Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!  (Read 21953 times)

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Imperator: Rome - Paradox in Togas?!
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »

Hope nobody takes this as rude or the wrong way, but honestly I wish people would read tooltips a little more.
I do agree with you to some extent, but there are a lot of things that have tooltips, and it's very easy to miss things that end up being related; the icon for prominence, which is indeed the relevant stat, is a wreath and I doubt anyone would expect that to be the "likelyhood to get married" stat.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2019, 09:11:29 am »

Hope nobody takes this as rude or the wrong way, but honestly I wish people would read tooltips a little more. There's a stat directly related to a character's chance of getting married, and it's raised by things like being employed. Forget what it is, not playing right now, but it's on the character screens. Is there Prominence? Feel like that's it. As for the RPS review, in my personal experience and opinion, that's some backwards bullshit. Rome turns into a paint the world simulator, as do all the other main players, and can become extremely boring. The smaller dudes, even though they might be less fleshed out, feel like there's more political and strategic depth, at least in regards to making sure you keep your shit straight.

Again, all my opinion. Except for the getting married stat thing.

I just completely disagree with the game design wisdom in making the second/third in line to the throne unable to marry and the player unable to do anything about it. Though I guess this is attached to the character management in general being pretty shallow and a disappointment compared to what was in CKII. It is pretty strange considering that in ancient senates personal relationships and old bloodlines were at least as important as in feudal Europe.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2019, 09:48:53 pm »

next DLC might be a deepening of the character / family elements

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2019, 09:57:21 pm »

This feels a lot closer to a cross between EUIV and Vicky 2 than it does CKII. Characters are importanto, but honestly I don't really want them to be that much more fleshed out--I barely look at them as it is.

I'll stand by what I said before in that it does have some blobbing issues--although my current Dacia run has been fairly blob free so far. I feel like diplomacy took a MAJOR step back, the political landscape between nations is excessively barren. I enjoy everything about pops, they can move, die, colonize, and be enslaved--not to mention shift classes. It's interesting, although I would like to see them do a bit MORE than just control taxes, production, and research via numbers. Definitely think warfare is better, keeping generals loyal, clan retinues, and various other improvements make even short wars fun.

I feel like most of what felt off is what other people said in that there's just not a whole lot to do in peace time--it's certainly not Stellaris level boring, but there is a vacuum of mechanics (once I got the hang of it, colonizing the Pannonian Basin and going through the steps to forming Dacia [and eventually becoming a republic] was very easy). TBH though, I feel like Paradox doesn't do internal development well at all--even Vicky 2 was not super satisfying in that regard and its ALL about that. I foresee many changes and additions, but little improvement.

Regarding the overall quality at release, after playing the game without much in the way of expectation (other than woo new PDS game!) I do feel like this has been a good launch. I don't think the small # of buildings is a problem. And moreover if you go in expecting more EUIV than CKII you'll be okay. I can't stress enough that while characters can play an important role, Imperator really, really is not a game about characters. Would I like that to change? Meh, not really. I would like to see more country building, more internal development, much better building tall (city states and small tribes should be able to fuck shit up), and expanded diplomacy first. Striking a balance between interesting characters who can actually affect world politics and stopping every random guy from splitting countries down the middle disastrously will be difficult methinks, if they get there at all.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Ludorum Rex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wizards and Warlords
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2019, 07:47:39 am »

This feels a lot closer to a cross between EUIV and Vicky 2 than it does CKII. Characters are importanto, but honestly I don't really want them to be that much more fleshed out--I barely look at them as it is.

I'll stand by what I said before in that it does have some blobbing issues--although my current Dacia run has been fairly blob free so far. I feel like diplomacy took a MAJOR step back, the political landscape between nations is excessively barren. I enjoy everything about pops, they can move, die, colonize, and be enslaved--not to mention shift classes. It's interesting, although I would like to see them do a bit MORE than just control taxes, production, and research via numbers. Definitely think warfare is better, keeping generals loyal, clan retinues, and various other improvements make even short wars fun.

I feel like most of what felt off is what other people said in that there's just not a whole lot to do in peace time--it's certainly not Stellaris level boring, but there is a vacuum of mechanics (once I got the hang of it, colonizing the Pannonian Basin and going through the steps to forming Dacia [and eventually becoming a republic] was very easy). TBH though, I feel like Paradox doesn't do internal development well at all--even Vicky 2 was not super satisfying in that regard and its ALL about that. I foresee many changes and additions, but little improvement.

Regarding the overall quality at release, after playing the game without much in the way of expectation (other than woo new PDS game!) I do feel like this has been a good launch. I don't think the small # of buildings is a problem. And moreover if you go in expecting more EUIV than CKII you'll be okay. I can't stress enough that while characters can play an important role, Imperator really, really is not a game about characters. Would I like that to change? Meh, not really. I would like to see more country building, more internal development, much better building tall (city states and small tribes should be able to fuck shit up), and expanded diplomacy first. Striking a balance between interesting characters who can actually affect world politics and stopping every random guy from splitting countries down the middle disastrously will be difficult methinks, if they get there at all.

I haven't been able to spend much time playing this game yet, but I disagree about the characters. I don't want CK2 style detail, but I think having "selfish" characters is essential to the era and getting internal instability right. With some tweaking, I think this approach of characters as "drama queens" could work extremely well. I don't like the scorned families mechanic and would prefer a bottomless pit of characters to recruit from - with individual characters of great prestige/wealth/power being the sole lynchpin of drama (rather than families).

A lot of the mechanics are very Rome-centric, and playing tribals/greeks feels really weird. I don't like how easy it is to build Germanic and Celtic kingdoms. Hopefully expansions will fix this.

As for the buildings - with the number of cities, it would be extremely unwieldy if there were more buildings. Perhaps additional provincial/regional/national buildings could be a way to add more variety to internal development.

The culture mechanics could be a good basis for more interesting internal development. Rather than spamming Conversion buttons (and rather oddly converting entire provinces drastically instantantenously), it would be cool to work on integrating conquered areas through various policies. I.e. Rome would create a Gallo-Roman elite in Gaul to establish control, the establishment of Satrapies for Greeks, colonization of targeted urban areas, mass enslavement, being forced to choose between violent pacification of tribes (at great cost in pops and risk of insurrectons) or accepting a high degree of local autonomy, etc.

I don't think culture converting pops should be necessary or even preferable in all cases. Having mechanics to represent cultural hegemony (essentially the fusion of imperial and local culture) and imperial control would be preferable, imo. If I conquer Dacia as Rome, I shouldn't need to bother with converting the local to Roman culture. I would rather focus on spending resources to solidify control of the area. Perhaps an "administrative center" kind of building that can be built to secure productivity regardless of local culture. These would then organically spread cultural hegemony over time and turn citizens/freemen into hybridized cultures. (which in the case of Rome was a thing from Britannia to Arabia).

To me the game feels like EU:IV meets Stellaris. The heritage from CK2 and Vicky 2 is relatively minor.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2019, 02:11:38 pm »

In case you fine folks didn't know it either, I just learned you can actually educate your heirs once they are 12. That explains why mine have had terrible stats. You need right-click the court teacher - second government title at left, title depends on culture - and you have the option to have him tutor your heir. Different teachers are better at teaching different things, effects depend on the teacher's traits. IMO this is another poor design choice. Why can't I just click on my heir to tutor him or have the choice come up automatically when they reach 12th year of age? Plus you can only tutor your primary heir, which is stoopid too. Surely the rest would be educated as well - or it should at least be our choice to not educate them. 

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2019, 07:50:01 am »

ck2 also had them popups when you can educate your kids...

well we getting "moving capitals" with the next patch... maybe we get a few more quality of live popups and such like in other paradox titles in this over time.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2019, 01:09:40 am »

I have to say, I am having so much more fun with warfare than in any other paradox title.

I declared war on Rome while they were attempting to annex my neighbor to catch them by surprise (and hopefully procure a few strategic provinces), what began as a border skirmish quickly escalated into my game's timeline's equivalent of the 2nd(?) Punic war.

Rome ended their border war to focus on destroying me (the #2 power [Dacia] in the Europe) and in turn I had to declare war on a coalition of small countries to to occupy a single province which could have allowed Rome to force an early white peace.

I may have overestimated my defenses. While armies swept back and forth over Roman Illyria (fighting over a dozen major engagements) a Roman legion penetrated my Southeastern border forts in the Wallachia area and created mass panic in a pretty supreme flank move towards my capital (Samum). Two of my armies were outright destroyed, and almost all the rest were beaten in two massive battles in an unfortunate attempt to retake my borderlands (which had been breached in several places at this point.) I had to pull everyone back to defeat the flanking Roman legion which was only a single province away from taking my capital (they actually started it sieging it down at one point).

I tried to end the war a couple of times by this point, but in classic Roman fashion, the Senate decided that Dacia Delenda Est and staunchly refused to give in while they had the upper hand. At this point, I defeated the legion which had threatened my capital (with overwhelming numbers), sent mercenaries to retake my fortresses in the Southeast of Wallachia and Northeast of the Alps, and began a renewed assault to retake my border. Lots of sieges ensued, slaves were exchanged, etc. etc. I managed to push the Romans almost entirely out, and ended any hope of another Roman invasion in one last great battle at the final fortress left in Roman hands.

I took a couple of provinces in Roman Illyria to show them I meant business and eventually after some futile attempts to regain the status quo they finally submitted to some minor border concessions. All in all, I walked away with two Roman provinces to begin consolidating my final border, a tribal vassal from my secondary war to capture the ONE province that might have been used to force a white peace on me, and drained Rome of both its money and manpower (both down to around only several thousand by the end). Honestly, I'm pretty stoked about the victory, with only half the max manpower and a somewhat weaker economy I was not sure I could pull off a major war against Rome, I had tons of roads and forts prepared as I was expecting to have to go on the defensive at some point, but I managed to keep around 2/5ths of manpower in the tank through the end of the war.

Nowadays, I'm back on the Northern colonization kick and getting ready to start a major war against a coalition of several relatively powerful regional powers to complete my southern conquests (Don't particularly want to get into Greece/Thrace/Macedon, just want that sweet Wallachia/Bulgaria area) while Rome has lost some minor border lands and has unfortunately landed themselves in another major war. Their economy is ridiculously strong so I doubt their ship is completely sunk, but they already had tons of threats to deal with and were more keeping pace than dominating--with a strong Carthage rolling Iberia, I think Rome has been successfully contained. And honestly? After some early setbacks, once they had unified the Italian peninsula, this was the first time they had actually been defeated by a rival power. Woot.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2019, 11:38:19 am »

Any idea if you can convert from Imperator: Rome to Crusader Kings 2?  Or are there still a couple centuries between them?

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2019, 02:43:11 pm »

I have to say, I am having so much more fun with warfare than in any other paradox title.
I was a huge fan of Europa Universalis: Rome, mostly because of the combat, and it's why I love Imperator as well. Maybe I'm a masochist, but I like the work needed to get the right resources you need for the units you want and just how much army composition affects attrition and how those two mechanics come together to create a new experience.

With the right armies, you can definitely punch above your weight class and it feels great when you win wars in your neighbourhood and all your neighbours can do is sit and grumble.

ZeroGravitas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2019, 07:16:10 pm »

Any idea if you can convert from Imperator: Rome to Crusader Kings 2?  Or are there still a couple centuries between them?

there's about 800 years between them

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2019, 09:04:10 pm »

Yeah the migration period is a pretty big missing link between the end of Imperator Rome and the start date of Vikings in my Byzantium simulator

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2019, 11:25:07 pm »

Yeah the migration period is a pretty big missing link between the end of Imperator Rome and the start date of Vikings in my Byzantium simulator
Well, by the end of any Paradox game's time period it's all pretty much fantasy anyway.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2019, 10:24:55 am »

Well, by the end of any Paradox game's time period it's all pretty much fantasy anyway.

Well, I see the game ends in BC 27.  I've seen a mod for Crusader Kings 2 set in the time of the fall of the Roman Empire, so I guess its possible to cross the divide with mods, although the earliest start date currently is 769.  I guess no tech before that date?

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2019, 03:46:05 pm »

Well, I see the game ends in BC 27.  I've seen a mod for Crusader Kings 2 set in the time of the fall of the Roman Empire, so I guess its possible to cross the divide with mods, although the earliest start date currently is 769.  I guess no tech before that date?
CK2 tech is very abstract anyway.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11