Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]  (Read 56370 times)

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:MODDING:2]
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2020, 02:15:32 pm »

have one space character
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:12:06 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2020, 02:42:16 pm »

have one space character (trying to make as empty as possible to not obstruct reading)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:13:01 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2020, 02:56:21 pm »

have one space character,
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:13:49 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2020, 03:15:54 pm »

have one space character, here you are
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:14:07 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 15, 2020, 04:07:37 pm »

If you have additional things to add but no one else has posted since your last post, I think it is preferred to modify your existing posts as opposed to adding more posts.  It makes the forums easier to read.  I am not sure if there is an option that automatically merges your post, otherwise you could just modify the oldest and use insert quote to get them all together into one post...
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2020, 04:10:28 pm »

Ah. Sorry about that! I'll be right on it. However, I cannot delete posts; someone else will have to do that. For now, I'll just make them as empty as possible.

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2020, 08:56:46 am »

I decided to try my hand at fortresses. Since it's friendly with war, that is the offensive part, I decided to imagine it as a mostly defensive set. It would be easier to build a fortress is such an environement, but it's safe to say it's justified.

N.B. Intruders, in that case means "Anyone not from the biome, and uninvited".

"Invited" creatures include:
-Natives of the biome
-Strangers coming in to build a fortress
-Creatures with an affinity with fortresses
-Strangers invited by natives (i.e. caravans, migrants...)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 02:51:24 pm by towerator »

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 16, 2020, 10:08:20 am »

Bless stone-related workshop: Its reactions become more efficient (i.e. 1 stone => 3 blocks), faster, of higher quality...
The reaction to make stone blocks makes four stone blocks at present. Just a heads-up.

Some things I thought of for Mountains.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:21:01 am by IncompetentFortressMaker »

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2020, 10:43:10 am »

Given Toady's typical approach to things, it occurred to me that there are spells/interaction templates that might get used across multiple spheres, with key features that get swapped out with relevant sphere materials/effects.

For instance

Summon a Creature made of [SPHERE] material and a few SPHERE related abilities.   So for Jewels it is a gem golem, Salt it is a Salt golem, Rain/River/Oceans/Lakes a Water Elemental (made of different varieties of water), Storms/Lightening/Thunder an electricity elemental, Fire/Volcanoes a fire or magma Elemental, Earth/Mountains an earth golem/elemental, Plants/Trees a plant elemental, Wind is an air elemental, Disease/Blight/Deformity is a diseased blob of pus and flesh, Metal is a metal golem etc.

Blast of raw [SPHERE] energy/material.  Jewel a chunk of uncut gem, Salt it is a chunk of salt, Rain/River/Oceans/Lakes is a blast of water, Storms/Lightening/Thunder a lightening bolt, Fire/Volcanoes is fire or magma globs, Earth/Mountains a stone, Plants/Trees a bolt of wood, Light/Sun/Rainbows is a beam of light, Wind a blast of air, Disease/Blight/Deformity a blob of diseased flesh, Metal a bolt of metal, etc.

Inspire an emotion or change in personality related to [SPHERE], this could be used by priest to proselytize, Nature inspires awe of nature, Rain makes the target not mind the rain, Scholarship/Wisdom makes them more inclined to abstract thought, Creation/Art makes them more art inclined, War increases need for use of martial skill and excitement from combat, etc.

Boost skill related to [SPHERE] (either as a spell or environmental effect).  Creation boosts skills that create a goods from raw materials. Art/Beauty boost skills that engrave, encrust, decorate with.  Crafts boosts skill at making crafts.  Metals boosts the skill making objects crafted from metals.  War boosts the skill at making weapons and combat skills.  Dance boosts the effects of dances. Trickery boosts skill at lying.  Justice boost the skill of interrogators.  Agriculture increases farming skill.  Scholarship/Wisdom boost chance at research breakthroughs.  Etc.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

IncompetentFortressMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2020, 10:49:10 am »

Mentioning Thunder:
For Thralldom:
Treachery is, well, treacherous:
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 12:18:56 pm by IncompetentFortressMaker »

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 16, 2020, 02:54:44 pm »

The reaction to make stone blocks makes four stone blocks at present. Just a heads-up.

Whoops, fixed.

Other than that, I didn't have many ideas for the 2 last categories, feel free to tell.

TieflingHalfling

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 25, 2020, 08:15:05 pm »

This is my first ever post so sorry if my formatting is a little off  :)

Jealousy
Spell effects:
 * Create a facsimile of an object that you desire, probably just an artifact or named item, it most likely wouldn't have the powers of the item in question, just be a copy
* Change someone's relationships in relation to the caster, for example: Urist McJealous is Jealous of Urist McUrist's Friends, and uses the spell to make one of those people his friend?
* Take an object that the caster covets from another person, like, magically teleport Urist McUrist's gold ring because you like it
* Destroy the object of your Jealousy, or change it for the worse (If the caster is Jealous of Cog's husband, then said husband would become sickly, or less attractive?)
* Inspire feelings of Jealousy in another person, or in a lesser variant, heighten any Jealousy that's present
Environmental Effects:
at LOW levels:
* Creatures in the area are slightly more Jealous
* Feelings of Jealousy are slightly heightened
* Objects in the area have a slight chance to be "Oddly alluring" (These objects are simply more coveted or desirable, even if they aren't really special)
at MEDIUM levels:
* Creatures in the area are more likely to be Jealous
* Feelings of Jealousy are heightened in the area
* Objects in the area have a chance to be "Very alluring"
at HIGH levels:
* Creatures in the area are usually Jealous
* Feelings of Jealousy are very heightened in the area
* Objects have a chance to be "Almost Irresistible"
* Very Jealous creatures may kill or harm others to get the object they covet, or if they can't have it, destroy it
at EXTREME levels:
* Creatures in the area are always Jealous
* Feelings of Jealousy are almost unimaginable
* Objects are at least "Oddly Alluring" and at most "Highly Irresistible"
* Jealous creatures will always act on their feelings
Plant Effects:
at LOW levels:
* Fruits appear "Oddly alluring" but they are less nourishing than usual
at MEDIUM levels:
* Fruits appear "Very Alluring" but have almost no nourishing effect
at HIGH Levels:
* Fruits appear "Almost irresistible" and make anyone who eats them nauseous
at EXTREME Levels: 
* Fruits appear "Highly Irresistible" and eating them can prove fatal
Object Effects:
at LOW levels:
* The object becomes slightly less useful
* The object is slightly more desirable to those who have touched it
* The object is slightly more likely to be killed for/stolen/claimed by those who have touched it in the past
* The object may slightly exacerbate feelings of Jealousy in creatures which hold it
* Creatures who have not touched it but are Jealous are slightly more likely to congregate near it
at MEDIUM levels:
* The object becomes noticeably less useful
* The object is noticeably more desirable to those who have been near it
* The object is noticeably more likely to be killed for/stolen/claimed by creatures who have been near it
* The object noticeably exacerbates feelings of Jealousy in creatures which hold it
* Creatures who have not been near it but are Jealous are noticeably more likely to congregate near it
at HIGH levels:
* The object is very much less useful
* The object is very desirable to those who have seen it
* The object is very likely to be killed for/stolen/claimed by creatures who have seen it
* The object makes creatures which hold it very Jealous
* Creatures who have not seen it but are Jealous are very likely to congregate near it
at EXTREME levels:
* The object is useless
* The object is extremely desirable to those who even hear of it
* The object is extremely likely to be killed for/stolen/claimed by creatures who hear of it
* The object makes anyone who holds it extremely Jealous
* Creatures who have not heard of it but are Jealous are extremely likely to congregate near it
I hope Y'all like these! if you have any tweaks or recommendations I'd love to hear them!
Urist Nizdast: "Elves can't be that bad.... right?"

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2020, 07:25:36 am »

Some more Jealousy:
and Thunder:
(without strengths are those are difficult/time-consuming to format)

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2021, 07:27:31 am »

Reposting my reply from Future of the Fortress here, because this thread is really cool and should definitely be a part of the future system.

It's made me think about another idea - customizably linking spheres to create new groupings. This would offer more control over primal forces and their respective deities, realms, worldly manifestations, creatures, schools of magic, religions, and their followers' motivations. Connecting these groupings to particular DF personality traits would also offer additional control.

Here's a Warcraft example overlaid on the DF spheres:

For example, If I want to group some spheres to match the Warcraft order of "Light", I'd connect Light, Fire, Healing, Justice, Valor, Courage, Duty, Discipline, Loyalty, Oaths, Charity, Generosity, etc. If I want a touch of zealotry, I could add Torture.
The opposing grouping of Shadow would include Darkness, Night, Nightmares, Trickery, Lies, Jealousy, Misery, Torture, Revenge, Theft, Lust, Depravity, Rumors, Thralldom, Caverns (and the Forgotten Beasts inside of them, presumably), etc. As the vast majority of spheres within the Light and Shadow groupings would oppose each other, so would the forces, deities, magics, and individual followers of the groupings. The individual followers would also oppose each other because their respective groupings' associated custom personality traits would also often clash.

It would make sense for these custom groupings/linkages to function on some additional level above the spheres, which would allow for overlap between different groupings - such as two custom groupings sharing the same sphere. Also, being able to select one or a few certain spheres as the absolute most important within the grouping - for example, with Light it could be: Light, Sacrifice, Justice, Valor. Same goes for one or a few key personality traits that followers would possess or aspire towards.

The followers of the Light grouping/deities would use fiery, light-based attacks and healing spells. They'd be associated with DF personality traits such as LAW, LOYALTY, FAIRNESS, SELF_CONTROL, SACRIFICE, PERSEVERANCE, HARMONY, TRUTH, Low CUNNING, and they'd worship and follow the spheres associated with Light.
The followers of the Shadow grouping/deities would use magical attacks based on darkness, madness, Forgotten Beasts, and abusing people's worst personality traits. They'd often have DF personality traits such as POWER, CUNNING, Low MERRIMENT, Low SACRIFICE, Low SELF_CONTROL, Low FAIRNESS, Low TRUTH, Low FAMILY, Low LOYALTY, Low FRIENDSHIP, and they'd worship and follow the spheres associated with Shadow.

What might potentially get confusing is if two opposing spheres are put under the same grouping. For example: a grouping that includes both Death and Healing, or both Revenge and Forgiveness. Would a user of both magics have them contradict each other, or would they complement and strengthen each other?

I could go on, but suffice it to say that such additional control would be incredible, and I think it would make a lot of sense for organizing sphere magic.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 01:16:59 pm by leastannoyingman »

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2022, 01:32:00 pm »

Idea: Some domains have spells similar to those in their opposing domains. Life and Death is an easy example - Life can have healing spells, but you can just as easily fill something with life energy as take life energy out of something. Death and Life may both have spells about draining the life out of someone. The descriptions may be different, but they're ultimately manipulating extremely similar (if not the same) energies, if in different ways.

There are also other things that could do this - light and dark, law and chaos, etc. Just so long as they're directly opposed ends of the same spectrum
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10