Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: The Rise of a Demon (Number of ritual wedding duels: 1)  (Read 50870 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise of a Demon
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2019, 04:02:30 pm »

These sorts of creatures likely need a show of force to be properly cowed. We should choose whichever looks like the dominant ant one in the group, devour it, then threaten to eat the others unless they worship us.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2019, 04:07:45 pm »

These sorts of creatures likely need a show of force to be properly cowed. We should choose whichever looks like the dominant ant one in the group, devour it, then threaten to eat the others unless they worship us.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
  • An avatar? What's that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2019, 06:02:54 pm »

+1
+1. Assuming time allows, explore the castle a bit, and absorb some of the evil energies.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2019, 07:05:10 pm »

+1
+1. Assuming time allows, explore the castle a bit, and absorb some of the evil energies.
+1, and I will say, if these were caused by the castle, I think we could grow to like this place! Naturally mutating these "humans" into these twisted forms... Crude, but effective.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2019, 04:07:11 am »

+1
+1, and I will say, if these were caused by the castle, I think we could grow to like this place! Naturally mutating these "humans" into these twisted forms... Crude, but effective.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2019, 10:31:02 am »

You scan through their minds briefly, but you don’t find anything to suggest one leads the others. So you simply grab the largest one, your four arms extending outwards, crossing the distance in the blink of an eye. It attempts to resist, clawing frantically at the ground, but its pathetic efforts prove futile as it is slowly drawn into your waiting maw, which gapes ever wider as you steadily bring it to you. You begin to eat it, almost delicately, starting with the feet and working your way up, tearing into the flesh and crushing bone, projecting the agony into the minds of the others.

When you are finished, you speak. “Serve. Or join him.” You tell them, before spitting out the skull like it’s the pit of a cherry. In mewling, dusty voices they promise to serve you. “Klx-Dryklfx.” You say, the stones cracking at the sound of your accursed name, and they repeat it, chanting your name, hesitantly at first, but soon with greater power and enthusiasm. You receive little in the way of energy from this, but send your meager gains back to them as dark pleasure and promises of further rewards. You have your first cult!

What is their name? What are their practices? And how should they spend their time?
Also, it seems the creatures do not have names of their own. What do you call them?

With your followers organized, you begin to search the rest of the castle. Unfortunately, the wellspring of evil energy isn’t as deep as you first thought, it seems.  If you drain too much, the castle will lose many of its…interesting features. Do you take as much as you can, or only take a little to keep the evil aura intact?

Your search in the castle proves relatively unfruitful. A few pieces of alchemical equipment or torture devices too broken to be of use right now, an altar of some kind with destroyed runes that seem to have once resembled demontongue, and other such things fill the halls. There are lots of things which could be potentially useful…and very little which is right now. One item you find which is of interest is a book called the Path of Corruption.

While like everything else it is heavily damaged, a couple pages remain intact, enough for you to glean that this is a book which is meant to teach mortals how to use evil to fuel magic in the same way you do. Even what little remains in the book could be a great help to any mortal follower you find.

As you are preparing to leave the ruins, you spot a room you are fairly certain was not there before. You enter, and find a tomb. In its center is a large stone sarcophagus, carved with the figure of a knight lying on his back, clasping a sword. But the sword is real, somehow inserted into the stone. You can feel the power emanating from the blade from the entrance. Unfortunately, it is holy power, strong enough to make you sick to your stomach. If you got any closer you would suffer incredible agony. It might even be strong enough to destroy you. The good news is much of its power is linked to the corpse in the sarcophagi. If you could separate the two you would find it a blade with powerful magic which is far easier to handle.

So now do you…
[] Return to the village
[] Try to claim the sword
[] Go elsewhere
[] Do something else

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 11:41:53 pm by Urist Mc Dwarf »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2019, 12:55:13 pm »

Name the creatures Boneys, cos I have no imagination.

Order one of the Boneys into the tomb room. Maybe, as mortals rather than embodiments of Evil they can actually go near the sword without spontaneously combusting.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:59 pm »

Order one of the Boneys into the tomb room. Maybe, as mortals rather than embodiments of Evil they can actually go near the sword without spontaneously combusting.
+1
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2019, 05:07:28 pm »

+1
+1, and I say that we gently feed on this place's evil. It will be more sustaining once we consider what it did to these once-humans, mutating and corrupting them... Delicious.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2019, 05:23:47 pm »

+1
+1, and I say that we gently feed on this place's evil. It will be more sustaining once we consider what it did to these once-humans, mutating and corrupting them... Delicious.
Agreed. +1
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:45:06 pm by Puppyguard »

chubby2man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2019, 10:03:38 pm »

+1
Agreed. +1
+1
Cult founding
Name: The Broken.
Practice: In the glorious light of Klx-Dryklfx, the cult of the Broken seek to perfect themselves through blessings and mutations from their master. Each mutation it’s own agonies and burdens, corrupting them further into the embrace of Klx-Dryklx. As they gather more blessings, each cultist hopes that it’ll be the next mutation that brings relief and perfection. That hope is fruitless, for their only solace can be found in embracing the chaos of their dark master.

Currently the cult spends its time in worship and service of Klx-Dryklfx, and repairing the fortress as much as they can.
Sindari Immortals Play as an immortal being trying to subvert an evil empire of (for now) stronger immortals. On *very* long term hiatus.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2019, 11:45:51 pm »

Unsure of what to name them, you settle for calling them the Boneys for now. You instruct them somewhat in how to worship you, although they are dull enough that most flies over their head. Still, you manage to impart a couple commands to them, and they begin the work you gave them, starting by entering the room with the broken altar and attempting to repair it and dedicate it to you.
You leave them to your efforts for the moment, and begin to wander into the castle, finding the room where the evil is purest, closest to the surface. It takes some time and a fair bit of effort – you are pretty sure the castle is shifting at least slightly – but you eventually find what you are looking for.

Just under the remnants of the great hall, you find a low-ceilinged chamber, its walls marked with long scratches like some great beast clawed its way up from a forgotten cavern. A narrow crack lies in the center of the room, foul-smelling fumes drifting up from it, seemingly reaching towards you. Scattered across the floor are dried strips of flesh, each one marked with words in demontongue, some making offers, others invoking fell magic. The back wall is partially covered by a layer of ash shaped like a man, seemingly burnt into the rock. The figure is horribly distorted, and has a hole in its chest which is a perfect match for the sword you found.

Dismissing the implications, you sit on the floor and inhale, and energy flows into you, strengthening your body and sharpening your mind. Your strength grows as the choking smoke is drawn towards you, forming a vague haze around your face. Reluctantly, you stop drinking it in, and reach out with your mind, confirming your suspicions. If you take any more, you will begin to have a positive effect on the castle, and you have no desire to consume such a useful resource just yet.

You call one of the Boneys down to the tomb, and send them in, telling them to bring out the sword. It seems uncomfortable, but obeys, grabbing the hilt and yanking. However, it is not strong enough, so it grabs a rock and begins bashing around the hilt, accidentally breaking through the lid before it manages to loosen the sword and pull it out. Immediately, you feel the energy in the room changing, turning into three fragments, all disgustingly holy, but no longer overwhelmingly so. The Boney drags the sword out, carving a wavering line through the floor as it goes. Once it reaches you, it kneels before you. “Master pleased?” It whispers, lifting the blade up to you.

It still glows with holy power, and will take a great deal of power to corrupt. There are a variety of ways to accelerate or empower the process, most of which involve bathing it in some source of evil and forcing the blade to consume it, or performing some horrid ritual. You could also leave the blade here and let some of its protections be stripped away. There are also the other sources of power you detected – they could also be of use.

Do you…
[] Do something to corrupt the blade
[] Let it soak in evil on its own
[] Investigate the other fragments of holy power
[] Do something else

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Puppyguard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2019, 12:41:33 am »

Snatch a traveller under cover of night and use them to fuel a ritual to corrupt the blade.
Such a weapon is dangerous to our existence, but it could be used to empower a follower if we turn it first.
While waiting for night, try to locate the other sources of holy power.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2019, 12:49:23 am »

Snatch a traveller under cover of night and use them to fuel a ritual to corrupt the blade.
Such a weapon is dangerous to our existence, but it could be used to empower a follower if we turn it first.
+1

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2019, 04:17:22 am »

+1
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41