Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 1600s-1700s Colonialism mods ideas  (Read 799 times)

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
1600s-1700s Colonialism mods ideas
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:54:56 pm »

Over the last week, Ive actually been thinking about it and realized how cool it would actually be if there was an overhaul set of mods that made it possible to recreate how it felt to be the first colonies in the americas but on randomly generated continents. Of course, one may say that dwarf fortress sort of already is that considering how in fortress mode, you are indeed a bunch of colonists going to new lands, but there is potential to add in more, like charters, politics from the homeland and other stuff.

My question is would this even be practical goal? I made this post just for the discussion of the possibilities.
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.

Urlance Woolsbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 1600s-1700s Colonialism mods ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 05:25:57 pm »

Perhaps the biggest missing element here is boats. Without seafaring, there can be no Age of Discovery. Once those get added (sometime within the next decade, if we're lucky), this wouldn't be too far-fetched. But until that point I'd say this is infeasible without some fairly elaborate DFHackery.
"Hey papa, your dandruff is melting my skin. Is that normal?"
"SKREEEONK!!!"
"Yes, daddy."

Kamitorrorga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 06:15:41 pm »

Perhaps the biggest missing element here is boats. Without seafaring, there can be no Age of Discovery. Once those get added (sometime within the next decade, if we're lucky), this wouldn't be too far-fetched. But until that point I'd say this is infeasible without some fairly elaborate DFHackery.
True that. Has Toady said anything about there being boats of some sorts being in any future version of DF?
Advise 1: Babies + Miners doing an aquifer plug + underground = Floating Haunted Baby Fun.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 10:23:08 pm »

True that. Has Toady said anything about there being boats of some sorts being in any future version of DF?
Yes. A lot.
It's part of the Moving Fortress Parts update (see Dev notes).
I think one of the PC Gamer interviews goes into detail and various others.

Last fotf reply suggests he's still debating which comes first Boats or Economy. But both come after Starting Scenarios which covers all the society, laws and politics stuff and that comes after Mythgen, so yeah, a long time for all that yet as there's no doubt a few major releases for each of those (along with random year-long unscheduled updates like this one we're possibly in right now...).

Here's one interview (think there are others, maybe videos too)
https://www.pcgamer.com/why-the-creator-of-dwarf-fortress-is-really-excited-about-boats/
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:30:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 10:58:13 am »

To give an estimate: Ask again in about 3 years. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::