Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Clusterfuck: The Game  (Read 9170 times)

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clusterfuck: The Game
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 10:45:08 am »

I forgot how superstitious de DF community is LOL
But I do remember once I was playing at work and a colleague asked if it was too hard and I told him no, less than 30 minutes later my dwarves almost died of thirst, I just barely saw there was no more drink and found water LOL

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2019, 12:01:16 pm »

A hospital is next, got it! It won't help with containing an inevitable werechinchilla plague, but there's no reason why not to build it. I think we even have spare beds.

Regarding military training, labor is the most precious resource right now, more valuable than safety.

---

The very first day of summer I've announced that we're not planting cave wheat. With no sheep, llamas or other respectable livestock, we're forced to base our entire textile industry on plant cloth. Crying shame, but what can you do?

At least we can't complain about the lack of ore and coal. Too bad there's no iron or even copper to make tools and weapons from. That doesn't mean we can't designate a place to store all those resources.

Speaking of metal, I ordered to make some trinkets in case someone decides to come and visit this town. They will then wander through the praerie, telling everyone they meet there's gold in them hills. We'll have folks coming from all over the world. No doubt some varmints will come see our riches too...

People keep complaining about the lack of meat in our diet, and look what happened: meat conveniently came to us. Ten langurs is the biggest threat to our fortress so far, and if we can't defend what's ours against monkeys, we're definitely doomed.

Bringing down the horde of varmints was a collective effort. We're not equipped for battle, but we didn't need to be this time.

We did lose a quite important thing to the monkeys though. One of those furry little bastards took the zinc cone hat that was apparently someone's family heirloom or something.

Not many people had realized, but I've been expecting a child until recently. Litast Icywound is the fourth child I've brought upon this cold, unforgiving, monkey-filled world. I've got some cold stares for that, probably because now half of the fort's population is children. They're all jealous that I have four children at the age of twenty one, and those geezers all have one or none. Folks just are like that.

Finally! It's not a huge migration wave, but it's something. We've got three farmers and two fishery workers. With them came three kids, a baby alpaca, a cavy, a goose, and a mule.

I had the miners dig deeper. Within a layer of marble are veins of malachine, as far as I know it's an ore of copper. Even deeper were veins of galena, a source of lead and silver. We can now make proper weapons and armor, although I'd rather have solid iron. If we're feeling fancy, we can also make brass and electrum with things we have access to.

One of the tykes turned twelve today. I don't really know her parents that well, but she's Khalari's niece. Zutthan is... a very average dwarf, truth be said. She expressed a will to join the militia, and who am I to deny her that 'honor'.

It's now the first day of autumn, and the only thing to do in the new hospital is placing the traction benches where they belong. We have more gypsum that we know what to do with, so once we get the kilns, we'll have no need for splints.

---

Another short update, but there really isn't anything remotely important happening. I can't do a whole lot with how the fort is right now.

I continued to place basic facilities that I usually have in place by the end of the first year. The migrant wave was really underwhelming, but it's something.

We've got some useful metals deeper underground, so we can make our own weapons. We'll have to import iron and steel if we want really quality armor though.

The monkey incident was unfortunate, but it's a great lesson why you shouldn't put all stockpiles together just by the entrance. Just a month later, and the zinc cap would have been moved to a safer stockpile where monkeys wouldn't have stolen it.

I'm not used to a two and a half year old fort looking and "functioning" like that. I don't want to sound like I'm whining or anything, because everyone has their own style, but whatever was in place at the start of my turn made it actually harder to get anything going. I'm not really having much fun with this one, so I may just finish early if that's okay with everyone.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2019, 12:24:02 pm »

Whatever you like

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2019, 02:12:10 pm »

Fine. As you wish.

The stolen heirloom made me laugh tho.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2019, 06:46:53 pm »

So, there is now a monkey in the wilderness wearing a priceless, gnome-style zinc hat. I'm pretty sure he's the monkey god now.

It's always a good sign when a succession fort is two years old and already starting to drive overseers to irritation. That's how it starts, y'know. Next comes the whispers.

SQman

• Bay Watcher
  • Gnot a gnelf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2019, 12:45:32 pm »

I guess I actually did play for almost a year, considering I started in mid-autumn. I was supposed to make a short overview of the fort, but I'm sure my building style is clear enough for Khalari to figure out quickly.
One piece of advice - link the lever in the tavern to the bridge once it's built.

Here's the save. Handle it with care.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2019, 08:59:42 pm »

Just picked up the save file and there are more than a few questions, though I'll not ask them LOL

Set us up with a proper farm, a seed stockpile near it.

Moved the wood stockpile and carpenter's shops nearer to the outside, since wood comes from there, less travel time for our dwarves.

Making us a tonne of wheelbarrows, we have a lot of wood and those make haul time way shorter.

Merged a few stockpiles into just one, easier to manage the less there are.

Added some Hot Keys to make it easier to navigate the fort.

Since we have sand, will start a glass-making industry soon. Always good trading with glass.

Now that's what I'm talking about, baby!

Oh well, could've been more awesome... Only worth 4800 too.

I'm not ready for you yet!! Come back in a few months, still organizing everything  :'( :'(

We do have a good share of gold items to trade for, however, so that's great! Since we have yet to find any iron, I'm requesting they bring us iron, pig iron and steel next year. I would also enjoy a breeding pair of cats to keep vermin at bay and turkeys, 'cause they're just awesome for a food industry.

These are their demands for next year. Should be easy to make those crafts out of stone and encrust them with our supply of gems.

I cannot, for the life of me, find the source of this miasma. I suspect a piece of meat in the butcher's shop but I see nothing :/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, and a dwarf took the meat and no more miasma, good one!

Bought some plump helmets, a few tools and weapons, couple bins of cloth, some iron, mainly wanted to keep the traders happy so they returned with a tonne of ores and bars for us next year.

Also built a few nest boxes so our goose can lay some tasty eggs.

Hooray! Migrants!

Aaaaand it's 6 children with 4 pretty useless dwarves. Oh my, we are drowning in children. What luck...

Couple of months in and most of the dwarves are hauling items to their stockpiles. The few who aren't, are planting seeds on our farm. This could take a while.

Well, stockpiles set and hauling jobs have slowed down to an acceptable level. Going to bed now, will resume work this weekend. Probably on sunday.

QuQuasar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2019, 11:42:49 pm »

Oh well, could've been more awesome... Only worth 4800 too.
Whoa whoa whoa, what do you mean "could be more valuable"? That's an artifact door. Last time I played dwarf fortress, those were invincible.

Install it at the entrance to one of the caverns along with a spike trap and a lever, and you've the ultimate forgotten beast defense.

ferals

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2019, 10:09:02 am »

Hey, is there a chance to get dorfed without taking a turn? ^^ If so, i'd like either cook/brewer or military sword user.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2019, 03:17:14 pm »

Can we make wheelbarrows for each stockpile to make things go faster?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2019, 08:38:03 pm »

Couldn't really play a lot this weekend, only played for like a month ingame and nothing much happened.

I'll be able to play tomorrow for sure and I'll give you guys an update then.

About the wheelbarrows, I already completed an order for 50 of them earlier today. It'll all be in my report tomorrow. We did get a bunch of masterwork ones though, hooray for our Legendary carpenter.

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2019, 05:28:01 pm »

Our carpenter is getting those masterwork pieces out one after the other :D

Mined out some gems, built a small plot for aboveground plants, cutting a lot of those gems, we definitely should have as much trading power as we need for the next caravan.

Set up a sand collecting area. Nothing really interesting happening yet...

Another artifact, pretty useless, though.

Found the caverns. We do need water, otherwise our hospital is just a dehydration camp LOL

We do have water, praise the miners!

A few serpent men in there, no real threat as of yet. Giant olm corpse, probably killed by those serpent men. Sae a few cave croc corpses, we could try to capture a breeding pair to get a meat industry up and going.

I set up a small reservoir area with a carved fortification directly touching the water so nothing can get through. A miner will now channel on the upper side so the water can get in and I will immediately close a floodgate I set up there so we don't get completely drowned LOL

And the reservoir instantly got completely flooded, the upper corridor is only slowly filling, which gave the miner plenty of time to run away.

Floodgate closed and now I'll just construct a wall right next to it and no building destroyers can get into our well area.

Now I'm building another water area underneath our hospital and digging a huge ass drop so we can have a well access that water.

More migrants have arrived. A bunch of farmers, a tonne of fishery workers, a Pro Hauler, didn't even know those existed, a carpenter and a lot of children as always.

Thieving monkeys... I will set up our military training near our entrance, can't have any more of that.

Stupid monkeys, we will have our revenge MUAHAHAHAHA

Those monkeys have no limits!

Well, I accidentaly breached the water, but I think no one died, so we should be safe.

No mercy.

We're now up to 83 residents so I'm making some extra beds for everyone.

It is the 7th of Felsite, 128 and we're thriving. Our reservoir is filling up, our well is already connected to it. I set up another squad of 10 which will initially train as wrestler and only after that will they get weapons to be trained under the two military dwarves that already exist. All is well.

Archibald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2019, 01:45:24 am »

A zinc hat, a golden crown and now a wheelbarrow. What are those monkeys up to? Also, nice idea with the reservoir of water. I do suggest we expand the military tho. Btw, would a temple and a library be useful?

Khalari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2019, 07:58:11 am »

There are 83 bodies living in the fortress, but 34 of those are children so right now we have 1/5 of the fortress as military.
And 12 skilled soldiers can easily defend against 10 times that number.

What we do need, however, is to wall in our outside animals. Right now, if we're sieged, they'll all get slaughtered   :'(

I'll try to finish my remaining three months, it'll be hard because classes start today again but I think I can do it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 09:00:08 am by Khalari »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6