Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]  (Read 56353 times)

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2019, 06:10:10 am »

I've given it some thought, and have a few more suggestions. I'll divide this post into two sections - the first part will cover general ideas that could cover all spheres and improve the way sphere-related effects are classified, while the second part will cover the spheres themselves.

Part 1 - General Comments

Triggers
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Weather

Curses

----------------------------------------
And now the spheres.

Metal

Wealth

war

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2019, 08:10:24 am »

I've given it some thought, and have a few more suggestions. I'll divide this post into two sections - the first part will cover general ideas that could cover all spheres and improve the way sphere-related effects are classified, while the second part will cover the spheres themselves.

Part 1 - General Comments

Triggers

Weather

Curses

----------------------------------------
And now the spheres.

Metal

Wealth

war

I like your ideas on this! I was thinking about 'triggers' myself, but in a slightly different fashion - as the rituals required to 'hold' said magic (perhaps to literally hold it if it is a force, or just things that would appease the relevant deity). We actually know from the mythgen previews that both what you mentioned (environment affecting magic) and what I mentioned (rituals being required to manipulate magic) will likely be a thing - in the mythgen, certain magical acts required being done under stars, while most of the spells generated by the thing required some relevant ritual (e.g. throwing 'black dice' to manipulate a force of darkness sorcery). In actuality, I think both your idea and mine would fall into the same vague category of 'magic-enhancers' - in other words, possibly non-magical environmental aspects that would strengthen/diminish the effectiveness of a certain sphere. I agree that it could be useful to list them for certain spheres, where the connections are very obvious (e.g. sacrifice-sphere magic frequently requiring actual sacrifices, or 'sky'-sphere magic being affected by whether you're under the open sky or in some cavern).

I also agree that it would be better to split off weather as it's own category in cases where the ''environment' category is too large and unwieldy, though for smaller entries it's probably more convenient to just bundle them together. I haven't thought of that before. I don't really think curses need their own category, though, as they would almost always fall under the existing 'spell effects' category. All in all, however, good suggestions. I'll take a look at your sphere suggestions, as well, as soon as I'm done doing something else IRL.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:26:26 am by Hapchazzard »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:37:32 am »

I feel like I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thread. :P

Darkness

Here's another suggestion from myself (I will post my own suggestions as well, to better keep track of the chronology of posts and so that people don't get confused if I just add something to the OP without warning):

Dreams

I don't really think curses need their own category, though, as they would almost always fall under the existing 'spell effects' category.

Curses could also fall into the "bad" creature effect territory. Either way, it should be up to the game to decide which spells and effects are bad enough to count as curses. Some kind of system for deciding whether an effect is positive or negative will be obligatory for all other magic users (be they wizards, magical beasts, or even biomes), so casters of curses shouldn't be any special in this aspect.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2019, 02:11:04 pm »

I feel like I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this thread. :P

Darkness

Here's another suggestion from myself (I will post my own suggestions as well, to better keep track of the chronology of posts and so that people don't get confused if I just add something to the OP without warning):

Dreams

I don't really think curses need their own category, though, as they would almost always fall under the existing 'spell effects' category.

Curses could also fall into the "bad" creature effect territory. Either way, it should be up to the game to decide which spells and effects are bad enough to count as curses. Some kind of system for deciding whether an effect is positive or negative will be obligatory for all other magic users (be they wizards, magical beasts, or even biomes), so casters of curses shouldn't be any special in this aspect.

Good suggestions, adding them to the OP. I agree with your remark about the curses - they're just particular variant of the more general 'sphere effects' category, i.e. effects that last indeterminately and are difficult/impossible to lift. Same goes for blessings, which are just positive effects granted by a higher power, but also pulled from the general pool of effects. It would be redundant to list them as a separate category 90% of the time.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2019, 02:33:10 pm »

Here's another from me.

Plants

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 11:38:04 am by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

thompson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2019, 03:43:20 pm »

Here's another from me.

Plants

Small comment on plants: Roots could also extend deeper, down to the magma sea. Trunks could extend several hundred z levels up, possibly with small islands in the branches.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2019, 04:06:22 pm »

I like it. Hope you don't mind that I added them to the original post. :)
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 07:48:06 am »

Ooh, ok. I think I'll try tackling one

Agriculture

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2019, 09:43:10 am »

Will update the OP soon, had some IRL things to take care of. Good suggestions so far!

EDIT: Voliol - I sort of agree. I'd keep the innate fertility bonuses in the 'environment' sphere, so agriculture-heavy areas should still be fertile and overgrown with crops. Similarly, I'd give higher-level agriculture areas the ability to gradually transform the local plantlife into more agri-friendly forms by raising the agriculture level of the plants themselves (but only up to a certain point). So the plantlife (and probably fauna) of an agriculture-heavy area would, long-term, be transformed into more useful forms - poisonous plants losing their toxicity, thorny plants losing thorns, non-fruiting plants starting to produce fruit, weeds getting huge maluses when trying to grow in the area, etc. So, I'd put it as:

EDIT2: Remark on the 'plant' sphere - I think that all of the effects that were put in the 'plant effects' category should be moved into the 'environmental effects' category. It doesn't really make sense for actual plants to have varying levels of the plant sphere, since they're all inherently... well, plants.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 10:48:45 am by Hapchazzard »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2019, 10:53:25 am »

Alright ill have a go

MUCK

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2019, 11:24:22 am »

PART III: SPHERES G TO M

Justice

Light:

Longevity

Metal

Moon:

Muck
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 04:34:23 pm by Hapchazzard »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2019, 12:15:29 pm »

Boundaries

Just a tiny problem - I've hit the maximum message length in the OP. It's not really a big deal, I'm sure there are alternative ways to store it without losing the clean formatting. Anyone have any specific suggestions? An attached text file is an obvious choice, but wouldn't look pretty ::) . Google Docs, maybe?

Edit that comment ^ into a second page, and link to it in the first one. I find having it all on the forum keeps the interest up as opposed to having to open another site. Also the forum is pretty :)

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »

Boundaries

Just a tiny problem - I've hit the maximum message length in the OP. It's not really a big deal, I'm sure there are alternative ways to store it without losing the clean formatting. Anyone have any specific suggestions? An attached text file is an obvious choice, but wouldn't look pretty ::) . Google Docs, maybe?

Edit that comment ^ into a second page, and link to it in the first one. I find having it all on the forum keeps the interest up as opposed to having to open another site. Also the forum is pretty :)

Yeah, that's why I was a bit hesitant to immediately move off-forum. Haven't thought of that, will do it now.

Mort Stroodle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2019, 01:35:11 pm »

I've always gotten an enormous kick out of the idea of magic associated with the Pregnancy sphere, especially with the community's well-known frustration with dwarven children and catsplosions.
Pregnancy

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 01:54:57 pm by Mort Stroodle »

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2019, 07:44:06 pm »

PART IV: N TO Z

Nightmares

Plants