Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the dwarves of Firemountain dig into the caverns?

Yes
No
No, you would be obliterated by forgotten beasts
No,you would be obliterated by regular beasts

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"  (Read 1375 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »

Exactly what I was doing, minus the outside part.  I'll move the barracks then.
In any case, if I can produce mechanisms and cages quickly enough, we'll just capture the entire siege.
Honestly, what I'm worried about the most is that our civ is going to be crushed between the humans of the southeast and the goblins of the northwest. Probably not in this forts lifetime, but for later forts.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:41 pm »

Barracks has been moved outside. A good size migrant wave came, mostly useless, but they were all drafted into the militia or drafted into the Engraver's Corp. I let the new militia men choose their own weapons from the pile of goblinite. I saw someone with a mace, another with a whip, and one with a flail. How good are flails? Then a woodcutter, Libash, gets all secretive, grabs some opossum bone,  and gets to work. Steel is FINALLY being smelted. There is a large batch of beak dogs approaching, cause nearly the moment they were assigned  to the bird pen, they claimed a nest box. They'll make good guard animals. Anyway everything is going well. Wait, nevermind.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It died without a single dwarven casualty. It was the untrained Lasher that killed it. Wow. That was easy.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 06:03:13 pm »

I edited beak dogs to be war/hunting trainable. Should be interesting.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »

And the new artifact is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's actually useful. I could give it to the moody axedwarf, and it might cheer him up! (And he won't have an iron one when he goes insane). Problem is, I can't seem to give it to him... Also, I can't train the beak dogs for war, even though I changed their raws. Do I have to wait for new ones for it to kick in? Also, Onul is FINALLY LEGENDARY! 🎉 Last cavern layer has FINALLY been found. It's up to the brim in water. Also, merchants have arrived.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:32:34 pm by DwarvenLord »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 06:42:23 pm »

You should be able to assign it with "specific weapon"? That axe is pretty useless, though-- artifact or no, its attack properties remain that of bone-- which is to say, mediocre. Of course, maybe that's the point...

Also:
...when he goes insane
This, I think, says a lot about the state of your fortress right now.  :D
Sigtext

Your house is overrun with all sorts of puppies, all of which die from squishing.

tormenting the player is important

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:31 pm »

Eh, that's a little dramatic. No one's gone insane in a while. In any case, he hasn't tantrumed once so if he does go insane, he'll just go melancholy or catatonic. Also, when I check the specific weapon it simply doesn't show up.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sanity impaired"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:39 am »

Eh, that's a little dramatic. No one's gone insane in a while. In any case, he hasn't tantrumed once so if he does go insane, he'll just go melancholy or catatonic. Also, when I check the specific weapon it simply doesn't show up.
Ah, alright then. I suppose what with version 44.12, somebody was bound to go nuts eventually.

As for the axe... maybe the weird material messes up the assignments? I dunno.
Sigtext

Your house is overrun with all sorts of puppies, all of which die from squishing.

tormenting the player is important

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 02:40:46 pm »

Did I mention there is candy sticking into the caverns? We dug to it. I'm afraid to dig any deeper then one tile, for obvious reasons.  I've made a new squad of lashers, using whips bought from the humans and some from the goblins. Use their own weapons against them! Still getting the new fortress smoothed. The engraver's corp is getting rather big.

(Just to note, this and My Attempts will be paused when my Cheesesplatter turn arrives.)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? WHY?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:23 pm »

We dug out the rest of the candy and are extracting it. We should be able to get some epic armor, especially with the Talented armorsmith that arrived in the most recent migrant wave. We are now up to a miserable hearty 96 dwarves! I notice a scholar trying to steal a book from the library. I sent the militia after him. He dropped the book almost immediately so I called them off, but he still got a good beating. He then got thrown in the well. For no apparent reason. He crawled out and is on his way. Then the person that beat him got killed by a monster slayer. I am so confused right now. Moral: don't steal books from dwarves. Nothing good ever happens. For the dwarves or the thief.
Pages: 1 2 [3]