Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Retired Fortess Problem  (Read 891 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Retired Fortess Problem
« on: January 28, 2019, 06:41:06 pm »

So I retired one of my fortresses when it was reduced down to a few children and three werelizards, which had killed the rest of my fortress. I had goofed up on this one and built it across an ocean from it's home civilization, so no migrants or caravans ever came. The next fortress was going well, and I checked out the civilization screen about a year after I retired it and saw that the retired fortress now had 200 dwarves! I don't get how this could of happened. I got no migrants at all and as far as I can tell, it was still a part of the original government. So unless the Stoked Ropes (The civilization this fortress was part of) invented boats as soon as I left or this is a error in the code. There might be a completely reasonable explanation for this, so I didn't put this in the bug sub-forum.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retired Fortess Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 10:07:47 pm »

Well, think about it. You managed to get to the site somehow, so it's not so strange that others also managed to.

But retired fortresses are kind of screwy, so it could be a bug. Or a mix of buggy mechanics producing unforseen results. Other sites have non-historical, abstract populations. Having returned to worldgen rules, perhaps it gained some of them.

Legends will tell you who moved in, probably.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Retired Fortess Problem
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2019, 03:46:43 am »

All merchants probably  ;D  Actually, when you retire a fortress, for some reason it attracts a lot of visitors.  I've never really understood why.  And for some reason, sometimes those visitors join the fortress.  When you unretire the fortress they will be citizens.  I've often got the aforementioned merchants (often 10s of them), some goblins, etc, etc.  200 seems a lot, though.  On the plus side, I suspect the werelizards will be gone -- they tend to vacate to a lair somewhere.