Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PLease, iluminate me  (Read 1695 times)

Caponimoq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PLease, iluminate me
« on: January 31, 2019, 11:21:42 pm »

I havent played since 43.5, whats new, can someone hook me up?
Urist McDM:"Roll a dwarven stupidity check"
*Urist McPlayer rolls 1
*Urist Mcplayer gets stucked in a hole
Urist McPlayer has been found death

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PLease, iluminate me
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 11:31:22 pm »

I havent played since 43.5, whats new, can someone hook me up?
Raiding of other sites, artifacts outside of player fortresses. Spies and monster hunters (they were meant to be around in 43.05 but didn't work). Proper Kobold sites for Adventurer with poison traps and giant spider pets. Off-site holdings (either established by parent civ or taken over by your raiders).

Spies should attract thieves and armies to take your artifacts (kind of buggy). Raiding other civs might cause them to go to war with you and ignore any siege triggers/distance restrictions (which is nice). You can also send dorfs out on quests to retrieve artifacts (they'll mostly take a tour of all the taverns in the known world and come back a year or two later empty handed. Or never). You can be a spy in Adventurer too, by taking on a false identity (I'm a goblin, really!).

Stress was also repaired and a traumatic memory system added. Unfortunately it's working a little too well now (and made worse with dorfs having a hard time forming relationships and some unresolved stress-stacking issues). Should be tweaked to a reasonable level in a couple of releases time. Exile option was also added, which partially helps.

In other news, the "quick releases and low hanging fruit" cycle ran into a snag when Toady had an ambitious Mood. Now over 6 months and counting for next release on villains (and Adventurer pets and parties).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:46:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:03:41 am »

Dwarves clean not only underground caves and caverns. Even your tavern and depot on surface gets cleaned too. They need just have some reason to idle for a wee close to dirt patch.

Lots of less bugs in Dwarf Fortress. FPS was improved by 75%. Very playable experience now. [Warning: does not apply to Adventure Mode]

Emotional system causes issue with rain, rotting cloths and seeing dead bodies. So from start assume, you will need to put some immigrants, and maybe few of the starting 7 dwarves under bridge for smashing, or to expel them out with new banish feature. This option is accessible in same place there you enable jobs on dwarves in vanilla DF.

New map for world, which was missing in Fortress Mode. Not much to do there, but to send raids. Because squads are returning 1 dwarf by 1 dwarf and it can erase those arriving with animals or invasions or caravans... so you better send 1-2 squads max on raids and not at beginning or ending of the month. Other options do not do much.

Some inter-workings involving temples, taverns and libraries were improved, but creating first books in libraries seems a wee bugy (if not extremely prolonged) for some reason.

No new buildings/workshops to play with, but lots of bugs cleared and fps death comes much later now :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:35:08 am »

Out with the old bugs, in with the new! :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 11:22:50 am »

As you play, stressed dwarfs will become a problem. Do not wait for them to crack under pressure. Much info is in this thread. You can also exile dwarfs from your fort.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2019, 11:23:31 am »

if you can still get hands on a 44.09 version, do so. it doesnt have the stress issues, but already got most of the other new features.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 11:33:35 am »

TBH I like the new stress features even if they're a handful. To each their own, though. You might not share my sensibilities.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2019, 05:57:57 pm »

if you can still get hands on a 44.09 version, do so. it doesnt have the stress issues, but already got most of the other new features.
All versions are available to download from the download page so that's no issue. The crashes and lag fixed up since 44.09 might be though.

Better off playing the latest version and turning dwarven stress propensity right down if you don't want to deal with it.
Personally I much rather dwarves who get stressed than not at all. Off-site holdings are nice too (along with the ability to exile stressed dwarves there).

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 07:37:07 am »

well, 44.09 or 44.10 aren't lacking stress completely and it hasn't crashed on me for quite the while.
i want to wait for the balanced stress though before venturing forth as i had enough problems in my forts without the "OMG it's raining on me, i'm going to kill my whole family!".
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 04:59:41 pm »

well, 44.09 or 44.10 aren't lacking stress completely and it hasn't crashed on me for quite the while.
i want to wait for the balanced stress though before venturing forth as i had enough problems in my forts without the "OMG it's raining on me, i'm going to kill my whole family!".
You managed to get stressed dwarves in 44.09?
Not insane failed mood dwarves, or argument-turned-into-a-fistfight dwarves, but actually harrowed at their worthless life stressed?

Because people were setting up ultimate-hell-camp situations in desperate attempts to stress their dorfs, and failing before it was fixed so you might be thinking back to a version when it was actually working.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 06:43:26 pm »

Not insane failed mood dwarves, or argument-turned-into-a-fistfight dwarves, but actually harrowed at their worthless life stressed?

Because people were setting up ultimate-hell-camp situations in desperate attempts to stress their dorfs, and failing before it was fixed so you might be thinking back to a version when it was actually working.
I had 3/200 dwarves get red arrows back in 43.03 (don't see any emotion changes listed from then until 44.10,) just from usual fort life. One of the three went melancholic, with the highest Stress Vulnerability.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:54:36 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 10:05:59 pm »

Well, here's the thread on mantis.
To be honest, I recall getting a stressed dwarf once too in 40.24 so it obviously wasn't impossible. Just, well, not Fun.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=9074

Derro

• Bay Watcher
  • Imprisoned Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 05:51:57 am »

My only long-term game in the most recent version had a *lot* of dwarves get stressed, and a number of those stumble around obliviously/become withdrawn/throw tantrums, but then again it was a real hellhole so idk how representative that was.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 09:38:38 am »

I had 3/200 dwarves get red arrows back in 43.03 (don't see any emotion changes listed from then until 44.10,) just from usual fort life. One of the three went melancholic, with the highest Stress Vulnerability.
yes, it's rather that when shit hits the fan, the dorfs get mentally ill, but it doesn't happen unless many beloved ones died and/or they had to go without clothes and booze for a long time.