Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wargroove  (Read 2279 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Wargroove
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:00:04 pm »

Wargroove, which released today, is a 2D sprite-based tactical turn-based wargame developed by Chucklefish. If you own Starbound on Steam, you just got a coupon for this.

For the most likely interested audience: if you have fond memories of Advance Wars, buy this now. It's just straight up fantasy-flavored Advance Wars with deeper mechanics, a full map, cutscene, and campaign editor, and naval units that aren't pointless. There's a SP campaign, local skirmish vs AI or other people + a few other SP modes, and online multiplayer skirmish.

It also has Florans as one of the factions.

Oh, and the base price is $20 US.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:41:41 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
Re: Wargroove
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:13:30 pm »

I look forward to it.  I remember enjoying Advance Wars quite a bit.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 12:16:44 pm »

It's outon the Switch, Xb1, & PS4 as well. It has crossplay (not sure if the PS4 version does though) and it features an asynchronous multiplayer mode.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 12:21:27 pm by Wiles »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 12:51:57 pm »

I'm a massive AW/AW2 fan, I'm getting this for sure.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 01:38:12 pm »

Just found out about this because I got that 15% off coupon from owning Starbound on Steam. This game looks interesting, but I probably won't be getting it anytime soon, so if you'd like the coupon, shoot me a message.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 01:43:09 pm by Persus13 »
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 02:08:56 pm »

Never played Advance Wars, but I did look at this. Anyone have any comparisons to PC games it might be like?

If you'd tried it, what's your general consensus?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 02:16:58 pm »

I'm interested in this game, when I have the money for it at least. Is there a demo anywhere? I *would* like to actually check if I can run it first - it doesn't look all that intensive but I'd still like to try.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 02:51:55 pm »

Advance Wars stressed me out like no other game ever has. I lost the game cartridge years ago, and every time I think about looking for it, my inner voice tells me to let it be.

Persus13

• Bay Watcher
  • 6th King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 03:00:16 pm »

Never played Advance Wars, but I did look at this. Anyone have any comparisons to PC games it might be like?

I've also seen folks compare Wargroove to Battle of Wesnoth, if that helps.
Congratulations Persus, now you are forced to have the same personal text for an entire year!
Longbowmen horsearcher doomstacks that suffer no attrition and can navigate all major rivers without ships.
Sigtext

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 05:03:36 pm »

Fire Emblem is another common comparison, if you're familiar with that.

I've played through the first few campaign missions. So far I'm loving the art design, the gameplay is smooth, the new mechanics seem intuitive, and the UI's not bad. There's also this clever thing they do where, rather than not having any voice acting at all, they have short exclamations, statements, noises, &c. that align with the nature of different lines of dialogue.

One of the big things they've done to the formula is adding "critical strikes" which, rather than being random chance, are based on specific criteria for each unit. So spearmen will crit when adjacent to other spearmen, basic infantry will crit when adjacent to the commander unit, &c. That's on top of the sort of advantage/disadvantage rock-paper-scissors formula common to this niche genre, and it looks like unit variety is high enough to make a good level of complexity even just with basic skirmishes.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 05:30:16 pm »

I'm interested in this game, when I have the money for it at least. Is there a demo anywhere? I *would* like to actually check if I can run it first - it doesn't look all that intensive but I'd still like to try.
Buy it and play it for a couple hours, then refund it if you don't like it. I do that all the time.

One of the big things they've done to the formula is adding "critical strikes" which, rather than being random chance, are based on specific criteria for each unit. So spearmen will crit when adjacent to other spearmen, basic infantry will crit when adjacent to the commander unit, &c. That's on top of the sort of advantage/disadvantage rock-paper-scissors formula common to this niche genre, and it looks like unit variety is high enough to make a good level of complexity even just with basic skirmishes.
That's so cool!!! Isn't the newest Fire Emblem supposed to have formation stuff too? The reason I wasn't picking up the newer FE games is because I didn't really sense that they were doing anything new with the tactics, I would have been happy if Wargroove was basically just AW2 but with working multiplayer but this sounds great. C:

I can't wait to try this game, I haven't been this excited for a game in a freaking minute.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 12:23:56 am »

Advance Wars is/was the shiznit. I'll have to give this a try when I have a working computer.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ventuswings

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 11:21:49 am »

Best spiritual successor to Advance Wars so far, though there are some convenience improvements that could be made (such as being able to check attack zone of every unit with a single key toggle, click instead of press to skip).

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2019, 03:48:26 pm »

Oh it's out?? Crap. Now there's like four games that I desperately want to play but have no time for  ::)
I will buy it when I get time off.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2019, 03:51:55 pm »

It must be good, my roommate bought it and I keep hearing him cursing about not getting three stars on missions.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: [1] 2