of one month will receive an immediate promotion.
- Next, the Mage we've converted will teach the Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers the ins-and-outs of Warding, while the Doom-Seers teach her the ins-and-outs of Necromancy. Once both sides have learned the basics of each other's disciplines, they will cooperate to reverse-engineer Necromantic Wards. If the Mage manages to teach the Doom-Seers and Doom-Seekers within a month's time, she will receive 1 Mental Boon equivalent to a Doom-Seeker's, and become a champion, dubbed Lurrothel, Weaver of Nightmares.
- It is clear to me that our Thralls in the ruins of Canord are of no use as they are, so Duthrax Soul-Render will be tasked with training them into Soldiers, with the understanding that once he manages 1,000 he shall receive an additional boon of Might, further sword corruption, and a gift of demonic armor. I have no doubts this won't go off perfectly, but all the same, make it clear our wrath will be incurred should he fail, and allow him to sleep on that.
- Kreth Woemaker and the Artisans desire a new task, and we shall give it to them. Kreth Woemaker is to teach the Artisans how to apply Evil to their works, and then lead them in the further corruption of the temple in the ruins of Canord. If need be, Kreth Woemaker is to gift those who show no capacity for the manipulation of Evil, the inestimable boon of Necromancy as it applies to artifice.
- The Spears of Cavana are a minor concern, so to delay their approach, we will spread rumors that the Rebellion is openly wielding Necromancy and burning shrines in the name of a fictitious Necromancer named Yol'Thoh the Brazen. If remotely possible, we'll send dreams to the Rebellion, encouraging them to embrace any means of achieving victory, no matter how wisely forbidden, corrupting, or Evil it may be.
- Lastly, if we have any leftover time we will personally spread corruption in villages near Avar and if successful, encourage the Peasants to immigrate to Canord and take on become Thralls. Those who lack magical talent will join the Soldier-Thralls and those who possess it will join the Doom-Seekers until such time as they have earned the right to be called Doom-Seer.

I agree with points 1-4, but  if we are to engage in deception, we should commit to it wholeheartedly. Have the villages  who join with us burn their settlements  to the ground, and  mark the ruins with "Yol'Thoh's" symbol:
https://imgur.com/5Zaxuxl.  Most of the members of the group are most likely  foreign to the region,  and would hardly know the truth even if we told them. As it is doubtful that  all of the villagers will join, even when coerced, their corpses  will add credence to this theory. 
 If my symbol counts for an extra action, I'd like to spend it on securing our hold in Avar. How would you describe the mindset of the people?

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 14, 2019, 02:59:28 pm »

As a Demon of Evil, we obviously gain power from suffering but I was wondering if we could get more from embodying the Deadly Sins. They do, after all, represent all Evil.

Pride - Our plan to conquer the world's definitely counts, but we haven't been overtly prideful yet I don't think
Greed - I'd say we're pretty solid on this
Gluttony - We're definitely consuming, but I'm not sure if it's to excess or not
Wroth - Everything has gone fairly well so far, so we've not had much opportunity for this
Sloth - We haven't really done this one either
Envy - Again, not had much opportunity for this
Lust - We haven't even thought about this

Whilst I'm not suggesting that we just laze around with a bunch of concubines all day,  but if we can implement and develop plans to fit these I think we'll be well on our way to proper demongood.

Speaking of plans, I approve of Ardent's plan.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 14, 2019, 03:04:33 pm »

The deadly sins are a good guideline for is something evil, but embodying them doesn't necessarily give you more power.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 14, 2019, 03:31:02 pm »

I agree with points 1-4, but  if we are to engage in deception, we should commit to it wholeheartedly. Have the villages  who join with us burn their settlements  to the ground, and  mark the ruins with "Yol'Thoh's" symbol:
https://imgur.com/5Zaxuxl.  Most of the members of the group are most likely  foreign to the region,  and would hardly know the truth even if we told them. As it is doubtful that  all of the villagers will join, even when coerced, their corpses  will add credence to this theory. 
 If my symbol counts for an extra action, I'd like to spend it on securing our hold in Avar. How would you describe the mindset of the people?
I see your point, but we don't want the Spears of Cavana to investigate the region we're in. I'm suggesting that we spread rumors of the Rebellion using Necromancy now, and actually corrupt a handful into using it, if need be with a negligible amount of our Mental power next month. Maybe we'll even have a minor champion named Yol'Thoh, simply to throw them off further.

As a Demon of Evil, we obviously gain power from suffering but I was wondering if we could get more from embodying the Deadly Sins. They do, after all, represent all Evil.

Pride - Our plan to conquer the world's definitely counts, but we haven't been overtly prideful yet I don't think
Greed - I'd say we're pretty solid on this
Gluttony - We're definitely consuming, but I'm not sure if it's to excess or not
Wroth - Everything has gone fairly well so far, so we've not had much opportunity for this
Sloth - We haven't really done this one either
Envy - Again, not had much opportunity for this
Lust - We haven't even thought about this

Whilst I'm not suggesting that we just laze around with a bunch of concubines all day,  but if we can implement and develop plans to fit these I think we'll be well on our way to proper demongood.

Speaking of plans, I approve of Ardent's plan.
I think we should go full tilt into Pride and Greed, as our primary motivation is regaining our previous standing.

The deadly sins are a good guideline for is something evil, but embodying them doesn't necessarily give you more power.
I see, but where would a demon be without needless edginess for the aesthetic value?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 14, 2019, 03:55:35 pm »

True enough. You do definitely get bonuses for sufficiently demonic or awesome actions...Like the Desecrator Ritual or the thing with the priest.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 03:58:55 pm by Urist Mc Dwarf »

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 14, 2019, 04:17:27 pm »

True enough. You do definitely get bonuses for sufficiently demonic or awesome actions...Like the Desecrator Ritual or the thing with the priest.
I was honestly surprised the ritual was enough to corrupt the sword on its own, I was convinced we'd have to repeat the process several times.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 14, 2019, 05:18:39 pm »

With the extra action from the symbol, I propose we leave a gift on our way out.   Using the worms, insects, and other vermin that crawl within the mud,  a new  creature shall haunt the streets of Avar.  Though they are by no means mighty, these Worms of Avarice shall have a gift unlike  our other creations:  serving as both a channel and an amplifier for possessive and envious  thoughts and dreams.  With the current tensions as they are, coupled with the disappearances of the surrounding communities,  conflict between the two sides  is inevitable.  Ideally,  the Worms will make such practitioners  more willing to  serve us, knowingly or otherwise.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 14, 2019, 05:37:05 pm »

With the extra action from the symbol, I propose we leave a gift on our way out.   Using the worms, insects, and other vermin that crawl within the mud,  a new  creature shall haunt the streets of Avar.  Though they are by no means mighty, these Worms of Avarice shall have a gift unlike  our other creations:  serving as both a channel and an amplifier for possessive and envious  thoughts and dreams.  With the current tensions as they are, coupled with the disappearances of the surrounding communities,  conflict between the two sides  is inevitable.  Ideally,  the Worms will make such practitioners  more willing to  serve us, knowingly or otherwise.
Nice.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 14, 2019, 11:53:09 pm »

Recovering from your injuries, you turn your attention to furthering the corruption within Avar. Summoning hordes of creeping vermin to you, you then proceed to mutate them together. Chitin stretches, legs retract, and heads and stomachs merge as the thousands of insects turn into seven worms, each as thick as a rope and as long as a man. They are weak physically, and simply enough to kill – their only defenses are stealth and evasion. But the brains of the insects run up and down their bodies, all not directly concerned with movement dedicated to producing an aura that will generate and amplify envy and malice. You also modify the creatures to feed off those sensations, in much the way you do, although they are less dependent on it. You release them, setting them to circulate throughout town.

The initial flood of recruitment has slowed somewhat in Avar, even with the best efforts of you, the High Seducer, and the Worms of Avarice. The rumors of the Spears of Cavana arriving has prevented most from wishing to show their allegiance to any group which defies the establishment. Many still attend her meetings, but now they propose delay instead of action. However, you can sense the growing tensions in town, and an undercurrent of resentment begins to grow. No one is angry enough to do anything radical…yet. You are certain that if not for those damnable rumors, half the town would be in your cult and the other half would be at war.

So to attempt to prevent the Spears from making trouble for you, you send whispers up and down the river. People discuss the claim that a necromancer has arisen, that the Angelhide Banner has been found, and a thousand other dread rumors, which begin to feed off each other. You are uncertain how effective this will prove however.
Of course, if there is any truth to the rumors, they will be stronger. And so you send distant dreams to the rebels. Snow blankets their land, and thousands freeze or starve, as the defiant warriors are besieged in their strongholds. They whisper of the suffering every delay inflicts, of the coming reinforcements, and of how they are sure there is some way to level the playing field…the dwarves held the empire for centuries, our ancestors for decades…”Surely,” they murmur, “there must be a way.” And some begin seeking this way, opening forbidden tomes and speaking with vile spirits.

Outside Avar, the Ceaseless Consumption continues their labors. But not a single one makes an impression – the fear of the Spears is even stronger further north, closer to their stronghold – and few join them. One Seducer, eager for a boon and apparently spurred on by a rivalry with several others, gets too reckless, and is slaughtered in a lynch mob. Her followers escape however, and flee southwards.

Working to corrupt the peasants outside Avar goes little better. Torn between two sets of terrifying rumors, they are like frightened rabbits, and simply huddle down and hope that no one will notice them. The Hunters try to help them make a decision, but the soldiers march to protect the peasants, and they are forced to withdraw. So they attack the temple instead, slaughtering a dozen priests before withdrawing.

In Canord, things are proceeding much better. Duthrax notes that he cannot train many more without further recruits, but he will do what he can to gain more soldiers for you. He makes several careful raids with picked men, surrounding villages picked at random and fairly distant from Canord, and returns with a few dozen captives each time, who soon succumb to the aura of domination and swear to you, joining in the twisted feasts without a second thought, often eating the butchered flesh of people they grew up with without hesitation.
Meanwhile, Lurrothel the Nightmare Weaver makes steady progress. She picks up the basic principle of necromancy fairly easy, though your Doom-Seers and Seekers have a harder time comprehending wards. They can make basic ones, but nothing particularly impressive. Still, she sets them to establishing wards along the walls of Canord, while she turns her attention to the thorn wall, carefully coaxing it to expand towards Canord and beginning to form a magical maze out of it. She also comes up with a spell based off the basic fireball most mages know, but fueled by evil. This spell, instead of making a brief burst of flame which vanishes in seconds, creates a lingering purple hell-flame. She accepts your boon with shuddering ecstasy, as her spell casting capability grows greater still.
Kreth does not perform as well. Actively infusing Evil into something is difficult work, and he is not a particularly skilled teacher. After he bites the head off of one artisan and smears his blood into a demonic sigil all over the floor of the temple, the others collectively realize the Nightmare Weaver needs supplies for her magic, and find elsewhere to be.
However, the news about the Spears grows worse and worse as you learn more about them. They are a powerful military force: A full four hundred are marching southwards. Two hundred knights, one hundred archers, fifty war priests and fifty regular swordsmen are all heading directly to you, and they will be at Canord in a month. There weapons are blessed, and they chant holy prayers as they march to war. They will be a difficult foe to fight on the field of battle, and if you hunker down in Canord, they will not be able to enter, but you will soon find yourself facing an army. You must prepare…but how?

Full status

Current Status

Name: Klx-Dryklfx

Time: 5.75 months

Physical Might: 66+6 (-4 corruption, -3 dreams, -2 worms, +14 worship, + 1 slaughter)

Mental Might: ] 61+6 (-3 corruption, -3 dreams, -2 worms, +16 worship, + 1 slaughter)

Followers

13 Boneys, 39 thralls, 403 soldiers, 8 seducers, 69 peasants, 2 guards, 10 Hunters, 1 High Seducer, 14 Doom-Seekers, 2 Doom-Seers

Slaves
94 slaves

Servants

17 wisp wights, 2 brutes, 372 zombies, 79 skeletons, 50 wisp wretches, 9 weeping sores, 18 specters, 7 worms of avarice

Cults

The Broken
  Members: 13 Boneys, 15 thralls, 403 soldiers, 14 Doom-Seekers, 2 Doom-Seers
  Slaves: 94
  Resources: 47(-10 helping the mage,- 20 outfitting soldiers +5/week demonic crops, +5/week iron mines )
  Power: 22 (5 spent worshipping you, 6 spent on training, 6 spent on construction, 5 spent gathering resources)

The Ceaseless Consumption
  Members: 8 seducers and 24 thralls, and 37 peasants split among 8 locations, 1 high seducer, 32 peasants, and 2 soldiers
  Resources: 0
  Power: 10 (3 spent worshipping you, 4 spent recruiting)

Fortresses
Canord
   Strong walls (45), Deep moat (25), Thorn Wall (20), Weak wards(10), Demonic crops, plentiful mines, Strong aura of domination

Champions
Kreth Woemaker
   Physical might: 14
   Mental might: 14
   Other: Magic cloak

Duthrax Soul-Render, First of the Thrall-Herds
  Physical might: 5 + 1
  Mental might: 3 + 1
  Other: Duelist, skilled commander, Herald

Lurrothel, Weaver of Nightmares
  Physical might: 1
  Mental might: 6
  Other: Necromancer, skilled at wards and dream magic

Man, the dice did not like you this update.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:57:51 pm by Urist Mc Dwarf »

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 15, 2019, 12:19:11 am »

We might want to start working on that Godslayer unit....

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 15, 2019, 12:55:24 am »

Hmm... Are the Knights mounted?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 15, 2019, 01:09:33 am »

Yes... I feel like that’s implied by the word knight.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 15, 2019, 02:17:12 am »

Yes... I feel like that’s implied by the word knight.
Historically, some poorer Knights fought on foot but I should've assumed.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 41