Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noble Families as "organisations"  (Read 895 times)

JesterHell696

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ALL:PERSONAL]
    • View Profile
Noble Families as "organisations"
« on: February 15, 2019, 03:56:32 am »

I was reading the latest blog post and had the idea that when dealing the subject of noble family lines and succession that the criminal/religious groups made a good stand in with most of the members of the "family" being born into it while some marry into it with a inheritance based chain of command, sometimes the overlooked heir would form a counter organisation allowing family groups to split and then they would plan and plot against each other like the religious one do.
"The long-term goal is to create a fantasy world simulator in which it is possible to take part in a rich history, occupying a variety of roles through the course of several games." Bay 12 DF development page

"My stance is that Dwarf Fortress is first and foremost a simulation and that balance is a secondary objective that is always secondary to it being a simulation while at the same time cannot be ignored completely." -Neonivek

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Noble Families as "organisations"
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 10:54:18 am »

afaik, the way the current system works is that villainous networks are much like families, in that they only really consist of relationships and agreements. And this was because the entity style object is a little too rigid and overburdened right now.

So, technically speaking, families should more easily be pulled into a villainous network due them being a type of connection. (Though, not a criminal organisation, which is just pickpockets and hoodlums, the villainous networks themselves are much more like mafia.)

That said, entities should probably be able to say that to be part of this entity, or subgroup of an entity, you need to be family member of a preexisting member. This allows for clans, orders that are based around a family, castes, holy families, magical families, cursed families, proper royal and nobles, etc. I would want adoption to be fleshed out if this gets in though :p

And then there's other types of membership limiters we could think of, like, skill, experiences, wealth, appearance, etc.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2019, 03:50:56 pm »

Indeed, the family law should be more fleshed, both for commoners and nobles.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 07:21:53 am »

I was reading the latest blog post and had the idea that when dealing the subject of noble family lines and succession that the criminal/religious groups made a good stand in with most of the members of the "family" being born into it while some marry into it with a inheritance based chain of command, sometimes the overlooked heir would form a counter organisation allowing family groups to split and then they would plan and plot against each other like the religious one do.

What *is* a noble family?