Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!  (Read 21951 times)

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
Re: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 01:38:47 pm »

Ok, as someone who doesn't really play EU much, is there a reason to make alliance force calls to arms? I mean, when I played as Navarra in CK2 I could get all of France to mobilize for anything and they had the opportunity to reject.. This just feels like I'm going to see the entire roman empire rush into attrition deserts(forests) to help an OPM every other year or so.

Edit: it appears that only applies to attacked allies, so I guess it's not too much worse then the nonsense the AI does for allies in other Paradox games.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 01:47:15 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2019, 08:37:53 pm »

Did they cave to the people who were angry about republican Rome having a single consul position yet?

I remember when they showed that off originally the opinion in the CK2 discord was “Yeah that’s clearly gonna be part of some planned Roman Republic DLC that makes the Republic have special characteristics beyond thegeneric W public system”
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:01 pm »

Did they cave to the people who were angry about republican Rome having a single consul position yet?

I remember when they showed that off originally the opinion in the CK2 discord was “Yeah that’s clearly gonna be part of some planned Roman Republic DLC that makes the Republic have special characteristics beyond thegeneric W public system”
Newer screenshots show a second consul, but not exactly at the same footing as the "main" one.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2019, 10:51:30 pm »

Dont think Ill buy this right away, but interested in following for now.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

RazielReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2019, 02:20:28 am »

It's a fucking technical mess and a shitton of the content is basically reskinned EU: Rome, a game that they could have tried to fix but opted to abandon after an expansion.

The game doesn't even start for a lot of people, it freezes at the end of the first November for me and many others, and the diplomacy and UI are fucking stupid. It's like they learned nothing from CK2, EU4, Stellaris and HoI4. The mana is even more prevalent and important now, and Johan's already being a cunt to people that raised concerns over it by saying "If you don't like mana you're not going to like our future games."

I still remember when he fucking imploded over people complaining about the stupid truce timers in EU4

I don't know what I expected from Paradox, maybe learning from their mistakes ?

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2019, 03:59:28 am »

After a test spin, I had no technical troubles and the resource management is okay. The game feels a bit hollow, however. I guess I expected deeper character interaction from CKII and stuff.

Playing as Syracuse, I conquered all Sicily during the lifetime of the first king. It was kind of underwhelming. Fighting Carthage, they landed a stack of 30k on the island. I had 12k troops, but my vassals came to my aid with 15k. So I was able to win that battle - barely. After that the Carthagian stack retreated and disappeared, I don't know where they went. It never came back, so I sieged the rest of their Sicialian holdings and then just sat on my ass till the war ticker gave the conquered lands to me.

That was a little underwhelming - and all troops I had were archers and light infantry. No idea what to do next. I guess I'll consolidate my holdings and then start thinking about taking Sardinia from Carthage for the iron. Can't build heavy infantry without them and what are greeks without hoplites and pikemen? Maybe I'll try to conquer Italy after that and form Magna Graecia, now that I've formed Sicily.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2019, 09:11:54 pm »

Galan Venutus, Tribal Chief of Taexalia, was a young ambitious Pict with dreams of expanding the lands and wealth claimed by his fellow tribesmen. It wasn't too long after taking power that he eyed his northern neighbor and pounced. With three other clans behind him, Venutus easily absorbed his fairly weak foe.

Separated from the rest of the world by sea or undeveloped land, Galan began sending tribesmen out to settle nearby territories. Once he found himself bordering an actual tribe for once Galan took a look at the political situation. A very large tribe, Votadinia, was beholden to a tribe, if you could call it that, with the single holding of Veluniate bordering Taexalian land. Galan smoothly befriended the Votadinian chief and pounced. With freedom on the line, and good relations with the invaders, the larger tribe sat back as Taexalian charioteers and infantry trampled their oppressors.

However during this brief war Segovax Ursus, Chief of the Urcii, got too big a head and showed his true colors - with a force consisting of 1/3 of the Taexalian army he opted to sit back and watch the war from a distance. A fourth clan rose to prominence as well during this period, somewhat reducing the threat of Ursus disloyalty. Segovax repeatedly demanded changes to laws and "donations" of men and money, and his family was consistently involved in disputes with the other clans. In response Galan replaced all the Ursii with important titles that he could in an attempt to humble the clan. The issues with Ursii only increased in frequency from there, but there wasn't much else Galan was willing to do to them.

When Segovax died at 75 years of age on 3 Aug. 494 he was replaced by Brenwen Ursus, his equally disloyal (sister?). Without an army behind her yet, Galan was able to arrest her and put her to the sword for the crimes of Segovax as well as herself. The next head of the clan was Segovax' daughter Vassura. She had initially been on good terms with the aging Galan, but eventually she too grew too full of herself. Unable to move against her directly, Galan decided to strike out at the rest of the Ursii. He bided his time, securing the loyalties of the other clan chiefs (and a case of gout) before the first wave of purges - those of the family who weren't Vassura and her two sons. During the purge Galan acquired the title 'the Wolf'.

On 25 Dec. 503, having had to deal with consistent disputes involving the Ursii, Galan made the decision to execute the 53 year old chief's sons.

Galan passed away the next September, at peace with himself and the knowledge that while he would be gone, the other clans would outlive the treacherous Ursii.

tl;dr playing a small settled tribe feels closer to CK2 (whereas the larger countries feel more EU-ish) Had fun, would purge a clan again.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2019, 05:41:38 am »

I conquered Sardinia and Corsica (though I need to colonize the tribal parts of it). Now I have iron and heavy infantry, hurrah. I've set my strategic goals as taking over whole Italy and subjugating Carthage, after that is done, I'm finished with the game. Unless something interesting happens.

Two observations:
1) Some of the regions famous for their cavalry, such as Tarentum, have no horses as a resource.... I guess the Tarantine Cavalry became famous by riding sardines, as their region produces fish?

2) I'm not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but most characters don't get married. This reduces heir and official pool a lot. You can only marry your ruler and his children manually. I can't, for example, marry the children of my heir. And they don't seem to get married on their own. 

MCreeper

• Bay Watcher
  • My bus is late
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2019, 10:45:24 am »

It was a while since i seen reviews like that.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 11:00:22 am by MCreeper »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2019, 10:54:53 am »

im going to be honest and say they seem to have released an early access game.

Im sure they'll build it into a decent game, but how much dlc you have to _buy_ to do it is up in the air
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2019, 12:06:41 pm »

people say imperator is pretty good moddable... and i palyed warhammer, skyrim etc mods in ck2... i so hope such total conversions will come out again for this at some point

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2019, 04:17:20 pm »

I'm not going to buy it just yet, but taking from the Rock Paper Shotgun review, the game's about only interesting if you're playing as the titular Rome.

The rest is expectedly shallow, likely DLC fodder.

Good thing I got Anno 1800.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2019, 04:26:10 pm »

I conquered Sardinia and Corsica (though I need to colonize the tribal parts of it). Now I have iron and heavy infantry, hurrah. I've set my strategic goals as taking over whole Italy and subjugating Carthage, after that is done, I'm finished with the game. Unless something interesting happens.

Two observations:
1) Some of the regions famous for their cavalry, such as Tarentum, have no horses as a resource.... I guess the Tarantine Cavalry became famous by riding sardines, as their region produces fish?

2) I'm not sure if it is a feature or a bug, but most characters don't get married. This reduces heir and official pool a lot. You can only marry your ruler and his children manually. I can't, for example, marry the children of my heir. And they don't seem to get married on their own.

Not sure which on #2, but Crusader Kings has/had similar issues with everyone that doesn't hold land.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2019, 06:38:20 pm »

Might be a performance related thing to keep the total character count down. I noticed that unmarried characters would instantly marry when I gave them a job though.

I poached most of my best generals from other nations, and I saw in the roadmap they posted Friday that they're going to make it so you can get full character lists from other countries. It might make getting characters with good ability scores a lot easier.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2019, 07:16:38 pm »

Hope nobody takes this as rude or the wrong way, but honestly I wish people would read tooltips a little more. There's a stat directly related to a character's chance of getting married, and it's raised by things like being employed. Forget what it is, not playing right now, but it's on the character screens. Is there Prominence? Feel like that's it. As for the RPS review, in my personal experience and opinion, that's some backwards bullshit. Rome turns into a paint the world simulator, as do all the other main players, and can become extremely boring. The smaller dudes, even though they might be less fleshed out, feel like there's more political and strategic depth, at least in regards to making sure you keep your shit straight.

Again, all my opinion. Except for the getting married stat thing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11