Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41

Author Topic: The Rise of a Demon (Number of ritual wedding duels: 1)  (Read 50899 times)

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

I also recall the previous Demon game involved having "relations" with a mortal, that resulted in a half-dozen child. Would any of you be interested in cultivating our own semi-reliable lieutenants in that way? Is Is Urist okay with facilitating that?
The only problem I see with that is our position within this new society.  How "connected" with  the mortal realm  do we want to appear?  If we're that keen to "normalize"  the demonic for the populace, I'm all for it. We can decide what positions to place them within if we get them.
If we want to go for some fantastic racism (an assuredly Evil concept), we could declare that half-demon's are a higher-form of life, second only to us, whilst mere mortals are the bottom rung. This could allow an effective cast system, although with the potential for an exponential set of layers as we start getting semi-demi-hemi-demons running around. Assuming we keep going for that long, anyway.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I could see that working. Bear in mind, though, we don't even have a castle yet.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We have two towns, and we're about to acquire a castle, so we're well on our way. Although we seem to be going more for a roving horde than a kingdom currently. Perhaps that'll change.

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

We can form a balance of sorts once we take Southbend. Using the Broken as our standing army and  Ceaseless Consumption  as our  infiltration team,  delegating the Avar Society to civic management would make a lot of sense.  I've already started drafting some "bread and circuses" type events once our hold becomes more developed.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will need something more specific if you want to make half-demons. Like with who, and how many.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Heh, I pounded out a story, and a backstory in one day, on a calculator.
Long story.
In any case, I think it takes the prompt in an... Interesting... Direction, that may-or-may-not bite us in the rear.

Because, y'know, when you're that old and corpsey, you tend to forget the specifics of your hidden goodies. You know where they are, just not what's in them.

And some things are better left in their cage. Even a genius makes mistakes sometimes...

Enough teaser, I just need to find time to transcribe!
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
A language of another land

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, finished up my first monster. Might post another idea later.

In many ways, Gresh’Nak can be considered an archetypical specimen of Amalgamate.  Known to the scholars of the bizarre as  the “Dwarf Chimera”, this member of the Manticore family is amongst the most common seen in the wild, in no small part due to their unique reproductive abilities. Though not possessing  the magical talents  of their  Greater counterparts, nor the tactical acumen present within other Manticore lines, this being  is capable of  begetting its brood through parasitic infestation.
In its “purest” state, an Amalgamate takes the shape of a large, horse-sized insect, similar  in appearance to a wasp or locust.  Should the population be isolated, this form may persist for several generations, and, barring the introduction of  a new species, would continue indefinitely . However, when provided with a living victim, the Amalgamate will proceed to inject it with a stinger  laden with eggs and soporific, dooming the hapless subject to live out their mercifully shortened life as a  host to the brood inside. Within a matter of days, the larva within will hatch, bearing a mixture of their “parent’s” traits, rapidly maturing thereafter. This absorption has been recorded in reptilian, avian, and mammalian hosts,  with the presence of  an insectoid host resetting the Amalgamate brood to its “pure” characteristics. Should a suitable host not be found,  the Amalgamate will instead self-fertilize the eggs, practicing nesting habits much like any other member of the Manticore  family. However, each successive generation  produced in this manner will begin to emphasize the traits gathered from its host, until it becomes the defining identifier of  those Amalgamate families.

As for Gresh’Nak, her host was a prized  panther owned by Sundamar of Redleaf, an  elf mercenary hired to oppose  Caliwick during the early days of his conquest. Having been bequeathed a clutch of Amalgamate eggs by his demonic progenitor, he had made the would-be heroes’ forces into their first host, sparing only their leader from this horror (who was later twisted into the centerpiece of a war machine known to history as “Dark Reckoning”).  The most cunning of the resultant spawn, Gresh’Nak became infamous amongst the legions of the Angelslayer for wreaking havoc behind enemy lines and sabotaging their food supplies, often rendering the only trace of habitation in the area her numerous spawn.  After singlehandedly  destroying the McCrae Estate, leaving their crops fouled and their livestock infested, she had become known to most as the Dame of Famine. Having been far afield when Caliwick’s first defeat had occurred,  Gresh’Nak was able to  escape the worst of the fallout and take refuge in a crypt on the Avar periphery, infecting any local wildlife that wandered too close and the occasional foolish tomb robber. With Caliwick’s return, the Dame and her brood stand ready to serve Evil once more.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Very nice! I especially like the little bits of history, and the Angelslayer title.

You, WyrdByrd, get a point. And Kit, I eagerly await to see what you have written.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm happy to wait until we have an appropriate subject before making a half demon. Our first time is supposed to be special after all. Maybe with a princess? That seems appropriately thematic.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First, the story of opening up the place where the monster rests...

He had cleared out most of his hidden reserves, and had almost forgotten about this one. Caliwick could feel the Evil pulsing from within this tomb - this was a rare time where time had been kind, it seems. Something else was in the air as well - Hatred? Wrath? Whatever that dark emotion was, it had POWER. The necromancer smiled. A fine creation lies within this stone.
   As he opened the stone wall that sealed the Evil creation within, Caliwick felt something push back against his breaking of the seal. This... Concerned him. His other caches had protections, but they hadn't fought HIM. Perhaps this tomb had consumed much of the ambient Evil his demonic master was giving off, and his wards had turned against their creator? Yes, that was it he decided, and continued to open the solid tomb.
   An unnatural darkness greeted Caliwick, and though he had put it there himself, something was... wrong. Two blood red orbs lit up in the black, and Caliwick knew then that HE had made those wards so aggressive.
   The beast that was coiled within was one of his earliest and greatest experiments... And also his most volatile. The Oroboros - Half snake, half human, with honeyed, forked tongue, and toxic fangs and claws. Most dangerously, though, a hunger for flesh that could leave a nation empty. It needed no food to sustain itself, as it was mostly undead, undying. But its mind was sharper and crueler than in life, and it used its undead physiology to slither in pursuit of its prey, breathless, tireless, silent as death.
   It was Caliwick's proudest moment and greatest regret. And as the beautiful monster slid up to him and flicked its tongue across his cheek, he remembered with a flash of fear that he never could quite control this one.
   "Hm... One of usss now?" it hissed. "And I sssmell my new massster on you. Ssshame. I had hoped to rip you to ssshreds with my enhanced form..."
   Caliwick realized the two arms wrapped around his left side, stroking his spine with those needle-like claws.
   "Oh? Sssuprised by how I've changed?" The Oroboros says, a smirk on its thin lips. It slides back and opens its four arms, basking in its own glory.
   Indeed, the beast had taken to Klx's form somehow, with another set of arms connected in an impossible way, and its full form covered in scales, save for it face. It had retained its grace, even improved upon it, somehow having removed the scars of the magical and surgical fusion of flesh.
   It was a glorious nightmare given physical form.
   It turnsss out that Evil isss a MUCH finer delicacy than the living." the Oroboros said, tasting the air. "Now I'm off to find the sssource of this deliciousss darknesss..."
   Caliwick blinked as the snake-thing slithered into the distance. He knew what that beast was capable of. And he knew he couldn't stop it. And he feared that if his demonic master let his guard down for even a moment, the Oroboros would swallow him whole. He stood, frozen, for what had to be an hour, before he dared to breathe again. Perhaps he had uncovered enough graves for today.

...And FIN!
I also have a more describy description complete with an explanation of the creation ritual and notes from Caliwick's notebook... Just gotta find the time for that too.
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm happy to wait until we have an appropriate subject before making a half demon. Our first time is supposed to be special after all. Maybe with a princess? That seems appropriately thematic.
If we're going full evil, why not Lady Southbend? Also, I'll probably post my second monster tonight.

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

First, the story of opening up the place where the monster rests...

He had cleared out most of his hidden reserves, and had almost forgotten about this one. Caliwick could feel the Evil pulsing from within this tomb - this was a rare time where time had been kind, it seems. Something else was in the air as well - Hatred? Wrath? Whatever that dark emotion was, it had POWER. The necromancer smiled. A fine creation lies within this stone.
   As he opened the stone wall that sealed the Evil creation within, Caliwick felt something push back against his breaking of the seal. This... Concerned him. His other caches had protections, but they hadn't fought HIM. Perhaps this tomb had consumed much of the ambient Evil his demonic master was giving off, and his wards had turned against their creator? Yes, that was it he decided, and continued to open the solid tomb.
   An unnatural darkness greeted Caliwick, and though he had put it there himself, something was... wrong. Two blood red orbs lit up in the black, and Caliwick knew then that HE had made those wards so aggressive.
   The beast that was coiled within was one of his earliest and greatest experiments... And also his most volatile. The Oroboros - Half snake, half human, with honeyed, forked tongue, and toxic fangs and claws. Most dangerously, though, a hunger for flesh that could leave a nation empty. It needed no food to sustain itself, as it was mostly undead, undying. But its mind was sharper and crueler than in life, and it used its undead physiology to slither in pursuit of its prey, breathless, tireless, silent as death.
   It was Caliwick's proudest moment and greatest regret. And as the beautiful monster slid up to him and flicked its tongue across his cheek, he remembered with a flash of fear that he never could quite control this one.
   "Hm... One of usss now?" it hissed. "And I sssmell my new massster on you. Ssshame. I had hoped to rip you to ssshreds with my enhanced form..."
   Caliwick realized the two arms wrapped around his left side, stroking his spine with those needle-like claws.
   "Oh? Sssuprised by how I've changed?" The Oroboros says, a smirk on its thin lips. It slides back and opens its four arms, basking in its own glory.
   Indeed, the beast had taken to Klx's form somehow, with another set of arms connected in an impossible way, and its full form covered in scales, save for it face. It had retained its grace, even improved upon it, somehow having removed the scars of the magical and surgical fusion of flesh.
   It was a glorious nightmare given physical form.
   It turnsss out that Evil isss a MUCH finer delicacy than the living." the Oroboros said, tasting the air. "Now I'm off to find the sssource of this deliciousss darknesss..."
   Caliwick blinked as the snake-thing slithered into the distance. He knew what that beast was capable of. And he knew he couldn't stop it. And he feared that if his demonic master let his guard down for even a moment, the Oroboros would swallow him whole. He stood, frozen, for what had to be an hour, before he dared to breathe again. Perhaps he had uncovered enough graves for today.

...And FIN!
I also have a more describy description complete with an explanation of the creation ritual and notes from Caliwick's notebook... Just gotta find the time for that too.

I was going to wait for you to post the rest before making my judgement, but you get a point for this.

Also, if no one suggests someone to impregnate, I will write the update and end it with you considering the possibilities of reproduction.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would say Lurrothel, but she's kinda... Stuck in a fire. Also, what's the point mean?
*is proud of acquiring a point, but at what cost?*
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Points can be spent to give a bonus to an action.

KitRougard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hm, I was almost hoping you would throw the Oroboros at us. If I save up enough points could it happen?
Scream all you want
They don't understand
Your Comic Sans font
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 41