Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Small accounting practice owner asking advice on where to find talent  (Read 4271 times)

Brenticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey guys,

I own a small accounting firm in Canada and need to recruit top level talent.  Currently thinking of talking to a recruiter but ideally I would like to find the type of person who would frequent these forums.  I need someone intelligent and able to manage a decent number of accountants who share a lot in common with Urist....

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

I'll give you my two cents.

I work in the software side of the heavy truck industry. We deal with "bookwatchers", bookkeepers and to a lesser extent, accountants as they try to understand their daily transactions, what accounts to hit with what transactions, and generally investigating accounting discrepancies.

So basically every level of engagement with accounting, from the non-professional up to the professional level.

What I've noticed is that veteran bookkeepers have their way of doing things and they're very set in them. These methods do not always track with General Accepted Accounting Practice.

Our guy here, who has a business background and some experience in accounting, is constantly in conflict with business bookkeepers who don't adhere to GAAP, either because they don't understand it, they don't actually care, or they're doing something which GAAP would reveal as....problematic.

So perhaps my best advice would be....find someone not too long out of school, with top marks and perhaps a good reference in their first one or two jobs. Someone who is in synch with GAAP and who hasn't yet gotten bitter and jaded by working in an industry so they've figured out strategies so they can do their work at the end of the day.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I need someone intelligent and able to manage a decent number of accountants who share a lot in common with Urist....

Maybe don't express contempt for your existing employees while you look for more of them?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

Thought: if there's a supervisor below you, ask them what their needs are. If not, do an "abilities survey" to see where they feel they lack skill or experience. You can do this under the guise of training if you want, but I personally, as an employee, recommend honesty.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

I need someone intelligent and able to manage a decent number of accountants who share a lot in common with Urist....

Maybe don't express contempt for your existing employees while you look for more of them?
No! Bread and shit for the workers!  If they complain, take away the bread!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

PineMarten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarven Endeavours

You give them bread one day, the next they'll be plotting a communist revolution!

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

No, then they'll storm the Bastille. Honestly... kids these days.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

As an aside, while I can't provide help specifically since I'm in kangaroo land, I also handle recruiting professional employees as part of my role.

I've consistently found better success taking graduates and training them over two or three years compared to hiring somebody with the skills to hit the ground running. Previous experience often leads to baggage from their previous jobs, issues with their desire to do it the way they're used to doing things, and generally being out of sync with the rest of the workforce. Graduates, on the other hand, are highly motivated to succeed at their first role, still flexible in shaping their real world habits, and not blinded by their preconceptions.

The downsides of course are obvious, from investment of time and resources into creating the right employee, the requirement for acting as a mentor to their role, and the usual silliness that fresh-faced young folk end up inevitably getting involved in during their off-duty hours. Still, if I'm sizing up an employee for a permanent role that can't be filled by promoting someone else, I'll usually take the long term view and make the employee I want instead of rolling the dice and hoping I get what I need.

Of course, if it's only a temporary role, I'd definitely go with someone experienced. If you only need them for a few months, either invest in advertising online or use a professional networking site to discover local talent. Perhaps even head-hunt your competitors if it won't create too much friction.

Brenticus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thank you - these are all great suggestions.  I didn't realize it was coming off as contempt :(  We did lose a few staff recently and I guess it is time to make sure the ones we have know we appreciate them.  To be honest we got lucky here as we kept all of the good staff...

I was hoping to avoid younger people due to the benefits of getting staff with real life experience but maybe the strategy will be  to hire someone who has gone to school later or gone back to school and is looking for their first or second position.  That will be very easy to find in the current market and if we are going with the intention of training we will be able to afford a couple.