Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Effects For Myth/Magic  (Read 481 times)

TheRedwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Pagan Desert Bitch (she/they)
    • View Profile
New Effects For Myth/Magic
« on: February 18, 2019, 10:42:01 pm »

With the magic/myth gen update upcoming sometime in the future, I think that some changes/additions  to interactions, syndromes and other things like that would increase the possibilities of a magic system.

First, I think that syndromes should be able to change the materials a creature is made out of without turning it into a different creature. For example, this could be used in a spell to strengthen an ally’s bones by turning them to solid iron, or kill an enemy by making them turn to a gas or liquid.

Second, the current material interaction system can only simulate blunt globs of material. I suggest that the properties of a projectile used in an interaction in the raws like you would in item_ammo. This has probably been requested before, but changes to this would allow for an spell that launches a spike of ice, instead of a blunt ball.

Third, I think that certain megabeasts should have customizable (with raw modding) effects on the area around it’s lair. It could be as simple and mundane as the dragon’s lair having scorched trees and grass, to more overtly magical as having a water sphere aligned beast or titan’s lair surroundings having endless rain (until you kill it).

Fourth, it may be kind of hard, but I think that summoning creatures without the use of necromancy would be an excellent addition to the magic system. I think this may be slightly complicated, but to reduce legends strain the summoned creatures could live for like an hour and record their kills in the format of: Urist McAdventurer killed Urist McVampire with a summoned Demon Carp. With the addition of interaction  regents this could be reasonably balanced.

Lastly, I think that syndromes should allow the spellcaster/modded creature compell an enemy not want to fight or even want to fight alongside the caster. A adventurer who wishes to escape capture could charm the guards to let his escape, or a night creature could charm victims to it’s lair.

These are just some additions that would greatly increase the depth of a magic system, especially a randomly  generated one.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: New Effects For Myth/Magic
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2019, 01:53:00 am »

These seem reasonable. Seeing as you have this many ideas, I suggest you take a look at the "Sphere magic and associated effects" thread, where we try to brainstorm ideas for the upcoming magic systems to use.