Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]  (Read 56350 times)

Unknown72

• Bay Watcher
  • Undead Enthusiast, at your service.
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2019, 02:16:28 pm »

Just a suggestion but maybe add stipulations on whether the effect/biome is Good, Evil or Neutral. As, for example, an Evil Agriculture sphere would have rose thorns become more dangerous and poisonous plants become more poisonous, Neutral would have plants grow faster and have higher harvest yields, and Good would have thorns go away, poisonous plants become less dangerous, etc etc
You guys ought to fix Unknown72's turn to some point later in the order. Maybe after Sanctume. Normally that's what happens when someone fesses up to having real life going up like a storm of explosive diarrhoea blasted into a fan.

@me on Discord: Multi#0897

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2019, 03:41:28 pm »

I just wanted to add that I like the idea of things like coins, gems, or gold/silver dust raining from the sky, but since it's magical and would royally disrupt economies in the long run if you could just cart infinite gold from some region I think it would be helpful if that Wealth transmuted into lead or something once it's removed from the sphere of WEALTH magic.

I think transmutation is a good idea. In a wealth area, fruits would turn into gems and coins (and not be edible anymore), but rot and become mouldy the moment they leave the area. Water could be very expensive wine that get's sour when leaving. I think the food ascpect of wealth should not be overlooked. Basically turning an area into the land of milk and honey.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2019, 11:28:58 pm »

Just a suggestion but maybe add stipulations on whether the effect/biome is Good, Evil or Neutral. As, for example, an Evil Agriculture sphere would have rose thorns become more dangerous and poisonous plants become more poisonous, Neutral would have plants grow faster and have higher harvest yields, and Good would have thorns go away, poisonous plants become less dangerous, etc etc
I believe Toady mentioned that Good and Evil biomes are likely to be replaced entirely with this new system. Besides, savage unicorns with deadly horns live in Good biomes right now, would it make sense for plants there not to have thorns?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2019, 02:06:01 pm »

The Good/Evil (and possibly Benign/Savage) systems have been stated to be planned for removal. However, many of these Spheres fall in line with what the Good/Evil biomes already represent, like the DEATH, DISEASE and NIGHTMARES spheres, that are already being used for evil regions in the upcoming version. And the Good spheres are ones like Wealth and...

Peace:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

alexsa2015sa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2019, 11:47:37 am »

There are many speheres already existing: Fire, Weather, Water, but - a horrible omission - Dwarf Fortress currently features no Cold, Snow, Frost or indeed any halfway Winter-relevant sphere. It is terrible. What gives people? Everyone's outside places where winter is cold? :)

It's certainly an oversight if I saw one. For simplicity's sake, I've labeled the non-existent sphere Cold. (because it's wider than most other synonyms) With that in mind, and reminding that Cold doesn't exist as of 44.12:

Cold

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 29, 2019, 02:03:18 pm »

Does DF really not have a "Cold" sphere? Well then yeah +1 to adding one for sure.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 14, 2019, 10:41:34 am »

Alright, I've let this thread wither for way too long. I've updated the list with some of the suggestions presented since my absence. Here's a new one:

Wisdom

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 01, 2019, 10:24:49 pm »

So you've mentioned rituals/sources, but a lot of spheres don't have any listed yet.  Have some more.  These sources/requirements/rituals could be required at time of casting, or required to charge a mana bar (with a procedurally generated name for magical energy instead of just calling it mana of course) for a given class of spells, or some combination of the two.

So to give some examples with the current spheres:

Agriculture:
  • Edible crops offered as a sacrifice/reagent
  • Farm plots as a required location

Animals
  • Sacrifice an animal, use an animal as a reagent
  • Specific biomes required as a location for spells that involve animals native to that biome

Art
  • Creating a work of art as a means of casting
  • Sacrificing a work of art or using a work of art as a reagent

Beauty
  • A certain level of beauty as a casting requirement
  • Giving up beauty as a sacrifice
  • Being in a beautiful location

Blight/Disease
  • Giving a sickness to a sacrifice/yourself
  • Being sick

Boundaries
  • Being at a wall/gate/doorways
  • Being at the border of two biomes

Dream:
  • Being asleep
  • Sleeping longer/extra

Fire:
  • Burn fuel
  • Burn an enemy
  • Sacrifice an animal in flame
  • Volcanoes/magma filled tiles as a required nearby

Light:
  • Staying out in the sunlight during clear weather
  • Glass objects to focus sunlight

Poetry:
  • Reciting poems to cast/charge spells
  • Sacrificing a written object containing poetry

Water
  • Being located near a large body of water
  • A water-skin or bucket of water as a reagent or catalyst

Wealth
  • Sacrificing valuable gems/items
  • Using valuable gems/items as a foci (not permanetly consumed)
  • Being at a location surrounded by wealth (i.e. valuable furniture)

I could also see spells with effects in one sphere and sources/requirements from another sphere (procedural generating a mix and match of various effects and requirements).  A fire necromancer who burns charcoal fuel to animate fiery undead for example (Fire and Death).  A druid sort of magic user that goes around blessing crop outputs but requires animal sacrifices (Agriculture and Animals).  The wiki list parent/child spheres and precluded spheres and this could be used as a cue and/or restriction in the procedural generation.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 04, 2019, 11:41:38 pm »

Have two more spheres:

Trickery

Healing

- Won.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2019, 12:45:15 pm »

MoreTrickery

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2019, 01:53:39 pm »

I'm a noob and just brainstorming this.

Magnetic Charged Metal Manipulation
ORDER, LAWS, CREATION, METALS, LIGHTNING

Basically a rail gun. 

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2020, 11:49:54 am »

If this is a necro post, then my apologies; I really can't tell whether this is alive or dead.

Anyway, I noticed that nobody seems to have mentioned the Salt sphere. It wouldn't do much IMO, but here's some stuff I thought of:
All right, all right, that's a little more than "not much". Salt-dependent dwarves would be highly interesting (or !!FUN!!) since they also have alcohol dependency. Sorry if this is too much; if it's outlandish, just tell me.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2020, 12:07:12 pm »

Am I doing too much? If so... sorry.
I didn't see the Travelers sphere mentioned; here's some stuff I thought of:

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2020, 01:49:15 pm »

If this is a necro post, then my apologies; I really can't tell whether this is alive or dead.

I think the preferred policy in the suggestions forum is too resurrect old threads instead of starting new ones that are similar so that suggestions get compiled in places were Toady or Threetoe could access and sort through them easily.  So it's actually a good thing that you continued this thread instead of starting a new one.  Hopefully the OP will update the first post with all the new sphere listed...

Most of your suggestions for salt will require improved flavoring/food preferences, which might be out of the scope of the Myth and Magic arc... then again, working on bees led Toady to implement the clay industry and the wax industry, so I wouldn't rule it out.
A few more for Salt:

A few more for Travel:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 01:50:57 pm by Scruiser »

- Won.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2020, 01:57:42 pm »

Necro-posts are the preferred policy, you say? Then here, have something for Rain!
And Volcanos, why not (no, the sphere name in DF is not spelled "volcanoes" for reasons only Toady is likely to know).
For Jewels:
For Silence:
Some stuff I thought of for Duty.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:14:41 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10