Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17

Author Topic: Between the Rivers: Gods Adrift [IC]  (Read 21388 times)

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
Between the Rivers: Gods Adrift [IC]
« on: February 01, 2019, 08:25:27 pm »

Water, the giver of life.
Soil, the womb of life.
Sand, the bane of life.

TURN 0: Age of Death, Luminous Moon, Year of No King.

The ebbs and flows of the rivers, of both this world and the next, have fed the lands of Err since time immemorial. For a time immemorial, the good gods of Err have ruled in Joy and Beauty. For a time immemorial, all was good.

The ebbs and flows of the sands, of both this world and the next, have buried the lands of Err since time immemorial. For a time immemorial, the foul gods of Err have been dead in Silence and Distraught. For a time immemorial, all was foul.

The ebbs and flows of the soil, of both this world and the next, fed the lands of Err since time memorial. For a time memorial, the new gods of Err have arisen to Power and Thought. For a time memorial, all paths have been opened and will open.

The gods awoke, one by one. Some had been there for perhaps a day, perhaps a century. perhaps since the time of convention itself. It mattered not. Only now had their Power grown to be greater than the sprites and wisps that inhabited all things. Only now did they possess the divine spark and the power of change.

The Shattered Statuecame to life, or perhaps merely awoke, just north of the city of Err. Upon the flat floodplains of the great river Err, one could easily see the ruined spires and ziggurats of the city that once was. Not that this meant anything to the Statue. It's memory of the city, if it ever had any, was quite blank. What mattered most to it was its own repair. For now however, it scoped its surroundings. It felt Life nearby, of the intelligent variety. Furless bipeds that fed upon the bounty of the river, and sometimes created that bounty themselves. A voice, who it knew as a Helper somehow, told him (her?) that they were humans. The Helper Kyrie told them that they were primitive beings only knowing of stonework that lived with nature. As for other creatures, the Statue sensed all sorts of small creatures writhing in the floodplains. Insects, spiders, jellyfish, frogs, mice, rivercats...even larger creatures such as elephants, great goats or pigs. The Helper reminded the Statue that if they needed any help identifying any other life forms, she would be happy to comply.

Fu came to being downstream of the city of Err, upon a patch of land between the rolling hills of what was once called Edam and the lower marshes of the Err river. Regardless, all of it teemed with Life! Muskrats, beavers, aurochs, marshlions, sea cows, dolphins and many other forms of life inhabited the river Err and its marshes, all subsisting on the river's rich bounty. Amongst these marshes, primitive creatures called humans built simple rafts of reed and thatch, harvesting and hunting to their hearts' content. Of course, here too, they were fed upon by more cunning or stronger creatures. The dreamcrocodile, rainbow snake and bearded duck all hunted humans just as they hunted lesser beings. Or at least, that's what the Helper in their head told them. If Fu focused on herself with great effort, it could feel something stirring to the north similar to itself.

Basderieen rose in the sands of the south, far from Err. To most creatures, this land was barren. A sea of sand and of death. To some, it was home. A few humans subsisted on roots and desert plants, wearing the Gifts of the Mother, these loose clothes allowed them to survive the desert heat. Besides from that however, they were almost animals, knowing only the stonework and the knowledge of the desert foods. His helper told him that the Mother oft clothed the wretches in exchange for their children, who she took to her Paradise in the centre of the Jungle.

Metalhandawoke in the ruins of the Crafter's Place. What it had crafted, who had crafted, when had it been inhabited...the answers to these questions had been lost to time. However, Metalhand knew what he was, he knew he had been raised to care for this place. He knew that beyond this workshop, there was a forest. Beyond this forest, there was an oasis. Beyond this oasis, there was a whole world. And that world was Err, as his Helper told him. This oasis was beloved by travelling nomadic humans, primitive creatures who knew only stonework; nothing compared to the lost arts of those who once crafted here, Metalhand knew. Besides them, there was always life. Travelling herds of elephants, leaftigers, blue pigs or dreaded sandfowl oft came here to rest and relieve themselves from the desert's hardship. At least, that's what the Helper told him.

Shelldon greeted the day of his birth/awakening/death with claws raised. Posed upon a small patch of dry land, Shelldon could survey his future dominion. Around him all was bog and marsh, in which all manner of life existed. Seacow, hippo, bogdonkey, marshlion, antwolf, antelope, river hogs and even more creatures lived here amongst the reeds and trees of the Err delta. Some of them walked upon two legs and knew the riddle of stone. A few of these had learnt the more difficult riddle, learning the secret of twine, learning the power of spear and bow. These were the small children, the pygmies of the marshes. The Helper had provided that info with some joviality. Little creatures, they had somehow turned out wiser than their larger cousins. The Helper wondered if there was more to them.

Du-Ur opened itself to the world readily upon the peaks of the north. From its vantage point, it spied miles upon miles of stony desert. Despite this, there was life down there. A pack of lions here, a herd of humans there. Not much life, but it was there. On this mountain however, there was perhaps a bit more life. Attracted by the cooler temperatures perhaps, many a small creature lives on its slopes. Even some humans, so said the Helper. A few, perhaps 30 or 40, but not more than that. The mountain was still barren, still dead, still far from life's source.

Midanerupted from the time before life atop a volcano, one of the few in Err. It surveyed its surroundings and saw mountain and mountain and mountain. Beyond these, the Helper told him, were sands and sands and sands. Beyond those were soil and water. The Helper was clearly partial to the...greener parts of the world. This did not mean that the mountains were barren, far from it. Upon the peaks and slopes, and the valleys between, many creatures and plants and fungi (as well as everything else) survived and thrived. Ibexes, humans, eagles, dwarf whales, dwarf aurochs, leopards, shrews, spiders, ferns, cycads and more dwelt here upon the mountains. To the north, however, Midan could sense a hunger. He could not tell what it was and the Helper would not clarify, only that there was hunger in the north.

Kakkabum in his august royalty, awoke from birth-slumber ready to rule and watch. In fact, it was already watching. It could feel the eyes of mortals, but not human, watch him through their own eyes. Both the eyes they had on their bodies, and the eyes that they did not. They seemed to be downriver, but also elsewhere in the mountains. The Helper recommended caution, for the elders are most powerful. Interestingly, there were no humans around. At least, none Kakkabum could sense.

Tala she of the long staff and hardened glass, opened her eyes to the world. And it was good. Her land was between the waters of the Err and the mountains that led to the harsher lands beyond Err. No great bog or marsh penetrated her land, and yet, there was life. Much life. The birds chirped, the hippos danced, the lions fed the cheetah cubs and the humans were eaten by the marshcows. Life was here, and it was at balance. Her Helper had no comment to make, beyond the fact that she should look towards acquiring more power.

Vulpes Grande's statue seemed to turn redder as it realised it's own sapience. Around it, there was but sand and nothing but sand. Here there might be a small shrub, there there might be a lizard. Sometimes a few ants. Beyond that, there was nothing. Its helper was perplexed; why had it materialised here? Sand was Death. And all that was here fed on Death.

Sarkyran welcomed the new state of affairs upon the isthmus between the two great rivers, a land of plenty. Olives and apples seemingly grew here naturally, with fertile fields and abundant forms of life. This fertility attracted many herbivores, which in turn brought carnivores the world over to feed. Amongst them were primitive humans, of stick and stone. Beyond the isthmus, downriver, lied the dead city of Err. Even now, with no cloud in the sky and the stun ever shining, the city loomed in darkness. And yet, life flourished. And this life would soon flourish, under the rule of Sarkyran. At least, that was what the Helper said.

Guar jovially appeared on the physical plane between the mountains that formed Err's periphery. There was life here upon the plains, like wild horses and cheetahs. Wolves, antelope, auroch and deer also clambered upon the wide open plains. Shrews and moles dug beneath the dirt, while all forms of smaller life percolated between everything else. Rare was the tree upon these great plains, although many forms of shrub and grass did grow there. As for Guar, he could sense the most faintest of sensations to the south, of a power similar to his own.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 11:09:26 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Between the Rivers: Gods Adrift [IC]
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 08:26:12 pm »

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:51:48 pm by micelus »
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 08:27:05 pm »

Spoiler: Player Entities (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 08:56:43 pm by micelus »
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 09:16:34 pm »

Metalhand’s first action was to tidy up the patch of forest around and in the Maker’s Place, simplifying the foliage to generic “wood”, suitable for construction and crafting as all wood is.
His second action is to create the Maker’s Tools:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Finally, he waits for mortals to arrive at his abode so that he may speak with them.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:32:21 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 09:26:51 pm »

Basderieen Starts off his time in the middle of nowhere by sinking the land- from this sunken land he forges a source of water- a Lake- a massive oasis in the middle of this damn sandy wasteland- then me looks off to 'his' helper and says- "What in the damn name of Err lives out here besides those weakass humans?"
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 09:47:45 pm »

Du-Ur awoke in a great door slam. "I AM OPEN!" he shouted from the mountaintop, letting his voice carry far and wide. Revitalized by this healthy shouting, he looked down on these poor mortals.

Action1: Speak
Du-Ur moved to the place the Humans gathered in, descending the mountain like an avalanche. Then, he appeared before them in a roar. Then, Du-Ur said with a mighty voice:
"I AM DU-UR! BEHOLD MY HOLY FORM, YOU PITIFUL CREATURES OF FLESH. LET ME GRACE YOU WITH A GIFT, THE GIFT OF DU-UR! FEAST YOUR EYES UPON MY HOLY FORM, AND LEARN! LEARN OF DU-UR! BUILD LESSER REPLICAS OF DU-UR, AND PLACE THEM AT THE ENTRANCE OF YOUR HOMES, AND YOU WILL NEVER FEAR THE NIGHT AGAIN!"

Action2: Landshift S5 (3DP) 

"NOW WITNESS THE POWER OF DU-UR! AND TELL THE MEN OF THE DESERT OF DU-UR! ALSO I COULD HAVE TOTALLY SMASHED THAT MOUNTAIN, BUT SOME HIGHER FORCE DECIDED I COULD NOT!!!"

Du-Ur focused on the south-western rocky desert. Using 3DP, he smashed the rock apart to create a massive crater, deep enough for the phreatic table lying dormant under to rise to the surface!
Rock Desert > Crater-Lake-Oasis?

Action3: Raise Disciple (1CP)
Du-Ur looked again at the probably awe-struck mortals. The primitive creatures didn't have homes for doors! Oh the tragedy!
Du-Ur chose the human with the squarest features, and made him a Disciple of Du-Ur!!! Such honor!

"YOU SHALL BE THE FIRST DISCIPLE OF DU-UR!!! YOU SHALL BE KNOW AS THE FIRST DOORMAKER!!! HERE, SEE IN YOUR MIND THE PLANS FOR THE FRIEND OF DOORS: THE HOUSE!!!"

Name: ***, First Doormaker
Appearance: A human with square features.
Personality [optional]: Whatever his personality was before, though he should be fascinated by doors and Du-Ur now!
PHYS: PS: 1  AS: 1
SPIR: EGO: 0 SS: 0 W: 1
Myths: N/A
Initiative: High
Orders:
1. Build Houses and most importantly, DOORS! for your people!
2. Spread the love of DOORS and DU-UR!
3. Use the stone remnants of the mountain to build stuff!
Traits:
1. Door maker!
2. Masonry and Architecture Knowledge
« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 04:48:00 am by Nakéen »

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 09:51:41 pm »

Basderieen Starts off his time in the middle of nowhere by sinking the land- from this sunken land he forges a source of water- a Lake- a massive oasis in the middle of this damn sandy wasteland- then me looks off to 'his' helper and says- "What in the damn name of Err lives out here besides those weakass humans?"

"Ants, scorpions. Lions. Sand lizards. Acacia. Some shrubs."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

darkwarlock3

• Bay Watcher
  • !!LET IT BURN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 10:18:57 pm »

Action 1: i go talk to the pygmies i am the mighty god of adaption and of the sea, you creatures have been chosen to become something greater than what you are, all i require is your worship and a tribute of one sacrifice every 10 years, it doesn't matter if its one of your own or a traveler, in exchange i'll protect you and even bless your land, if you show great loyalty to me i'll change you into a much stronger being
Action 2: in addition i demonstrate my power by annihilating some wildlife with 2 DP
action 3: i recreate the wildlife i annihilated with the use of 2 CP
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 12:03:17 am by darkwarlock3 »
I need more things to join, Send me a request if you need players for something.
I came for the games and stayed for the lack of sanity.
Grammar is my only weakness

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 10:23:58 pm »

Guar would wake up and see that he is all alone. He looked out across the plains. He saw a great deal of animals, but few trees and no mortals. This simply would not do. Guar did not find himself in a very good area. Here, after being told by his helper what the most dangerous of beasts was, set about his work. He created a champion from a grass snake to grow his faith while he slept.

Guar would then make two accoutrements and place them in a safe place before falling asleep, hoping that mortals would one day be gifted them by Juaar. These would be his gifts to his followers, should they come and claim them.

"Juuar, I have created two gifts for the followers you garner while I rest. As my beloved companion, I dread leaving you alone in this world. But so is the nature of my existence, and why I have raised you as I have. I know not what this strange world will hold for you over the coming days, but I wish you good fortunes and happy hunting! These two gifts are for you to distribute as you see fit. When you have found a suitable mortal who may rule over other mortals under you, give them these gifts and tell them of their nature. It is on this soil that we will craft the world we so desire, and that world requires you, a lord to rule under you, citizens under them, slaves beneath them, and finally beasts of burden. This is your duty, to bring this world into fruition as I am forced to leave it. I know well you can achieve this, for you stand as the harbinger of this future, and by my side as my compatriot. I must leave now, I shall miss you while I am gone, farewell and good luck!"

Guar then goes to sleep, his giant glowing form resting against a tall cliff while his legs stretch out into the fields before him.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2019, 05:55:09 am by Roboson »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 12:48:25 am »

Sarkyran looked upon his new realm in joy, truly this was a blessing for any and all mortals that could live in this place. Abundant food, a pleasant climate and a veritable haven for life. It would need to be protected, of course. But nothing was in the way of him doing that effectively. Curious about the mortals nearby, he turned to his helper, a look of curiosity and inquisitiveness displayed upon his face. "Please, do tell me more about the local humans. I find them rather intriguing."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 12:51:37 am »

Sarkyran looked upon his new realm in joy, truly this was a blessing for any and all mortals that could live in this place. Abundant food, a pleasant climate and a veritable haven for life. It would need to be protected, of course. But nothing was in the way of him doing that effectively. Curious about the mortals nearby, he turned to his helper, a look of curiosity and inquisitiveness displayed upon his face. "Please, do tell me more about the local humans. I find them rather intriguing."

"They are nomads, but those who have come here don't oft need travel far; this place has enough food and only a moderate amount of danger. They live good lives, assuming they grow to adulthood. For the most part, they hunt and they gather using stonework and the like. Seeking good stone is the only reason any of them leave this place."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2019, 01:08:37 am »

Metalhand’s first action was to tidy up the patch of forest around and in the Maker’s Place, simplifying the foliage to generic “wood”, suitable for construction and crafting as all wood is.
Finally, he waits for mortals to arrive at his abode so that he may speak with them.

A group of naked humans wander into Metalhand's grove, as they had before and perhaps will do again. They look perplexed, perhaps at all the changes.
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2019, 01:17:57 am »

Before making any actions, Tala asks her helper the following queries
> Marshcows? What are they? What are they capable of?
> What are the sapient folks here?
> I'm going to turn into an Idol soon...I plan to unite marshcows and people that they not fight
> What'll happen if the Mountains turn into highlands? Any benefit to these creatures here other than maybe being a stepping stone to the mountains?
> Can I have a lead on acquiring power since I am so new and young, Helper?
> I sense the spirits, Helper, tell me more of what I may do in the spirit realm, I wish to speak to these humans but also pave way for their growth, because I will sleep soon
> I have power. Does it take me an action to spend all power on different things (e.g. growing food and taming harsh creatures), or is it all in one action of spending power?
> I sense no manner of helping mortals. What may I do to ensure safety and maintenance of life around me? I will be making food sources before my sleep.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 01:22:44 am by Tiruin »

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2019, 01:36:40 am »

[Du-Ur edited his action]

micelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2019, 02:01:04 am »

Before making any actions, Tala asks her helper the following queries
> Marshcows? What are they? What are they capable of?
> What are the sapient folks here?
> I'm going to turn into an Idol soon...I plan to unite marshcows and people that they not fight
> What'll happen if the Mountains turn into highlands? Any benefit to these creatures here other than maybe being a stepping stone to the mountains?
> Can I have a lead on acquiring power since I am so new and young, Helper?
> I sense the spirits, Helper, tell me more of what I may do in the spirit realm, I wish to speak to these humans but also pave way for their growth, because I will sleep soon
> I have power. Does it take me an action to spend all power on different things (e.g. growing food and taming harsh creatures), or is it all in one action of spending power?
> I sense no manner of helping mortals. What may I do to ensure safety and maintenance of life around me? I will be making food sources before my sleep.

"Not answering those that were answered in the Other Place!"

"Certainly!" The Helper then quotes exactly what is said in the "Plane Spiritual" section of the rules.

"Mmmm....Those are two different actions, yes."

"Hmm? There's oodles of ways you can help. They have lots of food. It's just that they are also food. Perhaps you could teach the ways of hiding or fighting? Perhaps just kill those that would harm them? The choice is up to you, but I recommend giving them tools of death. If you care solely for the maintenance and safety of *all* forms of life, then I don't see you needing to do anything! They are all quite happy as they are."
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 17