Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven item ownership  (Read 5975 times)

Nightcore Angel

• Bay Watcher
  • Noice! Now, keel over and DIE!!!
    • View Profile
Dwarven item ownership
« on: February 05, 2019, 07:40:39 am »

So i went to make all kinds of wooden and stone crafts to sell in trade depot, some of those include crown, scepters, and rings. I noticed that some dwarves would nab this and claim the item as their own. How does this actually work? Would i be able to sell these items that have been claimed by the dwarves? How much items would they continue to hoard?

I guess this is something similar with clothing? How does that work too?
Thx in advance  ;)

Stench Guzman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven item ownership
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 08:30:19 am »

Dwarves can claim objects as their own when they handle them.  One of a dwarf's occasional needs is to acquire an object and this will satisfy that need.

If you need to sell stuff early on to buy out a caravan I'd recommend mugs or mechanisms.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 01:30:09 pm »

Claimed items are worn or stored in their rooms. Dorfs keep hoarding clothes because they replace worn ones (plus something that causes them to replace ones in good shape) and store those in their rooms. It's possible to use DFHack (e.g. "cleanowned scattered x") to remove ownership of items, but otherwise I think they continue to hoard stuff without limit (after a while they don't have room to in which to drop the items, so discarded clothes remain owned, but remaining where they were dropped when the dorf decided to upgrade).

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:07:15 pm »

It depends on the personality of the dwarf. Some will wear many crafts. Some will never take one. I've seen dwarves with three crowns or amulets. There is hardly a cap on how many items they can wear.

Maybe something similar is going on with clothes. Sometimes they keep their old stuff. Sometimes they dump it and the owner tag is gone when they get something new. It could have to do with their preferences.

The thing might be a bit buggy too. Sometimes dwarves walk around for years with a desire for crafts before they finally act and take all your masterwork golden crafts at once.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 08:41:00 pm »

So i went to make all kinds of wooden and stone crafts to sell in trade depot, some of those include crown, scepters, and rings. I noticed that some dwarves would nab this and claim the item as their own. How does this actually work? Would i be able to sell these items that have been claimed by the dwarves? How much items would they continue to hoard?

Dwarves performing a "Store item in stockpile" job on an eligible craft will occasionally "acquire" the object instead of storing it. Some acquired objects can be worn (rings, amulets, bracelets, earrings, crowns), a few can be carried (scepters), while others (figurines, large gems) will just be stashed in their rooms (if chest/floor space is available) or left wherever.

Owned items may not be traded or dumped. Dwarves may continue to acquire items beyond any practical limit (the wiki suggests 220 rings can be worn, which, at a rate of 1 per season, would take 55 game-years to amass). You can easily prevent item acquirement by not storing acquirable items in stockpiles. Conversely, you can encourage item acquirement by creating two or more large, binless craft stockpiles and arranging for them to "give" to each other. Such an arrangement can be fully automated with minecarts to encourage dwarves to select trinkets on a periodic schedule. Note, however, that dwarves who never perform item hauling jobs (because of labors, burrows, other duties, etc.) will not be able to acquire trinkets.

I guess this is something similar with clothing? How does that work too?

Clothing is a different, older system. Dwarves will drop articles of clothing and perform a "Pickup equipment" job whenever they feel their wardrobe is lacking. They may later perform a "Store owned item" job on clothing they dropped, limited by the amount of cabinet/floor space in their rooms.

Ownership will expire in about a month for items that are neither worn/carried by owners nor *unforbidden* inside their rooms. You can "reclaim" stored owned items in vanilla by forbidding them and waiting a month. In older versions, the value of owned objects provided a passive "happiness" boost; it isn't yet known whether they provide a similar benefit in the current stress system.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 02:40:25 am »

Ownership will expire in about a month for items that are neither worn/carried by owners nor *unforbidden* inside their rooms. You can "reclaim" stored owned items in vanilla by forbidding them and waiting a month. In older versions, the value of owned objects provided a passive "happiness" boost; it isn't yet known whether they provide a similar benefit in the current stress system.
Oh, wow! I did not know that.  Very useful.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 08:31:25 am »

Even better. Just mark all contents in their rooms to "dump". In one month or one season these rooms will be emptied and you will have stockpile with all their contents without any ownership. It works even on contents of chests, bags and cabinets.