Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the dwarves of Firemountain dig into the caverns?

Yes
No
No, you would be obliterated by forgotten beasts
No,you would be obliterated by regular beasts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"  (Read 10833 times)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for being here, my time machine broke.
    • View Profile
Re: The Tale of Zirilonol, "Firemountain"
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2019, 05:31:20 pm »

Exactly what I was doing, minus the outside part.  I'll move the barracks then.
In any case, if I can produce mechanisms and cages quickly enough, we'll just capture the entire siege.
Honestly, what I'm worried about the most is that our civ is going to be crushed between the humans of the southeast and the goblins of the northwest. Probably not in this forts lifetime, but for later forts.
And thus was the dwarven meatshield invented.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:41 pm »

Barracks has been moved outside. A good size migrant wave came, mostly useless, but they were all drafted into the militia or drafted into the Engraver's Corp. I let the new militia men choose their own weapons from the pile of goblinite. I saw someone with a mace, another with a whip, and one with a flail. How good are flails? Then a woodcutter, Libash, gets all secretive, grabs some opossum bone,  and gets to work. Steel is FINALLY being smelted. There is a large batch of beak dogs approaching, cause nearly the moment they were assigned  to the bird pen, they claimed a nest box. They'll make good guard animals. Anyway everything is going well. Wait, nevermind.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It died without a single dwarven casualty. It was the untrained Lasher that killed it. Wow. That was easy.
the child should serve well in the infantry (that is a horrible pun, and I already regret saying it).

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2019, 06:03:13 pm »

I edited beak dogs to be war/hunting trainable. Should be interesting.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2019, 05:58:05 pm »

And the new artifact is...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It's actually useful. I could give it to the moody axedwarf, and it might cheer him up! (And he won't have an iron one when he goes insane). Problem is, I can't seem to give it to him... Also, I can't train the beak dogs for war, even though I changed their raws. Do I have to wait for new ones for it to kick in? Also, Onul is FINALLY LEGENDARY! 🎉 Last cavern layer has FINALLY been found. It's up to the brim in water. Also, merchants have arrived.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:32:34 pm by DwarvenLord »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2019, 06:42:23 pm »

You should be able to assign it with "specific weapon"? That axe is pretty useless, though-- artifact or no, its attack properties remain that of bone-- which is to say, mediocre. Of course, maybe that's the point...

Also:
...when he goes insane
This, I think, says a lot about the state of your fortress right now.  :D
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2019, 11:24:31 pm »

Eh, that's a little dramatic. No one's gone insane in a while. In any case, he hasn't tantrumed once so if he does go insane, he'll just go melancholy or catatonic. Also, when I check the specific weapon it simply doesn't show up.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2019, 09:13:39 am »

Eh, that's a little dramatic. No one's gone insane in a while. In any case, he hasn't tantrumed once so if he does go insane, he'll just go melancholy or catatonic. Also, when I check the specific weapon it simply doesn't show up.
Ah, alright then. I suppose what with version 44.12, somebody was bound to go nuts eventually.

As for the axe... maybe the weird material messes up the assignments? I dunno.

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2019, 02:40:46 pm »

Did I mention there is candy sticking into the caverns? We dug to it. I'm afraid to dig any deeper then one tile, for obvious reasons.  I've made a new squad of lashers, using whips bought from the humans and some from the goblins. Use their own weapons against them! Still getting the new fortress smoothed. The engraver's corp is getting rather big.

(Just to note, this and My Attempts will be paused when my Cheesesplatter turn arrives.)

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2019, 08:18:23 pm »

We dug out the rest of the candy and are extracting it. We should be able to get some epic armor, especially with the Talented armorsmith that arrived in the most recent migrant wave. We are now up to a miserable hearty 96 dwarves! I notice a scholar trying to steal a book from the library. I sent the militia after him. He dropped the book almost immediately so I called them off, but he still got a good beating. He then got thrown in the well. For no apparent reason. He crawled out and is on his way. Then the person that beat him got killed by a monster slayer. I am so confused right now. Moral: don't steal books from dwarves. Nothing good ever happens. For the dwarves or the thief.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2019, 07:43:03 pm »

The first layer of the new fortress, which includes the library, (now closed to visitors) the tavern(also closed to visitors) and some soon to be temples. The dining hall includes solid aluminum tables and chairs,  the ettin's skeleton on a pedastal, some gem windows,  and a goblin head on a pedastal. Now the third floor is being smoothed, where the workshops and stock piles shall be. A dwarven caravan arrived. We bought some booze, as always, and some books for the library. A migrant wave came soon afterwards.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 06, 2019, 03:25:33 pm »

(Cheesesplatter has enlightened me on how to make a good fortress story!)
(Also, I've been wanting to do this for a while but dorfings are available.

Records of Inod 'Lordy' Walledgranite, mayor

12th on sandstone, 118
I've decided to start records to record the history and progress of this little fort. I think someone  was doing this, but whoever it was didn't put dates and it was sloppy.

Anyway, right now we have a small problem. Beds. We have a dorm full of them but we don't have enough for everyone. I'll ahve to make it a dorm. It'll make a happiness drop but at least they'll sleep on a bed.
(I'll be leaving my bed though.)
Downstairs, doors are being put in place, but we also need more doors. And mugs.

21st of sandstone, 118
A bonecarver has withdrawn from society. We already have a legendary bone carver. We don't need another.
He needs rough gems, leather, and bone.
We have the gems, so I guess he wants something different? How about zircons? Wait... he likes star sapphires. Let's hope that's not what he wants.

1st of timber, 118
He has bones and a gem. I think he needs more leather, though.

5th of timber. 118
He got another piece of leather then went and got more gems. Why didn't he just get those in the first place? Well, now he's fine.
Crisis averted.

7th of Timber, 118
Engraving the first floor is going splendidly. The hallway leading to it is already complete.

10th of timber
Here is the artifact in all it's useless glory:
aRT" border="0
Art2" border="0

14th of timber, 118
I think I'm going to put all the artifacts on pedestals in the new dining room.

22nd of timber, 118
Is it just me or are the magma crabs multiplying?
Crabby" border="0

25th of timber, 118
I;m going to send the savage magma to raze Scalydoomed, a small, nearby goblin pit.

28th of Timber, 118
Of course, they failed and Edem (The depressed militia commander) was captured.

1st of moonstone, 118
Whaaaaaaaaaaat?
Umm... Apparently... this happened.
what" border="0
A few days ago, he was a prisoner there. Now he's the LORD???
He's either a traitor or a double agent.
In other news, the goblins are marching on multiple hillocks, the portal of climaxes conquered a large human site and are marching on another.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 03:47:46 pm by DwarvenLord »

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2019, 06:39:36 pm »

18th of moonstone, 188
The dining room is completely finished, with gem windows to rock, great engravings, an ettin skeleton, a goblin head, pure aluminum chairs and tables, and legendary food made by our very own cook. It's a short ways away to the ever-so-popular library!

21st of moonstone, 118
Holy Midor!
Our drink stocks have increased!
Too 1,000 units!
How can this be?

22nd of moonstone
I put some puppies up for adoption. All of them have been claimed by Nil, a ranger. He says he likes dogs for their loyalty. No kidding.

7th of Opal, 118
Secret Project 3 has been planned.

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »

27th of opal, 118
A ranger has given birth to a boy.
I'm having a lever being constructed so we can actually open and close the floodgate that leads to the soon-to-be lava room.

3rd of Obsidian, 118
In theme of the month, it seems that we've ran out of non-obsidian rock.
Better start a quarry.
This basalt layer will do.

13th of obsidian, 118
The lever is finally complete and linked. It is pulled, freeing those trapped inside.
Wait.
I did mention there were two dwarves stuck inside the lava tunnel, right?

16th of Obsidian, 118
An old friend is haunting the fortress.
Ghost" border="0
Took him a while, didn't it?

20th of obsidian, 118
I would be REALLY NICE IF THOSE MONSTER HUNTERS WOULD APPLY FOR FULL CITIZEN SHIP, RIGHT?

1st of Granite, 119
Happy new year!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 06:48:28 pm by DwarvenLord »

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2019, 07:10:56 pm »

I, uh, don't think monster hunters ever do petition for citizenship.

Might as well have fun with the situation. Let 'em into the caverns, see what happens! Blood will abound!

klonk
Sigtext

DwarvenLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2019, 02:02:24 pm »

(To quote the wiki: "Long-term residents can apply for citizenship after living in the fort for about two years. Accepting it will allow labors and occupations assigned to them.")

2nd of granite, 119
Oh dear...
A two year old have became secretive.
And he needs a lot. I'm most worried about the glass, because we don't have glass. We need sand to make glass, but we don't have sand. To get sand we need bags. We don't have (empty) bags. So we need to make bags. But then our leatherworker needs to drink, eat, and sleep. COME ON MAN, A TWO-YEAR OLD'S LIFE IS ON THE LINE!

9th of granite, 119
Oops.
We had raw green glass in the trade depot the whole time.
This is a hastily drawn image of the dwarf Inod 'Lordy' Adillolok. He is facepalming.

11th of granite, 119
I've given the order to dig out the last block to the lava chamber.
Let's hope whoever is going to do it doesn't do a Tholtig.

13th of granite, 119
He's fine, thankfully.
The whole thing went off without a hitch.

19th of granite, 119
Little guy is still going.
Good.

20th of Granite, 119
Is it just me or has our pantheon grown?
Pantheon" border="0
Most of the new ones only have one worshipper.
I'll just assign a general temple for all of them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5