Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]  (Read 56345 times)

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sphere magic and associated effects [community suggestions]
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2022, 12:57:29 pm »

One idea that I have comes from Steven Eriksons Malazan series. The magic system there has warrens which are similar to speres and used by magic users to draw energy from. The warrens there are also worlds of their own though. Magic users can travel into warrens they have a connection with. They can travel from the main world to a warren and then back to the main world but in a different location, as distances in a warren can be shorter than in the main world. Like in Minecraft, where 1 step in the Nether is like 8 steps in the main world. And some of the warrens are ruled by gods or inhabited by creatures. Also some of the species in the world come from a warren and can naturally draw energy from their home warrens.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 23, 2022, 04:01:05 am »

The OP has been absent for over 2 years, so this thread is a huge mess. But it is an interesting mess. I am giving it another chance to shine. Here is the list of all the sphere magics that have been defined, and a list for those which haven't under it. It has to be written in multiple posts; these are very long, even trying to fit in all spheres starting with C in one post will easily exceed 40.000 character limit.

I will only add a suggestion on the list if it can be considered complete. Oppression of the character limit is strong with this listing, and I want to keep the lists as tidied as possible.

The bare minimum amount of feature categories for a sphere to be offically added to the list is three.

The list is subject to change. Please stand by...

A
B
C
D
F
H
J
L
M
N
P
R
S
T
V
W

And finally, here is the list of spheres which still havent been expanded upon, either not at all, or not fully made enough to be included on the list:
There are links the spheres which are partially fleshed out, for those who feel lazy or cannot power up their engines without some kickstarting inspiration.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Take your pick!
« Last Edit: October 02, 2023, 05:44:59 pm by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 23, 2022, 04:02:59 am »

A

Agriculture

Animals

Art
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 06:44:55 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 23, 2022, 04:05:20 am »

B

Balance

Beauty:

Birth

Blight

Boundaries
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:20:46 am by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 23, 2022, 04:07:44 am »

C

Chaos

Cold (Fanmade. Does not exists in vanilla DF, as of version 0.50.05)
    [/list]
    « Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 06:59:42 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #110 on: May 23, 2022, 04:13:19 am »

D

Darkness

Deformity

Disease

Dreams
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:01:53 am by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #111 on: May 23, 2022, 04:22:12 am »

F

Fire

Fortresses
    « Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 07:05:56 am by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #112 on: May 23, 2022, 07:48:31 am »

Great work! Have some
    Jewels
    !

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
      • Website
    « Reply #114 on: May 26, 2022, 02:14:41 pm »

Part 2:
    Jewels

Edit: You seem to have missed some on the last page, such as Thunder, Thralldom, and Mountains. Or maybe it’s just the formatting taking a while/being a pain, both that and the miss I understand fully.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
    • *Remain calm*
      • View Profile
    « Reply #115 on: May 26, 2022, 02:22:35 pm »

One thing that's been maddening for a while is the lack of effect cold has on objects and creatures. I would like to see a proper frost bite effect that doesn't end with the affected creature or object just ceasing to exist or whatever weird thing actually goes on when you hit that "you are freezing!" state. A way to stifle flames/halt the process of being incinerated and a frost bite effect and way to halt freezing to death would be nice.

Earth as a sphere, I would like to see interactions that can alter terrain, say create holes or walls, kinda like digging with magic, or creating impassable or dangerous terrain tiles, and hit people with columns of rock. Right now the earth spells I can make with the current system are a stoneskin spell that buffs toughness and material resistance and throwing rocks at people.

Being able to throw sharp objects, not just blunt ones, or actually lethally throw items instead of clouds that land on the ground like leaves would be Hella rad.
    I make Spellcrafts!
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #116 on: May 27, 2022, 02:21:21 pm »

Edit: You seem to have missed some on the last page, such as Thunder, Thralldom, and Mountains. Or maybe it’s just the formatting taking a while/being a pain, both that and the miss I understand fully.

I did saw them. But I purposefully didn't add them.

Because I am evil.  they are incomplete and are subject to getting longer. Formatting this list is a bit tricky, and if I just let an incomplete sphere in and keep updating it, the 40.000 character limit may get breached. That will mean something would have to be moved out of its current place, and cause an avalanche when it also hits a limit somewhere else and something else must be moved too. And on, and on, and on. I already experienced it a dozen times when I first made this comprehesive list.

I will only add a sphere that is considered complete. Otherwise this list will turn into a mess.

I will add your things to the jewels section.
    « Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:20:57 pm by Magmacube_tr »

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Bjorn

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #117 on: June 02, 2022, 08:18:01 am »

As a plant effect for the sphere of poetry I'd make it that people who eat the plant become inspired. You could make it more inspired by the level of the magic, going from "is inspired" to "speaks only in verses". You could also add as an environmental factor that the water gives the same effects, which is a theme in mythology that I like a lot.

Hapchazzard

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #118 on: July 10, 2022, 02:03:47 pm »

The OP has been absent for over 2 years, so this thread is a huge mess. But it is an interesting mess. I am giving it another chance to shine. Here is the list of all the sphere magics that have been defined, and a list for those which haven't under it. It has to be written in multiple posts; these are very long, even trying to fit in all spheres starting with C in one post will easily exceed 40.000 character limit.

Just want to jump in and thank you for doing this! Interest petered out back in the day and eventually DF sort of faded from my own interests as well, but I'm grateful that someone picked up the banner and continued the work being done here. Will link your post in the OP as the more up to date version of the list.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #119 on: July 12, 2022, 06:27:06 am »

Just want to jump in and thank you for doing this! Interest petered out back in the day and eventually DF sort of faded from my own interests as well, but I'm grateful that someone picked up the banner and continued the work being done here. Will link your post in the OP as the more up to date version of the list.

No prob bob.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10