Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I've done a lot of searching and cannot find the answer.  (Read 1155 times)

Junkrunner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
I've done a lot of searching and cannot find the answer.
« on: February 03, 2019, 10:58:58 pm »

I've read somewhere that it's possible to turn everything off and be left with vanilla DF in MDF. How ever I cannot find the exact settings to do so. I would have thought that someone would have made a profile to do just that.

I have tried to turn everything off and I still end up with a lot more stuff in the game than there would be in vanilla, buildings for example.

Now all of this could be due to me still learning to play DF, but I can't figure this out.

Also before you ask, why would you want to do that?

There's madness behind the method here... As I'm getting on top of vanilla DF (or LNP for that matter), I'd like to start introducing some MDF content slowly. Also it just seems like MDF has got a much nicer launcher and almost everything you could wish for is bundled already. If what I want to do is possible it's almost like the launcher should just have a lazy noob mode which turns off all the advanced stuff and leaves you essentially with a much nicer LNP.

If someone could be so kind as to point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Also if this cannot be done, let me know so I can stop chasing my own tail here...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I've done a lot of searching and cannot find the answer.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 01:07:49 pm »

First, you use the launcher to toggle the features you want. 
For vanilla, all is off except dwarf civ active in fort mode and adv (adventure) mode. 
After that, you need to generate a world with all the settings, then start playing that world. 

If later on you want to introduce MDF stuff like wood and leather, you will then enable those and create a new world.

Simply selecting what you want from the MDF launcher and click play will not update existing save games.

Junkrunner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 02:55:29 pm »

I just tried that.

When I turn all the civs off except for dwarves, it refuses to generate a new world. When I turn some other back on it works.

After I generated a new world, the extra buildings are still there... I'm starting to think I must be stupid or something...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 04:57:46 pm »

The extra buildings might be on another tab, maybe named Mods. 
Uncheck those maybe?  Unless VanillaDF in MDF will have those buildings always.

Junkrunner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 05:22:06 pm »

I have unchecked everything, I'm thinking it's baked into the baseline

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:42 pm »

If you turn off all the civs, you get even less than vanilla DF. Goblins, elves, humans and kobolds should still remain active.

You should be able to turn everything off. Which buildings remain when you try that?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Junkrunner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 07:57:07 pm »

Steam engine, magma steam engine and a few others like gaming table. I'm pretty new to DF but I don't see those in the base game.
screenshot here: https://pasteboard.co/HZYYNL6.png
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:00:40 pm by Junkrunner »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 08:08:38 pm »

Ok, that's certainly not supposed to happen. The CRYSTAL_GARDEN especially surprises me, since such a workshop is not even in any of the entity files; nor does it have a function. It wasn't even created by me, it's the first time I hear about it. Guess Amostubal has changed a few more things than just bugfixes and keeping the mod a bit up-to-date, while I was away.

Might I ask why you want to play vanilla DF using this set btw? It makes no sense to me. You could just play vanilla DF. If it's the graphics you are after, there is a much more refined version of it's tileset here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=161047.0
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Junkrunner

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:11 pm »

The original idea was to start off with vanilla and slowly add mdf features as I get on top of the cliff. But seeing as how I'd have to regen my world anyway that idea seems to hold less merit now...