Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Next Release  (Read 1973 times)

Miky2911

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Next Release
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:19:40 am »

Guys i'm quite new to the game, i looked at the development page and announces but i cant find any information on when the next release will be out, anyone know something or there is no ETA?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next Release
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 10:26:32 am »

Here, pull this lever, and the next version will be released.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 10:27:58 am »

Toady doesn't usually give expected release dates because they're very hard to predict.  So, there's really no good way to guess.  Even saying that it'll probably be a few months may turn out to be wildly inaccurate.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Miky2911

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:41:43 am »

Here, pull this lever, and the next version will be released.

You should become a stand up comedian

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2019, 12:26:12 pm »

Best I can say: fairly safe to assume it'll be out this year. I've learned by now that any more specific estimate is bound to be proven wrong. :P

Case in point, around this time last year most of us assumed this dev cycle (which was just starting then) would've been done for a couple months by now
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:42:43 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 01:08:29 pm »

Generally, once Toady starts talking about his tests of actual game mechanics and saying something along the lines of 'release is close', the release is close, but he's been only working on worldgen stuff for the past couple of months, trying to give the AI enough options to serve as interesting villains for the next 3~ years.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2019, 01:53:19 pm »

He did imply in the last monthly report that he was getting somewhat close to the end of worldgen work though, which is promising.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 01:56:42 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 05:56:33 pm »

He did imply in the last monthly report that he was getting somewhat close to the end of worldgen work though, which is promising.
I think I've seen devblog posts from 2012 hilariously suggestion the release (Df2014) is close... :)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »

I did say promising rather than guaranteed. This is of course Toady we're talking about. :P

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 07:13:22 pm »

I did say promising rather than guaranteed. This is of course Toady we're talking about. :P
I love that he promises to try to wrap things up for worldgen in January...in the February 1st Bay12 Report.  ;D

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 07:17:18 pm »

Pretty sure that was a typo, still funny tho. :)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 07:18:52 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 08:44:02 pm »

Are you sure, no year was mentioned...  :D

In general I think that it is great that Toady does not set himself a schedule since that allows for the most creative freedom.  What matters to me is that work on the game is progressing, not that some arbitrary feature list is ticked off on time.

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2019, 09:01:46 pm »

I agree. Plus this delayed dev cycle in particular has given us so many unexpected new features that I can hardly complain.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 06:33:52 am »

I would rather the release times remain flexible so Toady can have the freedom to be as creative as he sees fit.  Each release has been a pleasant surprise for me, and that's a fine way of doing it.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 11:40:07 am »

My estimate is sometime in late mars or april.

Ideally it should be ready, when it is ready. We are already missing too many hotly requested by players features, because Toady was hurrying up with releases. Hurried up releases are bad, because then Toady spends time adding missing features instead of fixing the endless sea of game breaking bugs. Well documented bugs, repetitiously reported and always backed with bugged file saves.

What worries me, there will be a time of entire 2 years of development for this magic system. As system, the magic system, will just add some additional functionality in both modes, as all systems always do. Still, it will take 2 years. During these 2 years we will not see any new patches for bugs, any new balancing made nor any still missing features finally added into DF both modes from what I understand.

I tried in december, january and february to play Adventure Mode. To see there, how broken from time to time is the engine, which translates the generated conceptual world and its actions into temporary world, there player acts, was to say at least quite educational. Sometimes it is not missing investment into increasing content, as missing investment into improving the game's engine, which kills modern games for players.

I hope Toady will not pause new bug fixes and old feature releases for entire 2 years and keep doing them every year like he is on right now. Even, if the new functionality of magic system we will have to wait for 2 years, which is imho ok. We can have no new functionality for one year, but bug fixes and missing features... those just have to be coming every year. It just feels so.
Pages: [1] 2