Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the dwarves of Firemountain dig into the caverns?

Yes
No
No, you would be obliterated by forgotten beasts
No,you would be obliterated by regular beasts

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"  (Read 10825 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2019, 08:31:31 pm »

The caverns have immediately been sealed, since the first cavern layer appears to not have water. They dug around around the cavern and continued to dig down. They hit the second layer, but still no water. The third has yet to be found. But It doesn't matter too much, because, FINALLY, the water has thawed and it is being drained down the well. It's still stagnant, But it's better than dying of thirst! Anyway, A mandate was failed and know the captain of the guard is being arrested. Interesting. As well as that, some monster hunters have arrived. I guess they'll stay though the caverns are closed.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 07:56:17 pm »

Can I get a break?

So another brawl broke out. But this time it involved armed, skilled dwarves. Our mayor has been killed, along with 919 other dwarves so far. Blood stains the halls, pretty much the only ones not involved is the miners, who are still looking for the caverns. The squads have been ordered out and the doors had been locked. Let's hope that helps. One thing's for certain: happiness is going to go down the drain. And the ENTIRE MILITARY is dead. Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2019, 07:35:29 pm »

Welcome back to the hellhole that is Zirilonol! Cleanup has commenced and coffins are being built. And, right when we need it most, a strange mood hits! Let's see; blocks, rough gems, wood, and... leather. That may be a problem. A buffalo is set to be slaughtered.  Wait, a human caravan is here. Let's just get it from there. Lucky buffalo. Anyway, this is what the kid made:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Makes me want to build a tavern.

The third cavern layer still hasn't been found.

Plans are being made to abandon this fortess for a less cursed one; perhaps around a ring fortress around the volcano?

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2019, 08:10:22 pm »

Plans are being drawn up for the new fortress. Meanwhile, cleanup is still underway; It is taking ages for anyone to do anything because everyone is hauling rags. Quite a few more monster hunters have arrived and... Look at that! Just what we needed at a time like this!
Everyone is called inside. The militia (Aka a single hammerdwarf and two marksdwarves) were station behind the door. It kills an unlucky gem setter... and thank The mint fog of groves, it got into the animals. It slaughters them one by one and eats it, taking ages. And yet again, only one person dies. Man, talk about deja vu.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 11:20:36 am by DwarvenLord »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2019, 10:58:45 am »

I might have to grab some cows or something in my current fort, just for this purpose.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2019, 03:50:32 pm »

Before I  continue, I must give credit to three things in this fortress, that have persisted so long through all of the disaster that is Zirilonol.

The first one is Onul Treatytongs, Cook.
This dwarf has endured through all of the werebeast attacks, both brawls, and possibly the lava panic...? THis is to be sure: he has been the cook for a long time and is a High Master cook. He also never once been witnessed having an emotional breakdown. What's more, he loved Nil Stukonid. The whiny woodworker.

This next one is a silver warhammer. The ORIGINAL SILVER WARHAMMER. Some may say this has been cursed by Ducim Hammerpraises, that first hammerdwarf, since all who have wielded it have died, except for Kel Atticstraps, the current wielder and the only one to have any kills with that hammer.

And last is a horse. This is the most impressive of all. Why? Because this is one of the two horses that pulled the wagon when it first arrived. It's counterpart died to some forgotten tragedy. It also survived through all the werebeast attacks, INCLUDING the most recent one which killed a good amount of other animals.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 08:26:14 pm »

Lots of stuff today.
First of all there was a new artifact. It was a boring mechanism.
Plans were being drawn up for a semi-wild boar to be sent in a capsule down the volcano, to see what was down there. But during construction some new immigrant causes a cave-in which swept him into the volcano. Strangely, it continued to go down and still let us see where the magma sea was... as well as the location of a candy vein. Unfortunately, it is smack dab in the middle of the sea. We'll dig to it later. (There was also a magma pool right next to the volcano.) There was a dwarven caravan; last year we had requested as much flux as possible. They brought seven chunks. That's it. We also got some instruments, a LOT of booze, and a few books. Two people tantrumed; I put them in the doomed raiders and sent them to steal some stuff from some humans WAYYYYYY down south. We got a couple of worthless skull totems, a large hood, and a ring. We are now at war with them. Whoops. I think we need more engravers to smooth all those new rooms around the volcano...

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 10:10:35 pm »

Had less time then normal today, so the only thing that happened was a start of an artifact, to be created by a surgeon, and requiring wood, gems, cloth, and hematite. PLEASE don't be a toy boat...

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »

Alright then, we are incoming for our 8th Artifact!
AGAIN?
This is SO weird!
A wereelephant attacked. and you know what I noticed?
It's the same wereelephant as the last one! AND it's the same one that killed Nil, the whiny woodworker! This is the THIRD TIME THIS SINGLE WEREELEPHANT HAS ATTACKED!
It has taken friends, family, pets, SOOOOO many pets! It must be stopped. But we cannot risk engaging it. It is too fast and too string, and even if it is killed it is likely it shall infect one of our own. And it just steps over our cage and weapon traps like they are nothing.
So we trap it, not with cages, but with the earth itself.
A long winding tunnel is to be dug, connecting the inside to the outside. It shall have bridges on either end, waiting to be closed. All entrances will be closed, so it must go into that tunnel to get inside.
When it enters, a lever shall be pulled, and the vile monster shall be trapped forever, with nothing but worms and it's thoughts to keep it company.
Also, some puppies have been born! :)
And here is our artifact, It's actually pretty cool:

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:29 pm »

Wait wait wait. Were-elephant? This must be weaponized!

Trap the were-elephant.
Get the were-elephant to infect citizens.
Create an elite fighting force of were-elephant dwarves to sic upon your enemies on the full moon.

Nothing could possibly go wrong with this plan.

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2019, 03:07:22 pm »

With my luck with this fortress and my previous problems with werebeasts (cough http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173130.msg7921944#msg7921944 cough) it would probably end the fortress and cause the entire immediate area to become ground zero for a Wereelephantsplosion.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 03:09:41 pm by DwarvenLord »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 01:38:59 pm »

Everything is going great! Children have grown up right when we need them, I figured out that beds block movement, and the We're elephant trap is almost complete! Everything is going grea-
CRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAPCRAP
 Those oathbreaking, dirt licking goblins! They've come to seige the fortess! (For your guys information, this is my second ever seige. The first killed my first fortress after half of it dehydrated to death.) It's even worse  now because the fortress is wide open from the Wereelephant trap! Everyone got inside quickly, luckily. the goblins came... And ignored the fortress. You know where they went? The animals. Surprise surprise. The military was dispactch and most was untouched. Other then the BEST DANG MILITIAWOMAN, THE ACCOMPLISHED HAMMERDWARF AND ALSO REALLY GOOD IN A LOT OF DEFENSIVE SKILLS! I COULDNT EVEN FIND THE HIT THAT CAUSED HER TO SUFFOCATE! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
*DwarvenLord is throwing a tantrum*
They are going to pay for this.
A slew of raids are sent out to steal from the green skins, taking beak dogs and weapons. The doomed raiders are not very doomed. Soon they will be going after the tower itself.

(I really need a bigger military, but I only have 68 dwarves including the military. I just don't have the dwarfpower to have a large military. We're going to have to rely on traps.)

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2019, 01:42:59 pm »

Defensive skills mean nothing if a dwarf becomes exhausted. She probably collapsed of over-exertion.

Those animals are proving useful! The dwarven meatshield intrigues me more and more... hm.

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:24 pm »

She was also carrying her baby and was cave adapted, So that helped the goblins. Do you know a way to train military dwarves very quickly?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:11 pm »

Ahh, cave adaptation. That'd do it.

Best way to train up a militia I know of is to just let 'em spar. Put your militia-dwarves in two/three dwarf squads, stick their barrack aboveground to prevent the cave adaptation, and let it be. They usually hit Legendary in a couple years or so.

klonk
Sigtext
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5