Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Glitch fortress succession game.  (Read 9558 times)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Glitch fortress succession game.
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2019, 01:10:18 am »

So, the only viable strat for this level of !!FUN!! is to move, then seal yourself underground ASAP, with cavern diving being the next step. Would it be best to rely on reproduction as the only method of population growth?
No trade implies that trade depots are useless, exponential* population growth implies that only 7 beds are strictly needed.
*exponential in the form f(t)= bt +6, where f(t) is the population of dwarves and b is approximately equal to 1 for "reasonable" values of t.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 01:24:58 am by methylatedspirit »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2019, 01:26:23 am »

OK, Quick and dirty backstory submission

Dark Crucible: The Divine Wager

Among the gods, there has always been a rivalry between the divinities of darkness, and those of creation. War in heaven has been tried in the past, but the results are too terrible even for the gods themselves. Even the lords of eternal night have forsworn to never act in such a way again.

Instead, to settle disputes and challenges, a system of "resolution through proof" was established.  It was through this new celestial decree, that the world of the Dark Crucible was created.

The forces of light and creation, disturbed by the corrupt and destructive nature of the beings produced by the forces of darkness, laid a challenge before their dark kinsmen. "We labor eternally to create worlds of peace and harmony, and you create nothing. You take what we have made, and twist it into horrors. You take the great forests we labor to cultivate, and turn them into barren expanses of death and decay.  We challenge you-- CREATE SOMETHING OF YOUR OWN."

And so, they did.

In a shameless mockery of the denizens of light and creation, the dark gods created this world; Ever effort was taken. The safe, orderly matter of the world's foundations was instead produced from the essences of pestilence, pain, cruelty and decay itself given solid forms. Unfathomable numbers of unspeakable horrors were created wholesale, and placed upon the world. Vast forests of evil, seas of despair, deserts of madness, and savannas of cruelty were meticulously crafted.  Then finally-- In a final backhanded blow, the gods of darkness performed one final act of blasphemous creation.

They created perfect replicas of the favored children of the light-- Elves, Men, and Dwarves, and placed them into this savage charnel-house of their design. To test their plans, then watched for over 1000 years, as the creatures they had made ruthlessly slaughtered the facsimiles of the light-- Quickly, Efficiently, and in their totality. Content with their design, they issued their own challenge.

"let us see, oh brothers, which of our creations is indeed the most fitting!" Hissed the dark lords in bellicose laughter, having thoroughly tested and perfected their world. "Your children-- OR OURS.  You complain that our children threaten the existence of yours in your precious green worlds. Worlds that are soft, and easy. We have risen to your challenge-- We have made a world of our own. A PERFECT WORLD.  Now, Prove that your children are greater than ours!  Send forth the strongest and most stalwart of your children, and subdue this world-- The world of our challenge-- If you can! You may send aid twice, and twice only-- and then your children must prosper, or you concede the challenge!" they rasped; Gleaming sharp teeth behind blood soaked lips and glowing eyes. "Rise to our challenge, or admit your hollow conceit!"

And so, One fateful day on that doom-spoken world, 7 dwarves awoke next to a wagon loaded with supplies, Alone, and besieged on all sides. A booming voice came from all around.

"DIG! Strike the earth! Conquer and Subdue this harsh land! Be Vigilant, for we are watchful, You who are the hope of the light. Bring order to this land of chaos!"

Then all was silent.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2019, 01:33:40 am »

In addition to the two hard coded migrant waves, there will be two hard-coded trade caravans.  After that, there will no further trade, so destruction of the depot is reasonable at that point.

After that, all population growth MUST be through children being born in the fortress.  There is no other reserve population on this world.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2019, 01:38:24 am »

What's the fastest way to get the dwarves to move everything underground?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2019, 01:41:08 am »

Custom stockpile with everything turned on, with a CONSTRUCTED downstair into a room below, placed right next to the wagon. (You can deconstruct the downstair, and you will have a soil tile in its place after!)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2019, 02:15:36 am »

What happens if a mandate by the king/queen isn't met in time, but the justice system hasn't been unlocked?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2019, 02:30:23 am »

What happens if a mandate by the king/queen isn't met in time, but the justice system hasn't been unlocked?
They'll be a bit upset over it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2019, 12:53:49 pm »

OK, Quick and dirty backstory submission

*snip*

Perfect. Just... perfect.

So. Who wants to whip up a turnlist and move this over to Community Games & Stories?

Blademan last posted (not counting this thread) in 2014 and hasn't logged on in two weeks. I dunno if he's going to come back to this or not... Blade? You there?
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2019, 01:20:52 pm »

I've been playing a test fortress, and I have gotten quite a few migrant waves.  Clearly dwarves survived the holocaust.  The story needs revision.

Oh well.  Dying, not dead.

Also, I think I know why the other races died out.  There is no soil. (well, kinda sorta there is... but it's buried. I have found only a tiny patch of white sand on my embark.) This means no surface plants, which means humans and elves starved to death.

Dwarves get food from underground muddy tiles, so they did not starve out.  They just had their asses handed to them by monsters and goblins.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 05:15:11 pm »

The dwarves survived? I also played another fortress, but all I got after the first two is "The fortress attracted no migrants this season." Admittedly, I built a wall around my trade depot in a short-sighted attempt to get their stuff. Also, where did the dwarves come from? I abandoned my first fortress, and there was only one civ during embark.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2019, 12:32:08 am »

After the first caravan, I got an announcement that several dwarves who were not members of my fortress had become barons and or trade liasons.

I will get their names. Hold on.

Asmel Ginetdatan -- Outpost Liason
Sakzul ilromvucar -- Diplomat
Thob Ceroluker  -- General
Udib Lalturlibash -- Baroness of Flickeroiled

So I presume the site they survived at is "Flickeroiled"

I just did a quick poke in the civ screen- Flickeroiled is in the north west portion of the map, nestled at the northern foot of a mountain.  It says no civilized population. 

I will unpack a fresh copy of the world and examine in legends mode.

OK, Looks like Flickeroiled was smashed by a hill titan in 153(ish).  After that, the only activity I see is from a performance troupe called The Scorpions of Mesh, made up of a group of elves and Goblins, who wrote shittons of books there all the way to the present. 

I will check out the dwarves that were appointed.

Nope, cannot find references. Must not be hist figures??

I will filter histfig section for dwarves, and see who survived.

OK, legends viewer says no dwarves survived. 

It says 5 elves survived, all members of the Scorpions of Mesh except one-- who is a member of the Unholy Rages.

There are 3 human necromancers, all male.

There are MANY instances to "Unknown creatures", for instance, one of the surviving elves is descended from unknown creatures, and has an unknown creature child.  Many references to historical events, like foot race or item creations, are attributable to unknown creatures. 

Curious.

I think I will make a tavern, and try to convince this theatrical troupe to visit.  So I can forcibly contain them, and study them.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:28:40 am by wierd »

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2019, 02:14:41 am »

My parent civ is Isdenlorbam, "The Watchful Standard". This is the list I have:

Vucar Otungbim -- diplomat/Merchant
Muthkat Gidthurzulban -- general/Merchant
Rith Keskalkun -- baron of Flickeroiled/Merchant
Libash Mubununib -- king/Miner
[The list ended here]

The name in italics is a citizen of my fortress, the thing in bold is for emphasis.

Does this mean that the game is generating random dwarves after embark to occupy the positions? Unrelated, but I did my own poking around in the civ screen, and I found the best name for a cave: The Cave Of The Cave Of Wisdom (punctuation is exact). It's a little southeast of this fortress named Sabreochre, which in turn is south of Flickeroiled.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 03:02:39 am »

PTW.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2019, 12:34:11 pm »

It's starting to look like we might be subject to the "civ that wouldn't die" bug here. The dwarf civ has a population of 0, but for whatever reason the game hasn't registered it as properly dead yet... I think.

If I'm right, we'll get migrants as normal, but none of them historical entities-- the game'll just pull them out of thin air* as necessary. Did you get a dwarven caravan in the fall?

*Air, abominable smog, unholy dust... whatever.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2019, 02:42:33 pm »

My test fortress has seen 3 caravans, and close to 6 migrant waves.

The forces of light are cheating bastards. :P

I think it has something to do with the dead fortress having no conqueror, and being home (800+ years later!!) to some 32 visitors.  (at least according to legends mode viewer)  It might be considering those visitor populations as site pop, but with no genuine residents, deciding that the site has sufficient "population", then generating dwarves out of the aether to fill missing positions now that a monarch has appeared.

All supposition mind..  But I really do want to see one of these "unknown creatures".  Considering that this is a purposefully glitched fortress, it is possible that there are "dwarves" (that the game is not registering as dwarves) living at the site.

Perhaps I will take a new unpack of the world in adv mode to the site in question, and see what's there.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7