Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting a presciption in the US (not pain pills, etc)  (Read 5966 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a presciption in the US (not pain pills, etc)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 03:59:41 pm »

I have no idea what just happened here.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 04:06:50 pm »

Forget it Kagus, it's Chinatown
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2019, 04:14:20 pm »

Still slowly expanding forehead. Slowing more.
Working out times to call GP.
Dating life isn't completely ruined.

Good things.

Any other tips to keep from going bald?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2019, 04:35:30 pm »

You could get a hormone panel, see where your testosterone levels are, what your DHT levels are. There is some component of genetics to which hair follicles are especially sensitive to DHT and will shrink or die off in response to it, and there isn't much you can do about that. But with an understanding of where your hormones are at (very low/high testosterone), you could start taking some corrective action on that front, and see if you notice improvements. Nutrition and exercise are two relatively easy ways to impact hormone levels without exogenous hormone therapy.

No.

Won't read whatever you write.

Have a good life.

Whatever.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »

Nutrition and exercise are two relatively easy ways to impact hormone levels without exogenous hormone therapy.
Yeah, just start a routine that's consistent. Something like 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and run 10km every day.

...wait, shit, don't do that

Forget it Kagus, it's Chinatown
Can I, uh... Can I get a hot & sour to go?

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2019, 12:22:42 pm »

Still dragging my feet on this. Just feels weird.
I do have some underlying digestive issues, but currently managable.....

Not entirely sure why I procrastinate as much.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2019, 03:08:45 pm »

Well, I set up an appointment.

Somewhat odd, but there you are. The person answering the phone said it was fine. This physician is in family practice and is board certified in internal medicine. Apparently, this is a good thing. She did mention it would be best to pair this with a physical, in addition to the possibility of labs for insurance purposes, and also to be safe. This would also permit "ruling out" other causes.

I guess they can have some blood.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2019, 11:10:05 pm »

Also, my appointment is in about a week or so.

Anything I should ask the doctor then or until then? I don't know. I realize I may just go bald. That sucks. I figure if I'm actually going to go to a doctor about this, (and one or two other minor things while I'm there), I might as well do it right, minimize my stupidity, etc.

Other options?  I am not currently comfortable with the whole "just shave it off" deal.
Are wigs a thing that might actually be workable in real life? Thoughts?
-Are they workable?
-maintenance & acquisition?
-Anything to know about them?

Again, I can't be the only one here with this.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2019, 11:11:41 pm by Robot Parade Leader »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 05:13:12 am »

Well, you could ask about microneedling combined with some sort of hair growth product, but there's a good chance that'll be seen as an "unnecessary" risk/expense.

Really the big thing is checking and making sure that it's not a hormonal problem or otherwise related to an underlying health issue. But that's kinda what the doc is looking for to begin with.

Could ask about support groups, they should have a few recommendations on hand, and it might be helpful to get together with and talk with people going through similar straits. And, not least of all, get the chance to see that it doesn't look as bad as you think it would on yourself.

Right, so, wigs/toupées... There are all manner of these things and they exist across the entire spectrum of Roadkill to Better Than Real. Thing is, they generally have appropriate price tags, and the really good ones can be very expensive indeed. Additionally, making the good ones actually look good will come down to your skill at maintaining and wearing the top, and it's something that needs knowledge and practice.

Cosplayers, Drag Queens, chemo patients, theatrical actors, transitional transgender people... Lots of folks use wigs for various purposes. You should be able to look around on YouTube for tips and reviews of various styles and manufacturers. Definitely a lot of flashy stuff out there, but there are plenty of more "natural" looks as well.

Wigs get a bad rap, but people are getting better about being open and accepting of their use. I mean, hell, people have used wigs for millennia... We just like to act weird about them, like any good protestant.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 10:20:04 am »

Just came back from doctor......

Not exactly happy. I called  beforehand, and asked about bringing up this issue. They said it was fine as part of an annual physical.... Actually took a sick day.... My insurance covers one annual visit....

Did the annual physical stuff and not much else. Tried talking about this 3 times. Mostly it was doc yapping about things that were not me. Litterly, other instances of other people, including an unnamed patient who falsified having a hernia for a tummy tuck somebody else botched, insurance fraud and crap that was not my medical anything. I am losing my hair.... It isn't fraud, although perhaps cosmetic, and out of pocket..... Not ideal, as obviously, anyone wants insurance to cover stuff. I understand this might be a pill paid out of my wallet and do not care.

I was told propecia and procar doesn't work, and that it is crap. I was also told to just get monoxidil at wal mart..... I did not need an appointment for that. Worked up the nerve to do it and then brushed off.....  I clearly made it clear I wanted a prescription. Look at the thread title....

Fuck.

Not even sure what to do now.....

I don't even know if I could/should try to scedule another physician's visit.... I'd have to pay out of pocket I imagine.... Which if I had to do fine, but not if I am just going to be brushed off again..... I realize I may have had to pay for the drug out of pocket...... That was not my issue....

I was told propecia was better for women but not if they could become pregnant as it would harm the fetus.... I've read women should never touch the drug ever........ I don't even....

Well now what the shit do I do?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:33:09 am by Robot Parade Leader »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 10:32:54 am »

*shrug* I dont think you have been brushed off. I think you just got an answer you didn't like. Most of the time in these scenarios I think people  should get a second opinion... the rationale being that if someone has a better idea so muxh for the better, and if not, well at least now you have further confirmation...of course my experience in this regard is about different issues...

In your particular case I dont think there is not much of a point in following this up with a GP. I mentioned this already, but you probably want to contact a dermatologist or someone specialized in cosmetic medicine (mind you, the obvious risk is that you might meet someone trying to sell you something)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2019, 10:47:36 am »

I realize I may be wrong. I realize I am flawed.

I was hoping for a discussion on the drug.... Instead I got told its crap, and got talked to about other things: how insurance sucks, how people have been frauds etc.  I feel I needed the physician's understanding of drugs, rather than being told "it's crap."

Maybe I am wrong. Maybe the drug is a sham. If so, I fail to understand why a prescription is needed.

Yes, I did get an anwser I did not like. Yes, I am not the best person, and although quiet and polite, I may be ptojecting on the doctor with blame a bit. Maybe I am wrong for that.

That stated, I would have really liked an honest 5 minutes to discuss something I called ahead about. Why is it crap, does it not work at all and if so again why need a prescription for it? Why does a drug that does not work exist? I feel I am missing something.

I'd say go to your GP and discuss the pros and cons with him or ask for a referral for someone who can discuss the pros and cons. Or both

You do need to have a serious talk with whoever is overseeing this about the pros and cons. Both because you do need to get a clear idea of what you're getting into (and give a clear idea as to what you hope to achieve), and because you are unlikely to get anywhere without a real clinical interview.

That's what I wanted pros and cons and a serious talk. but.... No talk no referrral.... Eh. Is the idea that this drug can cure or stop hair loss complete crap, and if so, what's it for.

So if I call a dermatologist, do I ignore the GP saying its all crap. Typically I do what doctors say.....

Please keep in mind I am not going to bad mouth the doctor or leave a compliant or get them in trouble. I just feel like I have no road to go on.... What's the point of calling a dermatologist if its all "crap."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:57:57 am by Robot Parade Leader »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2019, 12:31:37 pm »

Why does a drug that does not work exist? I feel I am missing something.

Plenty of drugs exist that don't do much if anything because....people buy them out of hope.

As an example, I went to the dermatologist a while ago to get a mole on my back removed. While I was there, I asked for some advice on cleaning up some chronic backne I've dealt with my whole life.

Asked about life style changes, clothing changes, anything....what does the 25 year old Physicians Assistant tell me? He starts cracking jokes then immediately tries to get me to buy a foam that, and I quote, "You can't buy it through the pharmacies." I went hrm.......ok. Maybe I'll try that. Meanwhile, all the practical advice I was looking for was non-existent, the PA basically said "it's this thing or nothing." (Other than a broad based antibiotic or something in the neighborhood of Tetracycline, which I've used in the past for a long time and decided I don't want to be eating pills my whole life to deal with my acne.)

So about 30 minutes after leaving the dermatologist I get a call from a rep working for the drug company that makes this shit....all bubbly and happy and eager to get me to buy the product.

I told them to fuck off.

The PA was clearly in the pocket of the drug company, just funneling patients straight to their sales reps. He didn't listen to my problem or offer any tangible solutions other than trying to peddle this "medicated wonder foam" that is so amazing pharmacies refuse to sell it to you.

Drugs exist as long as there is a market for the problem they claim to address. And I'm not saying your GP doesn't have their own bias. But hair loss is a very, very easy lever on men to get them to spend money to try and solve a problem that, historically, isn't really solvable. I've been seeing hair fixes advertised for 20+ years now, I remember watching the first rush of Rogaine commercials when it was just starting out. Just like fat loss solutions that don't involve diet and exercise are an easy lever on women to get them to spend money.

I guess my point is: don't take the existence of a drug as an indicator of its efficacy. Shit, drug companies manufacturer drugs to sell you, to counteract side effects of OTHER drugs they sell you. The opiod epidemic is just another example of profits being more important than the actual application of drugs.

That said, if you didn't get the details from your GP that you believed you should, see a different doctor or do your own research. If your doctor has already told you it's shit, and you're not inclined to trust their opinion, then I think you're free to make your own informed decision. Just make sure that decision comes from a place of being informed, and not out of desperation.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 04:56:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2019, 05:16:18 pm »

I tend to encourage anyone who seems to have any doubts for second opinions. I think it saves problems in the long run. Most of the time the second opinions are in agreement. Occasionally someone has alternate  (not necessarily better mind you) plans. If the patient likes the other plan better, more power for them, I'm not possesive. On the odd occasion that the second opiner has an open clinical trial, or whatnot, that truly impresses me, even better.

As of late I've gotten praise from nursing staff as to how my "humility" in this regard (eg second opinions, patient transfers). I find that funny because noone close to me would really use that word about me :p   I take pride in my practice and professionalism. I'm pretty sure I'm damn good, but sometimes you don't have the necessary resources at your disposal and someone else does. Other times the best thing for a patient is to get reassured about a course of action by someone else. And I'm also quite young and early career, as far as senior staff goes; I think I'm good and I punch above my weight, but there are people in the business who have been at it far longer than I have and therefore know more tricks of the trade. This is not a matter of humility, this is a matter of reality

The bottom line (and TL, DR) is that your doctor shouldn't be offended that you're looking for more information and I kind of look down on the fragile ego of anyone that would be.

I dont think a referral from GP is straightforward in this scenario, though, as we're largely talking cosmetic medicine.  Maybe dermatology -at most-. Someone who does cosmetics.. you'd probably have to look for that on your own. I do think that you're better off in the hands of a licensed medical professional than looking at stuff by yourself, as it's always good to have a professional to consult with. The final decision is your own, though, and I do encourage yourself to exercise judgement.
Pages: 1 [2]